Afternoon chaps.

Rob998

I suspect my story is horribly familiar... 

Used to enjoy making models as a kid. I had loads of 1/72 Spits and Bf109s hanging from my bedroom ceiling, most of which ended up as air rifle fodder eventually... At Air Cadets we did some nice stuff, and learned about detailing and weathering. I made a few nice bigger scale things, Tornadoes, Harriers, Tomcats etc, a few Space 1999 Eagles and a USS Enterprise NCC1701(movie version, no bloody A, B, C or D... 😉 ) plus a few cars and bikes.

Then it went: girls, music, motorbikes, marriage, divorce, more girls, more bikes, more marriage, kids...🙄

Never really lost my interest in models, but never seemed to have the time to make them, but loved seeing well built kits, and when modellers used to post build threads on the various music, hifi and motorcycle forums I used to really enjoy following them.

Anyway,  I was watching the telly the other night and there was yet another repeat of "Jet! When Britain Ruled The Skies",  and when the Lightning came on, I thought " I really want to make a model of that!" so a bottle of red later,  a 1/48 Airfix Lightning kit is on its way from eBay, don't think my eyes or sausage fingers would be able to cope with 1/72 fiddliness anymore. 

Been having a good nose around here, and have seen some frankly astonishing skills on display. I suppose it's going to take me some practice even to just get back to where I was about 30 years ago!

I don't suppose I'll be very prolific,  either in building or posting,  but at least I'm here!

• Like 3

Welcome back to the hobby and welcome to here! 

Couldn't have picked a better place mate :) 

Hopefully you’ll find plenty of inspiration amongst these pages to keep you going, as can be pretty frustrating getting back into  something - re learning old skills and discovering new ones. All part of the fun! 

I’m only a seven year old (28-35) ‘born again’ modeller and still learning :D 

• Like 1

Thanks Tony,  I've got a few ideas from some Lightning build threads, including a fantastic suggestion on achieving a bare metal finish using kitchen foil, which I will have to practice on something sacrificial: more air rifle fodder!

Paint tech seems to have moved on a lot from the old Humbrol enamel days, so will be researching that, and looking for suggestions on building up a starter kit of tools etc.

:welcome: aboard Rob - you'll find plenty of folks more willing to help you with any questions relating to your builds, the tools you need, and even tricking out your workbench, so have fun & dive in :)

• Like 1

Hello Rob ... :welcome: to the Forum from Chicago USA. I did my lightning F.3 last year in foil so if you need tips for that dont hesitate to ask. I second the opinion of Tony, this is probably one of the best forums online. If you need me type in the @ symbol and screen name like this @Corsairfoxfouruncle. Heres a link to my 111 squadron Lightning. https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235028690-lightnings-thunder/

Have a great modeling day. 

Dennis

PS - Another forum member that used Foil tape to check out is @rob Lyttle

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Hi Dennis,  that F3 looks the business! And I saw your RN Phantom too, simply fantastic.  People say the Phantom was an ugly 'plane, but I always thought it looked purposeful. 

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! :like::like:

• Thanks 1

i agrie the phantom is a lovely looking aircaft along with the A-10

anyway welcome and salutations

:welcome:

• Like 1

Welcome. Your story sounds familiar... :wink:. I always did 1:72 too and anything 1:48 seemed absolutely HUGE. Now I have buckets for hands anything less than 1:48 seems fiddly.

You're right, things have certainly moved on, but you're in the right place to pick up advice - folks here are very knowledgeable. Check out the Alclads for a metal finish on your Lightning. They stink, but give a great metallic finish.