Sgt.Squarehead's Knackered Nightfighter

Sgt.Squarehead

Placemarker for now, but the kit & bits are all ready to go.....SMER kit, lots of extras including a cockpit and an engine, possibly even a small vignette.....Optimistic I know, but I'll give it a go.  ;)

Kannst du das Reparieren?   :shrug:

bWPyr5b.jpg

Nein, es ist g*****t!  :chair:

• Like 5

welcome aboard and you do know how to tease us!

Sounds like you have a grand idea there, can't wait to see what you decide to do.

Good luck with the build, we're all really interested to see where you go with it.

Cheers Rich, I'll probably be needing quite a bit of advice here (as usual).....While I've got an awful lot of bits for this build, I'm not terribly sure what most of them are, or where they go.  ;)

Pictures of an in-service 262 with the cowling off one of the engines would be a godsend.....The pictures I've found in my (rather limited) research to date tend to be from museums and they seem to have removed rather more of the cowling than I'd imagine was normal. 

I've noticed the Kettenkraftrad seems to appear alonside the Me.262 with some frequency.....Am I correct in believing they were used as tow-vehicles?  If so, I'm guessing they were ballasted in some fashion?  Again, if so, does anyone know how?  :shrug:

7 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I've noticed the Kettenkraftrad seems to appear alonside the Me.262 with some frequency

They were used as a tug in general by the Luftwaffe - and were likely to have been used on the Graf Zepp if it had ever seen the sea.  Not sure about ballasting, and the reason you see them with 262s is that there have been boxings of the Tamiya kit that included the Kettenrad as a Brucie-bonus :) 

They do indeed.....Thank you!  :coolio:

The second one in particular clears up an issue that was greatly perplexing me. 

Just out of interest, what did you actually type into Google.....I tried what seemed to be sensible options and mostly got images of models.

EDIT:

2 hours ago, Sanjuro said:

Google will bring up some pictures of in-service 262 with the cowling removed if you search for

' Me 262 jumo 004 '

hth

Missed this post completely!  :doh:

The various bits I have to play with:

TheBits

One of the etch sets is actually for the Hasegawa kit, not sure how I wound up with it as I don't have a Hasegawa 262.  I will probably grab a couple more vac-canopies as I want this one opened up and I'm a wee bit cack-handed!  ;)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Just out of interest, what did you actually type into Google.....I tried what seemed to be sensible options and mostly got images of models.

I typed in “Me 262 engine”. I got a lot of models but kept digging. I have a lot of time most days on my hands for building or research. So if you need help with research just ask. 

• Thanks 1

:wub: I love all the extras you've got to go with her!!!! 

That PE set will probably fit anyway, worse case you may have to trim some bits.

• Like 1

Cheers Rich, there are a couple more frets in the bag, including the kit's own rather dubious set and what came with the CMK cockpit, possibly one or two more.....All very fiddly looking TBH, and mistakes will be a lot harder to hide here than they would on a tank (no 'texturing the armour' here).  ;)

The kit's wheels look a bit pants.....I'd quite like to replace them, preferably with something fairly badly deflated, are there any resin sets that are generally considered a bit OTT on this front (he asks optimistically)?  :shrug:

• Like 1

oh no! Hopefully you haven't lost anything?

I lost a HDD the other month, managed to get most of the data back, though it cost me a small fortune, but lost 90% of my modelling stuff.

• Sad 1

Hi Sarge. Hope you managed to get something sorted with your PC.

In light of the problems your having with the computer I hate to mention it but - I don't think you have the right kit. It's 1/72 alright.........but it appears to have what looks like wings:yikes: :winkgrin:

Looking forward to seeing it in progress.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...