Airfix Heinkel 111.///////////Finished///////////////////////

Hi folk's gave the gloss coat time to dry thoroughly and started the decalling,as usual Airfix give you no tail marking's I have a sheet but need to

try and find photo's of this or similar period and theatre marking's to find what style is needed.

42182098812_590fb19c04_b.jpg

I've added the exhaust's painted the prop's and assembled the Torpedo's.

40421136330_1e99afd3dc_b.jpg

• Like 6

7 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Airfix seem to have the torpedo colours quite close to reality. Just in case, I'll add this:

Many thank's Chris.

• Like 1

Hi folk's,little more progress.Cockpit fixed in place just going to add harness to pilot seat,prop's added and top fuselage gunner's position 

in place,a few hairy moment's with the U/C but in place and base coat painted,the wheels also painted ready to go on.

41558195114_853737da1d_b.jpg

40472388480_9319281134_b.jpg

• Like 8

Looking lovely! But I hate to pop you this question; does the kit decal instructions tell you to revert the 1H + BP from port side to BP + 1H on the starboard side? The RAF did that, but as far as here I´ve believed the Luftwaffe didn´t - the Geschwader code (1H) was before balkenkreuz (+) and then behind it the individual plane code (B) before the Staffel code (P) being the last, on both flanks of the fuselage? Best regards, V-P 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Looking lovely! But I hate to pop you this question; does the kit decal instructions tell you to revert the 1H + BP from port side to BP + 1H on the starboard side? The RAF did that, but as far as here I´ve believed the Luftwaffe didn´t - the Geschwader code (1H) was before balkenkreuz (+) and then behind it the individual plane code (B) before the Staffel code (P) being the last, on both flanks of the fuselage? Best regards, V-P 

Hi VP Airfix decal/colour sheet shows fuselage decal's as 1H-BP port and BP-1H starboard so BP is on the white stripe,I'm going to be very annoyed if Airfix

got it wrong as I've sealed the decals in now.

• Like 1

Oh dear Airfix, on such a splendid kit... Of course there may be a picture out somewhere to prove they´re right about it, but there are some pics to prove otherwise too :sad:. Just Googling "1H+BP Heinkel 111" gave me this - which doesn´t even need to be the same plane, and actually both could be correct (I´m trying to be very positive here)! V-P

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Oh dear Airfix, on such a splendid kit... Of course there may be a picture out somewhere to prove they´re right about it, but there are some pics to prove otherwise too :sad:. Just Googling "1H+BP Heinkel 111" gave me this - which doesn´t even need to be the same plane, and actually both could be correct (I´m trying to be very positive here)! V-P

Thank's VP what's done is done, what's annoying is that this information is available to the casual browser so what was the Airfix researcher looking 

at for such an important issue as decal's for a kit with the potential to be bought by hundred's of people! Anyway wheel's on and a dry run of the

glazing which is some of the best I've seen,few more decal's and matt coat time.

41395884255_867b409dcf_b.jpg

• Like 6

9 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

It's looking very nice and the order of a few letters isn't a big deal anyway. It doesn't affect the big picture at all. V-P

I can live with it VP,they got it right on the sand over blue scheme on the instruction's !

Nice work Steve.

This kit is on my to-do list. The only problem with it is Airfix doesn't supply a 20mm MG FF cannon to go in the nose, which was normal on this variant. Or it was sometimes mounted in the forward ventral gondola. Useful when on anti-shipping ops..

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

• Like 1

Finally found some time to put some words down on this great build. This Heinkel is looking really good Steve. I’m so impressed by both quality and quantity of your GB entries which are always a real treat to view and admire.

Now although this beast of a weapon probably contributed to my Maltese parents (children at the time) not having a decent feed back in 1942, it’s still intrigues me as a modelling and historical subject. I’ve long had plans to build a Sicily based Ju88, just need to find a set of related decals and an easy scheme for one of the units that participated in the 2nd seige of Malta. 

Cheers and apologies for not commenting earlier. Must join in on this great GB soon! 

Dave

• Like 3

Wow Steve,..... this has come along quickly and it is superb,...... my favourite He 111 scheme and you have smashed it mate!!! You should feel very proud of yourself, especially overcoming those earlier glitches,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, IanC said:

Nice work Steve.

This kit is on my to-do list. The only problem with it is Airfix doesn't supply a 20mm MG FF cannon to go in the nose, which was normal on this variant. Or it was sometimes mounted in the forward ventral gondola. Useful when on anti-shipping ops..

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

Cheer's Ian,not a clue on much luftwaffe wise so not sure about 20mm cannon I'm sure someone will come up with the answer soon!

43 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Finally found some time to put some words down on this great build. This Heinkel is looking really good Steve. I’m so impressed by both quality and quantity of your GB entries which are always a real treat to view and admire.

Now although this beast of a weapon probably contributed to my Maltese parents (children at the time) not having a decent feed back in 1942, it’s still intrigues me as a modelling and historical subject. I’ve long had plans to build a Sicily based Ju88, just need to find a set of related decals and an easy scheme for one of the units that participated in the 2nd seige of Malta. 

Cheers and apologies for not commenting earlier. Must join in on this great GB soon! 

Dave

Many thank's Dave,this kit has also got me thinking of having a crack at one of Revell's  newish Ju 88's which has alway's been a favourite of mine.

19 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Wow Steve,..... this has come along quickly and it is superb,...... my favourite He 111 scheme and you have smashed it mate!!! You should feel very proud of yourself, especially overcoming those earlier glitches,

Cheers

Tony

Many thank's Tony,I think when I slipped in the nacelle insert's I did something wrong so I was maybe a bit unfare on Airfix for the problem,It's really

a cracking kit all round and got me wanting to try a couple of other new tool Airfix  multi engine type's I definitely will do a 100 group fortress for the

B17 GB later this year.

• Like 1

Hi folk's,I was having a look on Airfix's website (that F22/24 Spitfire is a must) and noticed the "contact us" page so pinged an E-mail to them regard's

the decal placement instruction's if they reply I'll let you know.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Hi folk's,I was having a look on Airfix's website (that F22/24 Spitfire is a must) and noticed the "contact us" page so pinged an E-mail to them regard's

the decal placement instruction's if they reply I'll let you know.

Is this what you’re after Steve? See this edition of Airfix Workbench and keep scrolling down to the end. 

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/exclusive-workbench-wimpy-update

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Is this what you’re after Steve? See this edition of Airfix Workbench and keep scrolling down to the end. 

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/exclusive-workbench-wimpy-update

Cheers.. Dave

Yes Dave,It's a re-release of the 90's kit which is still a stunner today with the bonus of the 607 Sqn (my local county sqn) scheme,

• Like 1

The 607 scheme was also included in the now OOP 1/72 kit. I’ll have to get around to building mine but do agree that the 1/48 re-release is a good choice for 2018. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I’ve long had plans to build a Sicily based Ju88, just need to find a set of related decals and an easy scheme for one of the units that participated in the 2nd seige of Malta. Dave

Fortunately the Revell kit supplies you the decals and a non-splinter paint scheme for a Maltese torturer. The 2nd squadron of Lehrgeschwader 1 (II/LG 1) hopped back and forth between Greece mainland, Crete and Sicily from 4/41 to 6/43. The very same L1+FN from 5./LG 1 is also represented on Xtradecal sheet 72162 The Battle for Malta. The other aftermarket decal options for MTO Ju 88:s are too numerous to list! V-P

8 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Yes Dave,It's a re-release of the 90's kit which is still a stunner today with the bonus of the 607 Sqn (my local county sqn) scheme,

If you don`t fancy the race scheme,..... the 607 Sqn Spitfire was coded RAN-K in normal sqn service. 

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 1