Kitty Hawk 1/48 F-101 A/C «Voodoo»

The 2nd picture has reminded me, you may want to make a modification to the tail light at the very tip of the tailplane.

I cut the grey plastic shape off and made a new one from clear sprue.

It's not perfect but it's better than a painted one.

IMG_20180511_122425

Edited by rob Lyttle
pic
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

The 2nd picture has reminded me, you may want to make a modification to the tail light at the very tip of the tailplane.

I cut the grey plastic shape off and made a new one from clear sprue.

It's not perfect but it's better than a painted one.

Thanks Rob, it’s a good idea! I think I can do it, but after the sanding out a strip lights (already started) 😉 It would be great to see your Voodoo here!

2 hours ago, f111guru said:

Some additional photos may be an interest to you. Your doing a great job on this kit.

Thanks @f111guru, very rare and unusual photos here, very detailed views. I always wondering how the same (serial) planes are different from each other. Actually, the pictures of the ruined airplanes make me sad 😔

Thanks guys for the support, I’ll post the photos of the finished exhaust in day or two...

Cheers!

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov
  • Like 1

I don't like to "photo -bomb" other builders threads.

I never did a proper RFI for the Voodoo, and my little android phone camera is not great, but here she is almost complete...

IMG_20170414_123331

IMG_20170414_123253

You better make some space on your shelf...!😃

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

IMG_20170414_123331

Thanks Rob, she looks amazing! What the color is it?! Looks like a natural polished aluminum 😎

I painted some parts in Gunze H8 (Silver), as instructions said and it looks like a matt aluminum. The main color supposed to be a Super Plate Silver; I’ll try it and post my thoughts in the future.

Cheers!

6 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Nice paint job! :)

Thanks Håkan!

A small update for today; the fuselage parts are glued together, there is no excessive seams, the parts just need some orthopedic fixation:

40252036040_ff7a4be8f2_o.jpg

The belly side is a bit rude, but nothing serious:

41159556035_36cea5b402_o.jpg

P.S. @rob Lyttle, I sanded out the strip lights. Not a hard job, thank you for an advice!

Cheers 🙃

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Splints and a tourniquet, very orthopaedic but an excellent idea.

I like the exhausts also

John

Thanks John, an overall result is more than acceptable 😉

@rob Lyttle, looks like a wing strip lights needs to be sanded down, too:

40292213830_e630a0407f_o.jpg

Tested some fuselage joints and a Mr.HOBBY Super Metallic Silver paint. Looks like a natural metal finish, but requires some additional coats:

40292213990_b1d038753a_o.jpg

Not a lot of sanding as I expected; some amount of Liquid Surface Primer instead of putty and we almost have a nice belly of the Bird:

42099305861_f797e0d462_o.jpg

An overall progress for today:

42099306421_2a4ee7d7d1_o.jpg

Thanks for watching!

• Like 3

I remember reading somewhere ( can't remember where ) that F101As were eventually painted silver for corrosion protection, I don't know how accurate that is but there might be someone out there who knows for sure.

John

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

I remember reading somewhere ( can't remember where ) that F101As were eventually painted silver for corrosion protection, I don't know how accurate that is but there might be someone out there who knows for sure.

John

They’re looks so different on the different images, but it doesn’t looks like a paint for me. Maybe someone explain it to us...

Two airframes were painted all over ADC grey for corrosion protection. Others were part NMF, part Aluminium paint, part ADC Grey.

0f912aaf-e7e9-43c7-80f8-733c68c765e3.JPG

The front half is Alu paint, the spine area is ADC grey and the rest is NMF.

Stories about all over silver paint is spurious. It's one of those myths that gets repeated.

ad82abee-8007-4fc0-9355-56171eb737bb.jpg

This one is NMF and ADC grey.

2b70ed7b-e4c9-4ad9-97fd-4880522d4526.jpg

This is all NMF.

Another point is the decal sheet. Kitty Hawk have the 'buzz' number prefix as 'FR' Wrong! It should be FB.

Edited by bentwaters81tfw
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:Two airframes were painted all over ADC grey for corrosion protection. Others were part NMF, part Aluminium paint, part ADC Grey.

Stories about all over silver paint is spurious. It's one of those myths that gets repeated.

Thank you for the very detailed explanation, now I need to think twice about a painting scheme... It’s Gunze H61, I’ll give it a try.

3 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Another point is the decal sheet. Kitty Hawk have the 'buzz' number prefix as 'FR' Wrong! It should be FB.

Yes, I already knew it. At the starting point I’ve planned this build straight OOB, but since I look at these Birds at yours and other’s pictures, I changed my mind and dive into some (actually, necessary) modifications. I haven’t had a spare decals, but I think it’s not a big problem with my hands 🤔 @bentwaters81tfw, can you tell me, if I use a kit decals with a two-color paint scheme, it would be acceptable or a very inaccurate from the historical point of view?!

Thanks for amazing support!

You can go for the NMF and ADC scheme if you use the blue/yellow/red tail decal. This was the final wing colour incorporating all 3 squadron colours 79th, 91st, 92nd. It was only in the final 2 years '64-'66 that the grey paint was applied.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

You can go for the NMF and ADC scheme if you use the blue/yellow/red tail decal. This was the final wing colour incorporating all 3 squadron colours 79th, 91st, 92nd. It was only in the final 2 years '64-'66 that the grey paint was applied.

These looks OK:

28236412628_deec0cf0bc_o.jpg

Thank you!

• Like 1

Decals 49 and 50 are not used with the 3 colour fin. Any scheme before this is NMF only. I have 4 of these kits. They will be done with the three solid fin colours, and one with the final scheme. (I have extra decals!)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Note how the paint is applied around the tailplane pivot. No colour on the fin tip above the pivot.

Yes, got it! Can you say something about an upper sides of the wings?

Cheers!

4 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Decals 49 and 50 are not used with the 3 colour fin. Any scheme before this is NMF only. I have 4 of these kits. They will be done with the three solid fin colours, and one with the final scheme. (I have extra decals!)

Thanks for an information, it looks like I’ll have a long way before decals application. Anyway, these paint schemes are kind of PITA for me as a hand brusher 😑 But I do it!