1/144 Airfix Iberia Airbus A300B4

This is the Airfix kit with replacement Bra.Z nose and P&W engines.

I extended the wing/body fairing behind the wing and added the fillet where the wing leading edge meets the fuselage. I also added the small flap in this area too so the work I did constructing this fillet is obscured now!

The kit's GE engines were taken for my Laker DC10 so I used the excellent Bra.Z replacement P&W engines which powered most Iberia A300s.

Paint is Halfords white primer polished with a coat or two of Kleer for the fuselage, wings are Halfords Racking Grey with my own mix of Humbrol Polished Aluminium and Gun Metal 'Metalcote' for the Coroguard and the engines are Mr Metal 218 Polished Aluminium. Decal windows are from Authentic Airliners.

Decals are from Flightpath plus some details from the 26 detail sheet others I printed myself.

There is plenty of weathering on the wings but this doesn't show up on the photos, I have also drawn in some of the more prominent panel lines with a sharp soft pencil but again these don't show up very well either.

41792310972_bb061cd739_o.jpg

41792305282_cb43793978_o.jpg

41792308652_8f0e93fa49_o.jpg

41792309832_b7aa5edb11_o.jpg

41792303682_f13708b24c_o.jpg

41792306892_2af2219579_o.jpg

The observant among you might notice the missing registrations on the nose gear doors. The ones provided on the decal sheet were too big to fit so I will have to print out some smaller ones another time.

Hope you like it, comments and constructive criticism welcome and appreciated.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 43
  • Thanks 2

That's a beauty, especially considering the age of the kit.  A beautifully rendered paint finish and attractive scheme.  I must say those cockpit decals are really affective. 

Great looking Airbus Ian.  :thumbsup:

As you know, I'm not a great fan of that particular scheme but I have to say the end result is superb.  Particularly like the way the WBF modifications have turned out as well.

Chris.

Wow Ian-what a beautiful rendition of this classic airliner, I’ve been itching to see this bird finished.

Your paint finish is superb! That Braz nose sure knocks the socks the Airfix original, well worth the time and effort🤩

Rgds,

Nick.

Hi Ian,another stunning build,absolutely gorgeous, well done.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Cheers Michael.

I've been looking forward to this Ian and it definitely doesn't disappoint :thumbsup:

You must have had fun masking for the coroguard.  The only time I built an A300B I used decals and that was tricky enough!  I'm also very impressed with the polished primer.  Am I correct in assuming it gives a different tone of white compared to Appliance White?

Now that I've seen the nose on your model I'll be getting my Revell/BraZ A310 underway soon.  Thanks for sharing.

Dave G

Thanks for all your replies!

On 5/2/2018 at 10:41 PM, Skodadriver said:

You must have had fun masking for the coroguard.

I'm also very impressed with the polished primer.  Am I correct in assuming it gives a different tone of white compared to Appliance White?

Hi Dave, the masking wasn't too bad, at least it was all straight lines!

I don't think there's any difference in tone really, I've just compared one I painted with Appliance White and that might be a little brighter but there's not much in it at all. I don't have any particular reason for just polishing and Klear coating. Sometimes I polish and Klear coat primer and others I use Appliance White.

On 5/3/2018 at 8:05 AM, Eric Mc said:

What are the problems with the Airfix nose?

Hi Eric,

There's not much wrong with the Airfix nose out of the box, it's one of Airfix's better airliner noses, but it is a little flat above the cockpit windscreen which affects the windscreen angle.

On 5/3/2018 at 12:03 PM, MartinSK said:

Great A 300! I like the weathering which gives to your model realistic finish. Great inspiration and now I have to finish my A320 from Revell :)

Thanks Martin, the weathering didn't really show up too well in my pics but the wings are pretty dirty as they often are in real life! I've just realised that I didn't add any dirt and grime to the bottom of the rudder hinge where there is normally lots on most aircraft. I'll have to rectify this!

Looking forward to your A320!

• Like 1

That looks absolutely spot on Ian, the nose was definitely worth doing, it looks every inch and A300. And once again those AA window decals really add to the realism.

Cheers

John

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure why I never got around to commenting on this earlier Ian, but you've certainly smacked this one out of the park !

Cracking build and finish on one of my favourite schemes.

:thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

mike

• 2 weeks later...