Kitty Hawk 1/48 F-101 A/C «Voodoo»

I have 2 in that boxing, and 2 more in Hasegawa boxes, and a further two built with the fighter bomber nose, plus more conversions and Bentwaters decals.

4 Kitty Hawk, 1 Monogram with C&H conversion, and 1 Combat Wings 1/32 scale monster. Do you think I like Voodoos?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 23/05/2018 at 08:06, rob Lyttle said:

(Don't ask, Nik,..... don't ask!)😃

Looks like a Voodoo mania starts here 😵 This kit reminds me a Hasegawa's one which I built a twenty years ago... Not the bad one, but FROG's looks much better and so authentic in silver molding!

Give it to me! 🙃

On 23/05/2018 at 08:12, bentwaters81tfw said:

I have 2 in that boxing, and 2 more in Hasegawa boxes, and a further two built with the fighter bomber nose, plus more conversions and Bentwaters decals.

4 Kitty Hawk, 1 Monogram with C&H conversion, and 1 Combat Wings 1/32 scale monster. Do you think I like Voodoos?

As for a number of mistakes I've made with this current build, it looks like I can buy the Kitty Hawk's kit again (for a bargain price), probably!

On 23/05/2018 at 08:53, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

A 1/32nd VooDoo ? ... That thing must be a monster when its built. How long is it supposed to be ? 

Look: Combat Models 1/32 F-101C Voodoo 😮

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

mistakes I've made with this current build, it looks like I can buy the Kitty Hawk's kit

You're doing great with this one!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Looking at that built up, the nose is too skinny. The canopy is wrong too. I will have to do something about that.

Yes, the Voodoo has an unique shapes and any subtle changes in model design become very noticeable (the Hasegawa’s one is a bit thick, I think); the Kitty Hawk’s one is the best, in my opinion (because of the large scale, maybe).

10 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

You're doing great with this one!

Thanks Rob! I mispainted an intakes and I can’t repair it now :sad: It is not so visible, fortunately.

Thanks guys, hope to reshape the wing intakes today, let’s see 🙂

On 5/23/2018 at 12:06 AM, rob Lyttle said:

Some great advice and information being shared on here.

Many thanks esp. to @bentwaters81tfw for expertise.

I need to be making notes!

For entertainment purposes, here's the only Voodoo kit I have left in the pile...

IMG_20180522_224424

There is an original price sticker on the Box end from "Sports & Hobbies of Gravesend - looks like 6/1..... that is 6shillings and 1 Pence UK pre-decimal money!

(Don't ask, Nik,..... don't ask!)😃

IMG_20180522_224517

To be honest, it looks better than the Matchbox 2seater.

Moulded in Japan!

This build is nudging me to build a 101.

Pretty old!

Released:1970
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/177669-frog-f282-mcdonnell-rf-101c-voodoo#

• Like 1

Hi Nikolay,

I just now found your build thread and read through it. You are doing a great job on this kit! I'm starting to regret selling mine and might have to go find another one. 😁 

I like your solution to the intake problem. I did the same thing on my two C&H conversions. Kitty Hawk's kit designer deserves a swift kick in the nads for that screw-up (and for using photo etch for the cockpit consoles!). They're releasing the RF-101A/C with incorrect intakes, too.

If you decide to make a clear cover for the tail light, use cyanoacrylate glue to attach a chunk of clear sprue and then sand it to shape. If you don't like how it looks, it's easy to snap it off and try again with a new piece.  

Cheers!

Ben

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

I just now found your build thread and read through it. You are doing a great job on this kit! I'm starting to regret selling mine and might have to go find another one. 😁

Thanks for this kind of words Ben, I’m really appreciate it! There’s a some Voodoos on eBay for about a $45, so it’s not a big problem to find another one 🙂 I’m thinking of the second to buying soon.

I like your solution to the intake problem. I did the same thing on my two C&H conversions. Kitty Hawk's kit designer deserves a swift kick in the nads for that screw-up (and for using photo etch for the cockpit consoles!). They're releasing the RF-101A/C with incorrect intakes, too.

Yes and no 🤔 The designer did a great job with this kit, but I can’t see the problem to re-arrange some details on sprues and make one with the proper wings for the RF- and A/C noses, and other for the B-version with double-seater nose. And speed brakes, why not to do it with two separate details?!

I sanding an intakes just now, so I’ll post the results in few days, I think.

If you decide to make a clear cover for the tail light, use cyanoacrylate glue to attach a chunk of clear sprue and then sand it to shape. If you don't like how it looks, it's easy to snap it off and try again with a new piece.

Thanks for an advice, I’ll think about it later. My idea is to copy the kit detail from the clear sprue and attach it later. But your solution is easier, I need to try it!

Thank you!

Cheers! 👏

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov

Hello guys!

Lost a bit of mojo with this build because of some details (not necessary details in a modern world of 3D-technologies, actually) are boring me, like this:

28509158568_4942bc2815_o.jpg

My father saying me that it’s not a good idea to cut an intakes, my wife said the same (but provide me her best sanding stick) and I nailed it:

28509158968_e6bd2d911c_o.jpg

I like this shape, but it requires a bit more work (not put my hands on splitter plates, yet):

28509158768_653131f1f9_o.jpg

Cheers! 🙃

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Nice workl! :)

Håkan

Thanks Håkan!

I’m not planned to show you work in progress on this stage, but once I take a pictures I’ll show you some... You’ll be surprised 😁

An intake splitters (top view):

42391820581_7c779c2feb_o.jpg

An intake splitters (bottom view):

42391820211_bbe9a77b3e_o.jpg

I decided to cut a strip off instead of rude sanding to make it shorter (yes, it’s a very unusual approach):

42391820021_31c6fa7e8d_o.jpg

Something like this:

27521462417_337111134c_o.jpg

After the back edges of the splitter plates are placed in, the front ones are waiting for some reshaping and cutting, too:

27521461317_9d988fe9bd_o.jpg

Cheers! 😎

• Like 8

On 28/05/2018 at 01:03, Azgaron said:

Some work, but I think it will look good when done! :)

Thanks Håkan, I hope it would be!

4 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Fearless bit of modelling, Nikolay!🌟🌟🌟

Nice work with the saw.

Is that one of those Dexter mini blades?

I've been searching the traders stalls at shows for one of those.

No luck yet.

Thanks Rob! It’s fearless (maybe because I purchased yet another kit) 😎 The blades is an OLFA brand, the standard ones which comes with Tamiya Handy Craft Saw II. It was my first experience with this, and I like the results.

Cheers! 🙃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello friends!

Not a lot of progress on this build, but some work is done today. I feel that I’m very close to the wings attachment phase, but the fuselage needs some tweaking here and there 🤔

The starboard side is already very shiny, not bad at all:

28562918278_df35dd3252_o.jpg

The nose are glued on, the Voodoo goes big:

42385468912_0200af2b4e_o.jpg

And an intake splitter plate is in its place now... @bentwaters81tfw, yay or nay?! Now it’s looks better for me:

42385468872_004023ec67_o.jpg

Watch out for the future updates 😎

Cheers!

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Hello friends!

Not a lot of progress on this build, but some work is done today. I feel that I’m very close to the wings attachment phase, but the fuselage needs some tweaking here and there 🤔

The starboard side is already very shiny, not bad at all:

28562918278_df35dd3252_o.jpg

The nose are glued on, the Voodoo goes big:

42385468912_0200af2b4e_o.jpg

And an intake splitter plate is in its place now... @bentwaters81tfw, yay or nay?! Now it’s looks better for me:

42385468872_004023ec67_o.jpg

Watch out for the future updates 😎

Cheers!

Looks like you nailed it. Without having my kits to hand, shortening the splitter plates as you have seems to be correct. Once everything is in place we will see how it looks. I had not allowed for the length differences in my advice to you.

I like that little saw.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Looks like you nailed it. Without having my kits to hand, shortening the splitter plates as you have seems to be correct. Once everything is in place we will see how it looks. I had not allowed for the length differences in my advice to you.

I like that little saw.

Thank you, I’m very pleased to hear it from you! As for the length of the splitter plates, we can see on the different photos from this thread that they’re so different, too - from the nearly zero on a development airframes to some extent on others - they should be cutted a bit, anyway.

Just done with the second one, I’ll post the results tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Silver Fox said:

I am following your build with my own and learning so much. Thank you.

Thank you @Silver Fox for an interest in my build! Unexpectedly, I’m learning so much during this build, too 😮

Can’t see your Voodoo WIP thread here, or it’s doesn’t exist yet?

Thanks guys! 🤝

54 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Thank you @Silver Fox for an interest in my build! Unexpectedly, I’m learning so much during this build, too 😮

Can’t see your Voodoo WIP thread here, or it’s doesn’t exist yet?

Thanks guys! 🤝

No WIP I'm afraid, I didn't take any photos at the start , but if you do not mind I could take and post a single picture in your thread.??

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

No WIP I'm afraid, I didn't take any photos at the start , but if you do not mind I could take and post a single picture in your thread.??

Sure thing, it’s would be very interesting!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Nice work Nikolay! The splitter guard turned out looking great! :)

Thanks Håkan!

Just takes some photos of the both intakes before sanding, they’re looks good!

The top view:

42395104922_04933d1a2e_o.jpg

The bottom view:

41543503885_739b436f05_o.jpg

An overall view:

42395104642_2b007fbe86_o.jpg

The wings at the moment:

42395104542_4b689ac729_o.jpg

Cheers! 😎

• Like 8

Nikolay,

not to hijack your thread but here is my progress:

IMGP6887

you can see the filler lines on the joints, the port side is much cleaner, the starboard just didn't fit as well.

The next job is to tackle the wings and intakes.

Following you avidly.

Andy

• Like 7