Minion's Comrade Mitchell "Mstitely"

Great start modelling minion, the interior looks great. So nice to see a Russian version too, some great schemes.

I like the engine too, very nice

• Like 1

Still slowly plugging away at this one, please rest assured that the slow progress is solely down to me and not the kit as the unseasonably warm weather we have been having has meant that I have been outside doing garden related stuff, oh and I did manage a trip to Bruntingthorpe yesterday for their Cold War Jets day and came back a little (lot) redder than I left and with added Neptune, a pristine Frog boxing which screamed "buy me!", so I did.

Anyway here's how she stands at the moment, all the glazings have been added and masked (courtesy of the Eduard pre cut set which I highly recommend) and the wings have also been fitted and they were a very good fit indeed. Here's a pic of the state of her after the work was done;

41512979265_3bcb6a8700_o_d.jpg

And a close up of the nose area showing the extensive glazing and the masks which make the job a lot easier;

42365791162_7e4c89cc8a_o_d.jpg

I then sprayed a dark green onto the glazed areas prior to any other colours being applied. Next job was to apply the neutral grey on the undersides (using Tamiya paint), I did some pre-shading with a watercolour pencil and then applied the paint giving this;

41512985865_11c6131bbb_o_d.jpg

And here's a close up of one of the wings which hopefully shows the result a bit better;

41512989855_10c8b209c8_o_d.jpg

Hopefully I will get this masked so that I can do the uppersurfaces later this week.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 5

Good to see more excellent progress Craig. Very neat masking on the glasshouse and your pre-shading has worked very well. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Cheers guys, I have masked off the demarcation between the OD and the grey this morning so I should be able to make a start on the upper surfaces tomorrow.

Having said that I'm off on holiday for a week from Saturday so there won't be any progress for a week after that.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Cheers guys, I have masked off the demarcation between the OD and the grey this morning so I should be able to make a start on the upper surfaces tomorrow.

Having said that I'm off on holiday for a week from Saturday so there won't be any progress for a week after that.

Have a nice hols mate,....... I`m off for a short break to Duxford this weekend,....hopefully!,

• Like 1

On 5/30/2018 at 12:21 PM, tonyot said:

Have a nice hols mate,....... I`m off for a short break to Duxford this weekend,....hopefully!,

Cheers Tony,

Looks like the weather should be okay, just got to try and find "accidental" model shops near where I'm staying 🙂.

Hope you get to Duxford mate, and that you have a good time there.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Cheers Tony,

Looks like the weather should be okay, just got to try and find "accidental" model shops near where I'm staying 🙂.

Hope you get to Duxford mate, and that you have a good time there.

Haha,... you do the `accidental' model shop too eh!!! Have a great time yourself mate,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Final update for a week.

As promised I have sprayed the OD on the uppersurfaces using Gunze paint, I am really happy with how this paint sprays it gives me more control than any of my other brands I use. As per the undersides there was some pre-shading done on the top and with the paint behaving well I was able to vary the amount applied to the panels with less in the centre and more on the outer edges going for a very faded and well used look. Not sure if I've over done it or not, have a look and let me know;

40691957130_a0f62774f5_o_d.jpg

Here's a closer look  at one of the wings;

42448093592_75bb501b7d_o_d.jpg

Amazing how much the colour changes with the light or positioning.

And here is a pic of from the sides showing the wavy demarcation between the two colours;

40691964040_3869a351fa_o_d.jpg

That's it for a week as I'm off on my hols and am not taking the Mitchell with me.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 6

Managed to get a little bit more done today.

Not a huge leap forward but it is progress, what I have done is to mask off the areas where the original US markings would have been and then spray some vaguely Russian colours to copy the effect produced when the Russians over-painted the US markings including the serial numbers, anyway here are the pics starting with the upper port wing and fuselage side.

41838811555_f9d3bf6514_o_d.jpg

Then the port tail showing the area where the serial number was.

42021092224_1e116d4f1f_o_d.jpg

Finishing with the under sides of the stbd wing.

40927960930_5c6c7bd605_o_d.jpg

Off to start the glossing process now, and then its the decals!

Craig.

• Like 6

Your version of the overpainting looks to have worked very well Craig. Combined with your original paintwork it's really coming together now. And good luck with the decals! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Thanks Stix, Glynn, James and Sarge, you words are very much appreciated.

Well the build is slowly progressing at the pace of an asthmatic snail, but there is movement. The decals have all been added (after the gloss coat) and it was a time of mixed results. The Airfix decals (I only used the stencils) went on very well with no problems at all, the Authentic decals markings however were another matter entirely. The stars (apart from one) all behaved very well and settled nicely into the recessed detail of the kit, the Guards emblem went on fine and then came the aircraft's name and numbers and these were a different story. Both the name and number decals split up into each individual digit and some were not content with this and decided to split further still, this made for a mild panic and some colourful language but I managed to salvage them. Here are some pics of how she looks at the minute with a couple of close ups of some of the decals.42903813631_e399096bac_o_d.jpg

29031605188_013af4146a_o_d.jpg

29031608338_36efe94b0a_o_d.jpg

42855700342_7509f9f5fc_o_d.jpg

Well thats how things stand at the moment, next job is the white distemper, when I can find where my son has squirreled it away to use it on his armour, honestly anyone would think it's his paint ( it is!).

Craig.

• Like 5

I have now added between 2 and 3 coats of Mig's temporary white. I have done this by brush using a small flat brush, giving as close to the same result as the rough application by Russian ground crew using brooms and whatever else they had to hand, in fact it is too rough both physically and in terms of how it looks and it will get a good micromeshing later, anyway this is how it looks now;

42260110024_832055fca7_o_d.jpg

And a closer look at the paint finish;

29106213318_0b9f5fc788_o_d.jpg

Might be able to show how it looks after more work later today, although the weather is very good here so I will probably be spending a lot of time outside working in the garden.

Thanks for looking in.

Craig.

• Like 5

That is looking excellent. You are very brave doing that to your already superb B-25! Looking forward to seeing more.

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PlaStix said:

That is looking excellent. You are very brave doing that to your already superb B-25!

Thanks Stix.

It is nerve wracking applying the white distemper over the paint work and markings (and I did quite like the way it looked already) but it worked on my Harrier and I am happy to say it has worked here too, I shall take a couple of pictures shortly so you can see how she looks. Need to pull my finger out to get her done by the weekend!