Nillson Work 1/60 Red Frame Astray

I have wanted to build a large scale gundam ages and the Astray has always been a one of my favourite mobile suits, I had a Daban 1/60 in the stash for a good while but sold it when I found out this version was going to get released.

This version of the Astray look more like a RG or MG kit from Bandai and has slightly fewer parts than a normal PG kit from Bandai and is a lot sleeker looking, the bandai kit is just a bit fat! The plan is to snap the kit together as there is likely to be some fitting issues. loose parts that will need fixing and once that's all sorted I will be painting parts of the kit, for a fresh clean looking build.

If your interested in the kit I got mine from here: Astray

Promo picture. 

gundam-central-nillsion-work-pg-red-astr

As I don't believe in following the instructions I made a start on the twin swords and already made the a small modification so both swords can be mounted on one hip rather than one on each side. These parts whent together very well some but not all parts are under gated and just the gold part on the top of the scabbard is loose. I will build the beam gun and shield next. 

These were a paint to clean up but look great onec in place.

IMG_20180501_115652

Hobby knife for scale.........

IMG_20180501_125819

IMG_20180501_151657

IMG_20180501_202211

My photos should improve a bit as I have just splashed out on a new huawei p20 phone, only my second phone in nearly 4 years.....

Edited by rockpopandchips
  • Like 6

I had to take a second look at the title as I thought you were building an Ashtray and thought this was a non-smoking site!!

Then I looked at the photos, great start and the swords look impressive.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Tolga Uzuner said:

Interesting, i have never hear the Nillson brand. I have just one Pg in my stash, Bandai Aile Strike, but still waiting for the build.

What kind of color schema will you use?

It's a new 3rd party Chinese brand. This would look great next to your Strike. Going with the same colours just adding in some RG type details. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Thud4444 said:

Those swords are fantastic OOB.

Those swords are fantastic OOB.

Yes! Nothing done to them, yet

It a lot of kit for the price as well. 

http://www.gundammodelcenter.com/gundam-central-nillsonwork-red-astray-pg-model-kit

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Hunter Rose said:

Wow 1/60 always looks impressive standing next to a 1/100!  Looking good

He is a bit bigger than I thought. 

Finished the leg mod and a light undercoat sprayed. The is a seam on the back on the leg that I will be scribing out as well, you just make it out on the the odd part out. 

IMG_20180509_221228

• Like 3

I've just got up to speed on this one and caught up with the progress. I wasn't aware of this manufacturer either ( but I'm still very much a Gundam newb ) I do know of the PG Astray though and I can see the design of this one is sleeker, price is very good too. The twin swords are very cool and I'm very much looking forward to following you along and seeing what you have planned with this build. 

How are you finding the wax metallics ? They look really nice on those parts, are they easy to apply and how's the durability ? If they are any good I think I'll bag a few

loving the iron giant too

Pete

• Like 1

On 5/18/2018 at 9:27 PM, Brundledonk said:

How are you finding the wax metallics

Frustrating at first but I'm getting there, I was using IPA to thin them at first but good old white spirit works much better. I need to get some sort of sealer though as they can rub off very easily. I might even have a bash at airbrushing some, I think the Iron Gaint might get a coat of.....well iron.... Lol

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

After taking this down from the shelf of doom,  I thought I should get on with this before starting another Gundam.

And for those interested Nilson works have another version of there Atray with more swords and the flight pack...look amazing in grey scale. 

http://www.gundammodelcenter.com/nillson-red-astray-frame-pg-ghost-ver-gundam-centrall

680e9295ly1fymm543ln5j20rs0rhtc8-800x800

nillson-pg-red-astray-frame-ghost-gundam

• Like 2