Kitty Hawk 1/48 F-101 A/C «Voodoo»

Hi Nikolay,

From what i've seen so far you've done a splendid job getting these polystyrene pieces to bend to your will.

I am not sure if you have been pondering this yourself, but the kit parts have sort of a rough "sandpapery" texture to them. Are you planning on giving the whole model a wet sand prior to painting? I think it would help the plane look less like an industrial grade aluminium casting.

Merely submitted for consideration.

-d-

• Like 1

8 hours ago, David H said:

the kit parts have sort of a rough "sandpapery" texture to them. 

?

I had none of this.

Wondering if you had a bad moulding, @David H ?

Like wrong temperature?

Nikolay 's looks OK to me...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, David H said:

Hi Nikolay,

From what i've seen so far you've done a splendid job getting these polystyrene pieces to bend to your will.

I am not sure if you have been pondering this yourself, but the kit parts have sort of a rough "sandpapery" texture to them. Are you planning on giving the whole model a wet sand prior to painting? I think it would help the plane look less like an industrial grade aluminium casting.

Merely submitted for consideration.

-d-

I must have been lucky as mine wasn't at all rough.  I had a Kittyhawk F-94C which was like that but the 101 is fine.

• Like 1

On 31/05/2018 at 06:20, David H said:

Thanks David! There’s no major issues with this kit, actually... But assembly is a bit tricky sometimes.

On 31/05/2018 at 06:20, David H said:

Yes, there are a subtle grit that I like 😉 I’ll think about sanding the whole surface a bit later, when I’m come close to the painting phase. Thanks for an advice!

19 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Nikolay 's looks OK to me...

You can see it on some photos Rob, but it’s very subtle and not so rough for my taste. The surface is gritty under the fingertips and very adhesive for the paint.

19 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

I must have been lucky as mine wasn't at all rough.  I had a Kittyhawk F-94C which was like that but the 101 is fine.

I recently purchased a second kit, so let’s see... And resin Weber seats... An obsession starts :facepalm:

Thanks for your opinions, friends!

Cheers! 🙃

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov
  • Like 2

Well, a bit busy weekend, but works goes great!

An intakes are sanded out at the bottom:

41653909735_53c3a98155_o.jpg

An intakes are sanded out at the top:

41653909585_491fcd2e4f_o.jpg

The dry-fitted left wing on its place:

41653909445_ecbf441ca2_o.jpg

The belly side with wings attached:

41653909255_fe956ba701_o.jpg

The splitter plate looks a bit long, but I like it a lot:

41653909175_e73a94f986_o.jpg

Another view with both wings attached, the splitter plates looks well:

27685288477_a749cf13a6_o.jpg

The starboard side with traces of the paint tests:

41653908835_2af6082cd7_o.jpg

I love these shapes, it’s looks very natural for me:

41653908625_7bc3bdef62_o.jpg

So, I need to use some Liquid Surface Primer to fill the smallest gaps and assemble the main landing gear before the wings can be glued to the fuselage...

Cheers! 🙃

• Like 4

Nice work! :)

Seems to be quite a gap in the wing seam, or will it get smaller once the wings are glued?

Håkan

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Azgaron said:

Nice work! :)

Thanks Håkan!

13 minutes ago, Azgaron said:

Seems to be quite a gap in the wing seam, or will it get smaller once the wings are glued?

You’re right, it will be a smaller one when the wings were pushed backwards and glued 😉

• Like 1

Got to say she's looking great!

I had no problem with the wing fit, for sure. One of the best things about the kit.

So positive a fit, I could have carried on without glue!

I had no modifications on the intakes of course!

So, what do you reckon with the little PE parts behind the doors?.?😂

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Got to say she's looking great!

Thanks Rob!

45 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

I had no problem with the wing fit, for sure. One of the best things about the kit.

So positive a fit, I could have carried on without glue!

Mine is no so straight. The wings will need some hard fixation, or I need better sanding on intakes’ pipes.

47 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

So, what do you reckon with the little PE parts behind the doors?.?😂

Yes, I’ll try it! I need to check my new CA glue, anyway 😊

19 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

Looks really good, I've test fitted mine and the gaps are huge. I opened up the locating 'hooks' which got it a bit closer but it still looks like a lot of filler.

Thanks @Silver Fox! As I said earlier this post, I think it’s because of intakes’ pipes that need some more sanding. I’ll try it and report back the results.

Cheers! 🙃

Looking much better now. The splitter plates are still too long. The hinge line should be just ahead of the lip. They obviously need cutting in two places, but at least the intakes are now square.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Looking much better now. The splitter plates are still too long. The hinge line should be just ahead of the lip. They obviously need cutting in two places, but at least the intakes are now square.

Thanks @bentwaters81tfw, I can cut a few millimeters between the lip and the hinge. Hope it will look better after that... Or just to cut a front edge of the splitter plate till the hinge? It seems like a easiest solution, but I have an idea to preserve a hinge panel lines 😉

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

My progress: Wings on, gaps minimised and filled, nose still needs a lot of sanding., hinge in the wrong place, staying that way.

Sounds not so bad, @Silver Fox! I painted an intakes inside, but can’t put the wings on their places because of the lenght of the splitter plates...

They’re a bit long, yet:

28747542248_9e11faaf09_o.jpg

48 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

First coat of primer reveals lots of areas for attention.

Same thing, man, same thing:

42621105211_a6ec250af1_o.jpg

The splitter plates needs more sanding and some cutting, again:

42621102221_feca813d35_o.jpg

Cheers, guys! 🙃

• Like 4

@bentwaters81tfw, as I looking at this picture, I can see that the splitter are long and thick (!), too:

28747542248_9e11faaf09_o.jpg

As it’s thick, I can just cut it from the front side, then sand to make it thinner and don’t think about the hinge, because... As I make it thin, the hinge disappears, anyway, right?! 🤔

• Like 1

6 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Pretty good job Nikolay Spassiba !

Very instructive thread too !

Keep carry on !

Sincerely.

CC

Мerci bien @corsaircorp!

The build goes its own way and become not so simple as I think... OK, I ready for the next step so keep your eyes on 😉

Cheers! 🙃

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I would just sand it all back. It's a huge improvement over the original.

Agreed. The panel line needs to be moved aft to a few scale inches forward of the intake lip, anyway, so there's no need to try to preserve it in its present position. LINK to photo

You've done a great job fixing the intakes! Of course you realize that once you finish the model, someone will release some resin drop-in replacement intakes. At least, that's how my luck usually runs! 😁

Cheers!

Ben 

Edited by Ben Brown
  • Like 1