Best panel scriber

Mad4kits2

On 02/05/2018 at 17:31, Tony Oliver said:

Tamiya plastic scriber mate 

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/74091scriber2/index.htm

Ps dont use masking tape, try and get hold of some dymo embossing plastic tape. Thicker so acts better as a guide to run up against/alongside. 

I use this but it's quite aggressive and it slips VERY easily.  

This is the guide tape I use: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIQ-Parts-Scribing-Guide-Tape-6mm/183105661389?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

1 hour ago, planehazza said:

Would suggest you use less pressure, let the blade do the work in a number of passes, rather than trying to do it in one or two passes.

That way, should the blade slip / bounce it minimal clean up......just a thought.

Another scriber I can suggest is the olfa 'P' cutter 150, it's smaller and lighter than the Tamiya version.

Still available, as are the blades, Google IS your friend!

HTH

1 hour ago, planehazza said:

This is the guide tape I use: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIQ-Parts-Scribing-Guide-Tape-6mm/183105661389?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

3 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Would suggest you use less pressure, let the blade do the work in a number of passes, rather than trying to do it in one or two passes.

That way, should the blade slip / bounce it minimal clean up......just a thought.

Another scriber I can suggest is the olfa 'P' cutter 150, it's smaller and lighter than the Tamiya version.

Still available, as are the blades, Google IS your friend!

HTH

What he said. Use less pressure and take your time.  A plastic scriber that wasn’t ‘aggressive’ would be like having a dog that doesn’t bark. 

As for slipping, a blade that was rougher to grip better (if thats at all possible) wouldn’t cut as clean! 

Can’t have it all! 

3 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

..........................would be like having a dog that doesn’t bark.

Ah, Tony's got a Basenji......:whistle:

Paul

I have the Tamiya scriber, and can agree with all the above - i.e. it is very aggressive, but multiple light passes is the way to go.

However what I'd like to know is how to 'soften' the scribed line and remove the rather rough edge left by the blade

Cheers

Les

7 hours ago, lesthegringo said:

I have the Tamiya scriber, and can agree with all the above - i.e. it is very aggressive, but multiple light passes is the way to go.

However what I'd like to know is how to 'soften' the scribed line and remove the rather rough edge left by the blade

Cheers

Les

I have the Tamiya scriber, but prefer a needle in a pin vice. It priduces a far finer line. As others have said, use multiple light passes until happy. I use Dymo tape as a guide, but also have several etched metal templates for curves, rectangles, etc.

To soften after scribing, just lightly pass a brush with liquid poly such as Mr Cement S or Tamiya Extra Thin. Don't load the brush up as you don't need much at all. It melts the new groove to effectively remove the raised ridge created by the scribing tool.

Hope this helps.

Tom.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Depending on the scale and what type of line (straight/rounded/curved) I either use a steel needle from a compass or the scriber from Trumpeter fro straight lines, which is not as cunky as the Tamiya scriber. In fact it is probably the best product of the entire Trumpeter range 😄

The steel needle is mainly used when a template is needed.

• 5 weeks later...

My go to scriber for a good while now is the MRP blue handle scriber. I find that it cuts a lot smoother than the trumpeter scriber and leaves a nice V groove. Multiple light passes and all is good. After all of that though, I still run a little bit of Tamiya extra thin into the scribed lines just to even them out even more. If you are careful, the scribed lines look just like they came from the factory that way. But, that is only my experience with it. Yours may vary.