Kitty Hawk 1/48 F-101 A/C «Voodoo»

After the perfect fit in the cockpit assembly, the landing gear phase became a bit tricky...

The parts designed very well, but needs some sanding, scribing and cutting. It takes a lot of time, but glued and dry-fitted into the gear bay at the moment:

41251523394_0d65ed1857_o.jpg

Well detailed mechanics:

41925665762_79f449974b_o.jpg

The result:

41925665892_18f927c0cd_o.jpg

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov
  • Like 4

Hello Nicolay !

welcome back to the Hobby, F-101 ! Great start and great job too !

I've got the same kit in the stash so I'll follow with attention.

Da zvidanie

sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

Yay Britmodellers, the build goes on!

The cockpit glued into the fuselage and the nose landing gear if finally painted:

41078253085_6c68a7ae52_o.jpg

More detailed view:

41933437452_bede0e060e_o.jpg

An intakes already assembled and dry-fitted:

28106561758_ff3b95bba7_o.jpg

An exhaust, painted with Burnt Iron color:

28106561408_c2abfc21c1_o.jpg

Amazing color, I love the Gunze Sangyo:

40170906060_e7e7d115e8_o.jpg

All in place (dry fit):

40170905190_0bf39bcb2a_o.jpg

The details fits very well, not a lot of sanding work (yet), I really enjoy the build 🙂

Such a lovely bird it would be, and yes, she’s big and beautiful:

40170904490_8ae8a371bb_o.jpg

Cheers, thanks for watching!

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, Azgaron said:

Nice work! It's nice when fit is good! :)

Håkan

Thanks Håkan! I read some articles over the Internet with this model’s other builds and fortunately, can’t find any issues related to their builds. OK, let’s look forward!

😎

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

Loving this thread. Great work so far Nikolay, keep up the good work.

Thanks Roger! It’s very fascinating, sometimes I can’t stop 😵

• Like 1

Not an easiest work with exhaust PE parts are done, an overall quality is more than OK for me:

41113893525_b5d7a0616c_k.jpg

The disassembled view:

41293966824_5db708b684_k.jpg

An assembled view:

41293966994_006e0baedc_z.jpg

The both parts of the fuselage glued together, an intakes are partly protected from the future sanding:

27144243127_2553029808_k.jpg

Cheers! 😉

• Like 9

16 hours ago, Yeoman1942 said:

Ditto on the paint.

Great work so far.

1 hour ago, Azgaron said:

Nice work! Exhausts looks great! :)

Håkan

Thanks guys! I tend to do all the small things in the beginning. Can’t wait to see her assembled 🤤

Excellent work, Nic 

I had serious trouble with the PE exhausts, and the instructions are bad. I like your solution.

A couple of decisions for you, soon.

1. The strip lights on sides and tail.

All the information is that they are wrong, should not be there.

I think kittyhawk put them on to suit the two -seater B, which would have a different front fuselage moulding onto this same mid section.

Note there are no strip lights on your A/C front fuselage.

2. Tiny little PE parts behind the intakes. I mean TINY !

You going to try them??

I didn't!😃

f-101c27tfw

(No lights)

Edited by rob Lyttle
pic
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Excellent work, Nic 

I had serious trouble with the PE exhausts, and the instructions are bad. I like your solution.

A couple of decisions for you, soon.

1. The strip lights on sides and tail.

All the information is that they are wrong, should not be there.

I think kittyhawk put them on to suit the two -seater B, which would have a different front fuselage moulding onto this same mid section.

Note there are no strip lights on your A/C front fuselage.

2. Tiny little PE parts behind the intakes. I mean TINY !

You going to try them??

I didn't!😃

Thanks @rob Lyttle! You’re absolutely right about a strip lights, but I’m little scared to remove them (otherwise, why not to try?!) 🤔 The tiny PE parts behind the intakes are necessary, but it takes a few moments before I put my hands on this build section (I’ll try them and let you know).

Yes, the instructions are bit unclear, especially about a painting. Thanks for the photo card, it’s very informative, I see all the colors that I have to use (I’ll take it as a reference)!

Cheers!

2 minutes ago, Thud4444 said:

Great build so far!  Is it me or is that fuselage crazy complicated?  Or am I just super lazy? 

Thanks @Thud4444!

The fuselage is a bit complicated at the first sight but, actually, needs some attention and accuracy.

All the best 😉

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

strip lights, but I’m little scared to remove them (otherwise, why not to try?!) 

They come off easily. You can get at them as they are on the top of a curved surface.  Just file off with an emery-board.

(If I ever write stuff you don't understand, Nik, you must say so and I will try again! But you're doing great on the language too)

• Like 1

Wonderful build thus far. Amazing what the extra details from etched products produce. At one time, I believe was the original F-101A Aptly name Firewall. It's no longer at Cannon AFB. It was disassembled and sent somewhere along with the other gate guards. I'll have to upload to flickr and post here. Thank you for the continuing build.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 2

When I read the first reviews and build reports on this kit with all their negative comments about bad fit I decided that I would probably not buy one, but I’m beginnning to change my mind about it now.

Keep up the good work.

John

• Like 2

this is the walkaround pictures of the 2seater, painted grey unfortunately (!)

Have you seen these?

Might help with some of the details👍

@Biggles87 I think that was smart Alec "experts" trying to show off how good they are.

Edited by rob Lyttle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rob Lyttle said:

They come off easily. You can get at them as they are on the top of a curved surface.  Just file off with an emery-board.

(If I ever write stuff you don't understand, Nik, you must say so and I will try again! But you're doing great on the language too)

Thanks @rob Lyttle, I clearly understand what you said, I’ll try to sand them out. I re-read some of my previous posts and found some language issues, isn’t it? 🤓

1 hour ago, f111guru said:

Wonderful build thus far. Amazing what the extra details from etched products produce. At one time, I believe was the original F-101A Aptly name Firewall. It's no longer at Cannon AFB. It was disassembled and sent somewhere along with the other gate guards. I'll have to upload to flickr and post here. Thank you for the continuing build.

Ron VanDerwarker

Thanks Ron, I would be very interesting to see it!

10 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

When I read the first reviews and build reports on this kit with all their negative comments about bad fit I decided that I would probably not buy one, but I’m beginnning to change my mind about it now.

Keep up the good work.

John

I had the same thoughts as you John, until I started to build the Bird; I had two options between the Kitty Hawk’s and Valom’s (1/72) models, but choose the first one because of practically the same prices on eBay. I recommend it for you! 😎

11 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

this is the walkaround pictures of the 2seater, painted grey unfortunately (!)

Have you seen these?

Might help with some of the details👍

Thanks again Rob, amazing pictures here! I noticed that I was painted an intake cones in Silver, bet they are Black 😕 Unclear instructions, again...

Cheers guys, thanks for support and very interesting conversation, as always 👏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

Going to attempt to insert an image or two. These are a before and after it was removed from its original display stand. I have lots more.

100_0358100_0353100_3329100_3358

• Like 5
  • Sad 1