Kitty Hawk 1/48 F-101 A/C «Voodoo»

Hello guys! 👏

Some update for today!

The fuselage growing big:

42272615521_6a59c0c4d0_o.jpg

The wings are sanded, the main landing gear bays are painted; some little details work:

28399850348_1bef6a51d6_o.jpg

A bit updated wing profile:

40466064400_7c740a2f94_o.jpg

The third coat of the NMF is applied to the elevators, now it looks very realistic to me:

42272615801_428f0360b9_o.jpg

The fuselage at the moment:

42272615761_1d58a7c735_o.jpg

A lot of sanding works...

Thanks for watching! Cheers 😉

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

Looking good,. How was the tail to fuselage joint? Dry fitting mine it looks well out.

Thank you! The joint was OK, just OK: not so smooth and needed some strong fixation, but now it is on its place and fits great after an excessive glueing from the inside.

Coming along well. Suggestions have been made about joining the fuselage into full length halves, to eliminate the step created by adding the nose and tail sections to the completed centre section.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Coming along well. Suggestions have been made about joining the fuselage into full length halves, to eliminate the step created by adding the nose and tail sections to the completed centre section.

Unfortunately, I followed the instructions and completed the fuselage sections step-by-step 🙄 @bentwaters81tfw, can you tell me about a refueling probe color? It looks Black on some photos, not the Silver, right? And the canopy opening mechanism, I suggest it’s Gray, but looks like a green, too...

The IFR probe was alternate black and yellow bands. From the nozzle, starting with black, there were 7 black and 6 yellow bands. This was certainly the case for the single seaters. The canopy interior frame is black, The internal front edge of the canopy bow is grey, the release/locking lever is yellow.

The nosegear bay is unpainted aluminium. The nose gear uplock jaws are red. All gear doors are red inside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Håkan!

Guys, it’s OK to cut here (above the tape)?

41558961194_512661e4a0_o.jpg

The plans are bit different over the Net, so it’s better to cut a small than a big, aren’t it’s?!

41558960664_dcacc2a368_o.jpg

Any (simple ☺️) suggestions are welcome!

Cheers!

2 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

The IFR probe was alternate black and yellow bands. From the nozzle, starting with black, there were 7 black and 6 yellow bands. This was certainly the case for the single seaters.

101a.refuel.probe.jpg

Got it!

• Like 2

Cross checking the references, yes. The intakes need shortening where you have taped. The type IIIC intake of the 2 seater extends further forward along the fuselage. Don't forget the reduce the length of the splitter plate too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Cross checking the references, yes. The intakes need shortening where you have taped. The type IIIC intake of the 2 seater extends further forward along the fuselage.

I’ll cut the masked area and will put the «shaped» front part on its place, right? In this case I don’t need to do this complex shape manually, by sanding and scribing / riveting.

15 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Don't forget the reduce the length of the splitter plate too.

Sure thing, thanks!

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov

4 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

I’ll cut the masked area and will put the «shaped» front part on its place, right? In this case I don’t need to do this complex shape manually, by sanding and scribing / riveting.

NO! Cut the front off up to the line of the tape. The intake must be at 90 degrees to the fuselage. Discard the red shaded areas.

346c1ebd-8c22-48d7-bc51-137fc45855da.jpg

You may need to file the lower lip to reprofile it as per this picture.

5468769f-0c61-4d1c-9b74-4db367566382.jpg

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

NO! Cut the front off up to the line of the tape. The intake must be at 90 degrees to the fuselage.

Sorry, I misinterpreted your message. OK, it’s not so complex I think... Thank you for an explanation, as always 🤝

Cheers, friends!

11 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Sorry, I misinterpreted your message. OK, it’s not so complex I think... Thank you for an explanation, as always 🤝

Cheers, friends!

When you shorten the splitter plate, file it back from the front edge, not the back.

• Like 1

Some great advice and information being shared on here.

Many thanks esp. to @bentwaters81tfw for expertise.

I need to be making notes!

For entertainment purposes, here's the only Voodoo kit I have left in the pile...

IMG_20180522_224424

There is an original price sticker on the Box end from "Sports & Hobbies of Gravesend - looks like 6/1..... that is 6shillings and 1 Pence UK pre-decimal money!

(Don't ask, Nik,..... don't ask!)😃

IMG_20180522_224517

To be honest, it looks better than the Matchbox 2seater.

Moulded in Japan!

This build is nudging me to build a 101.

• Like 2