1/32 Wingnut Wings Fokker EII Eindecker

Dear all,

Following on from my recent WNW Albatros DV, I have now just completed the WNW Fokker EII eindecker kit.  Completed in the markings of Von Creilsheim October 1915.  This really is a super kit being very straight forward (for a WW1 aircraft) and uncomplicated resulting in a very stress free build as this was a joy to put together - no assembly issues at all - I cannot highly rate this kit enough it is that good.  The only (slight) criticism is that the rigging diagram (unusual for WNW) is difficult to follow so I had to keep looking at images online to really figure out where all the lines run.

I found this one really difficult to put down so completed this in just under four weeks.   As always build OOB and entirely brush painted.  Rigged using home made eyelets from fine copper wire and Uschi elastic thread and invisible mending thread for elevator and rudder.   restrained weathering acheived using artist oils, acrylic washes and some dry brushing.

Apologies if I have attached too many pictures.

Comments/observations welcome.

Regards

Dave

HdyPGB0.jpg

K47G84m.jpg

0f0r50a.jpg

2u1Thcq.jpg

0Aq2M0Y.jpg

uO9XZUB.jpg

OcmD3aW.jpg

Cf9txFZ.jpg

tehBafx.jpg

j1ff6rJ.jpg

0Au57DA.jpg

nLzYzkt.jpg

9K71TtJ.jpg

adMyCWY.jpg

• Like 46
  • Thanks 1

Not possible to have too many pics of that, great result!

I feel my resistance to obtaining my first WNW kit eroding with every WNW thread.

• Haha 1

Excellent result I especially like the brushed engine cowl. What colours did you use to get the contrast between the two silver colours? 

Andrew. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Bear Paw said:

Excellent result I especially like the brushed engine cowl. What colours did you use to get the contrast between the two silver colours? 

Andrew. 

Hello Andrew

Thank you.  The brushed cowling was achieved by first painting steel on the metal areas.  I the dry brushed aluminium on over the top especially raised areas to give a sense of depth and shade.  The final part is simply painting (with a very fine brush) in silver squiggly lines all over trying not to overlap them.

This is just a slight variation on WNW s technique as shown on their hints and tips page of their website.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Lovely  job Dave. I love to see wood effect painting, it fascinates me how many different approaches there are. Your propeller looks great. 

I'm becoming a bit obsessed with Wingnut Wings, even seeing the name gets me all excited. 

Recently made a version of this myself (EIII late) and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have to agree with you about the rigging diagrams, it's almost like you have to be in the zone and concentrate on a single line at a time. I'd like a few more directions, maybe from different angles. I find the same with all the Wingnut kits I have in my stash, after looking at the rigging for an FE.2B I had to go and have a lie down.

I like your cowling, it's looks lifelike. I used a sharpened cocktail stick myself for the wiggly lines. 

Well done on your home made eyelets, that's something I haven't attempted as yet. 

Have you any plans for another Wingnut kit? 

All the best, Martin 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Martin Ford said:

Lovely  job Dave. I love to see wood effect painting, it fascinates me how many different approaches there are. Your propeller looks great. 

I'm becoming a bit obsessed with Wingnut Wings, even seeing the name gets me all excited. 

Recently made a version of this myself (EIII late) and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have to agree with you about the rigging diagrams, it's almost like you have to be in the zone and concentrate on a single line at a time. I'd like a few more directions, maybe from different angles. I find the same with all the Wingnut kits I have in my stash, after looking at the rigging for an FE.2B I had to go and have a lie down.

I like your cowling, it's looks lifelike. I used a sharpened cocktail stick myself for the wiggly lines. 

Well done on your home made eyelets, that's something I haven't attempted as yet. 

Have you any plans for another Wingnut kit? 

All the best, Martin 

Hello, Martin 

Thank you kindly!

Yes, me too - WNW have really set the standard.  I currently have six in my small (seven kits) stash and this includes the new Junkets DI kit which looks very impressive in the box.  I'm currently building the Eduard Bristol fighter but the DI will follow this one.

How about you - what Wnw kit are going to do next?

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Epeeman said:

Hello, Martin 

Thank you kindly!

Yes, me too - WNW have really set the standard.  I currently have six in my small (seven kits) stash and this includes the new Junkets DI kit which looks very impressive in the box.  I'm currently building the Eduard Bristol fighter but the DI will follow this one.

How about you - what Wnw kit are going to do next?

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave, I have 7 left in my stash and have just made the Eindecker. They are wonderful and exciting for sure. I may make my Jeannin Stahltaube or may go with my Sopwith Camel. But I might just cherish them and read the instructions again and again. Decisions, decisions. 😊

All the best,  Martin 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

That really is a little beauty Dave, I must have missed it when you posted it a couple of weeks ago. Glad I caught up with in now though!

As others have already said, the turned effect on the cowlings is outstanding. I agree with you on the light weathering, less is definitely more.

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1