Kitty Hawk 1/48 F-101 A/C «Voodoo»

On 15/06/2018 at 18:34, rob Lyttle said:

Hi Nikolay.

You like the 101 Voodoo, so how about the 104???

Hi Rob!

I think about a Starfighter build, but the local hobby shops haven’t had Hasegawa’s one...

On 15/06/2018 at 18:34, rob Lyttle said:

Have a read😃

Thanks, it’s very interesting! I like when these Birds are flying and alive 😃

Cheers!

P.S. Sorry guys, I’m on a summer vacation at the moment, so my answers a bit delayed.

• Like 1

A great builder at my club did one in 1/32 scale a few months ago.

Wow! Looked fantastic!!

So now I think I want to try one, but small.... 48 would be great but probably1 /72 to start.

Have a great vacation there, Nikolay 😎

Edited by rob Lyttle
  • Like 1

On 17/06/2018 at 01:58, rob Lyttle said:

So now I think I want to try one, but small.... 48 would be great but probably1 /72 to start.

Yay Rob, has the same idea today! But which one is choose for the build in 1/72?! Many years ago I have built an Academy’s one, but can’t remember anything great about this build...

On 17/06/2018 at 01:58, rob Lyttle said:

Have a great vacation there, Nikolay 😎

Thank you! 😊

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Silver Fox said:

Any progress Nikolay? I know you are on vacation but I have missed your updates..

Hello @Silver Fox, thanks for an interest in my work! I returned from the vacation, but I lost the mojo at the moment and had no progress yet. I’ll get back to work soon, I think.

1 hour ago, Silver Fox said:

I'm working away from home so I have made no progress.

We need a little creative rest, sometimes!

All the best 😎

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello friends! 👏

Just got some kicks from @Silver Fox for my unfinished work 😶 OK, I need to move forward!

The small seams between the wings and the fuselage are filled with a Liquid Surface Primer:

42668818194_0e86a726b4_o.jpg

The fit is very well.

On the right side of the image you can see a drop of the glue above the back of the splitter plate - this is where I have some problems after the wings was attached:

42668819354_054143ab6d_o.jpg

An overall progress at the moment:

42668818184_9e50f16b61_o.jpg

Actually, I get the right Weber seats from the Squadron Products, they looks amazing:

42276615575_1106365e67_o.jpg

Cheers! 😎

• Like 6

7 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

What..?

World Cup nearly finished...?;!

🏆😎

Yay, my creative rest was a slightly longer than I expected 🤔 And the Championship goes unpredictable...

7 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Good looking joints there on the plane.

And the seats look great.

You'll have a spare one, for the next one!

Thanks Rob! Looks like the seat must be a cherry on a pie 😎 I think I must complete the work with the kit’s seat before and seeing how it looks. At this moment the seats are placed in the spare kit’s box.

By the way, I saw the Kitty Hawk’s F-101B in the hobby shop today, but it was pricey (about a £55). Enough Voodoos I think.

Thanks for the interest 🙃 

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov
  • Like 1

Hello guys!

Looks like the problems with the splitter plates are fixed now:

41607450280_dfef0ab500_o.jpg

But the small seam between the fuselage and the wing still need some attention:

41607450330_7c096a4324_o.jpg

While the primer dries, I need to start the flaps assembly - the last thing in the wings’ construction process.

Cheers! 🙃

• Like 3

On 14/07/2018 at 00:25, Azgaron said:

Nice work Nikolay! :)

Thanks Håkan!

But these little sanding works here and there are slowing down an overall progress a bit...

Great work Nikolay !

I like your attention to details, did you have tried the PPP for these little seams !

It work pretty well !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

2 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Great work Nikolay !

Thanks @corsaircorp!

2 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

I like your attention to details, did you have tried the PPP for these little seams !

Sorry, what is «PPP»? As I understand, the second two Ps is stands for the Plastic Putty 🤔

@bentwaters81tfw, do I need to install the flaps in the neutral position or I can place it up or down? My Voodoo would be on her legs.

Cheers!

PPP Deluxe Perfect Plastic Putty.

All my photos show flaps up when parked, up when taxiing after landing. Flaps are dropped for pre-flight checks and taxi out. I only have one photo of a machine parked with the speed brakes deployed. No pictures with the IFR probe extended, so in essence, the machine is parked in 'clean' configuration.

Canopy position is optional.

The tailplane is at a 10 degree tail down configuration when the aircraft is parked, i.e. 'Stick forward of neutral'.

Edited by bentwaters81tfw
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

PPP Deluxe Perfect Plastic Putty.

Thanks for clarification 🤝

19 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

All my photos show flaps up when parked, up when taxiing after landing. Flaps are dropped for pre-flight checks and taxi out. I only have one photo of a machine parked with the speed brakes deployed. No pictures with the IFR probe extended, so in essence, the machine is parked in 'clean' configuration.

Canopy position is optional.

Oh, I intend to show the IFR probe 🤔 The tail plane pivot is another disappointing thing in this model: we can see an aperture in the tail, so it would be another (actually, the moving) part between the rudder’s halves.

Thanks, @bentwaters81tfw!

P.S. Have you purchased the «B» box or you waiting for the forthcoming RF? Or would you skip both? 😉

2 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

When the tailplane is at rest, there is a hole visible through the fin at the base of the pivot.

Yes, that what I have to said. I needed to cut the hole earlier; the second kit is on the stash...

4 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Which decal scheme are you using?

I want to use a three-color decal scheme with NMF and ADC Gray color scheme:

ad82abee-8007-4fc0-9355-56171eb737bb.jpg

Love this red intakes edging 🤗

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

The fin top is NMF, not painted. No blue paint above the pivot.

Yes, and I need to skip these little decals on the pivot, as you said before.

P.S. The flaps is in the bottom position on this image, looks like a 10 degrees, too.

19 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Yes, and I need to skip these little decals on the pivot, as you said before.

P.S. The flaps is in the bottom position on this image, looks like a 10 degrees, too.

That is aileron deflection, as is the rudder. Possible the control lock is fitted. I have no other pictures with aileron deflection.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

That is aileron deflection, as is the rudder. Possible the control lock is fitted. I have no other pictures with aileron deflection.

OK, I understand. Thanks!

A couple of observations about control surfaces.

If the -101 had a dual, fully powered hydraulic control system, ailerons tend to return to very close to a neutral position when powered, when the stick is released. As the hydraulic system ages and the seals leak slightly, its not unusual to see ailerons "droop" slightly when de-powered. Very often manufacturers incorporate a differential to the aileron bellcrank system (if used) so one aileron, usually the one going downward goes down less than the one on the opposite side going up.

As for the tailplane, it seems the de-powered state for the tailplane was leading edge nose up, just like an F3H Demon or an F4H Phantom.

With rudders, if there is any sort of a crosswind, it will push to deflect the rudder as pressure bleeds down in the system. However, since the system is irreversible wind coming from the other side will not push it back in the opposite direction. And it has to be fairly strong wind too.

As to the fairing above the stabilizer, i don't think its bare metal. I think its a fiberglass/composite fairing, painted a glossy light gray...possibly the same as ADC gray.

Just my thoughts...

david

• Thanks 1