Californian

I completed this model of the SS Californian in 1996, and sent it to the Christie's auction house in London, where it sold in the maritime saile for £300!    I then forgot all about it, but it turned up again a few weeks ago in the catalogue of Charles Miller Ltd (Nautical auction house, London).      At the sale yesterday, it sold for £558!    It took exactly 38 hours to build, over a period of 14 days (timed on a stopwatch). and that included making the display case and carrying case!😎    32 feet to 1 inch (1:384).   Scratchbuilt.    Collectors love models of merchant ships, but ship model builders are not too keen on them, usually preferring warships!    I never really considered the Californian model to be anything special, but it was nice to see that its value has increased considerably over the past  22 years.    Pretty poor photograph, but that was before the days of the digital camera!

Bob

Californian.jpg

• Like 7

She looks excellent. You obviously need to know what you're doing if you're going knock this up in 38 hours, think it would take me a lot longer than that.

19 minutes ago, ShipbuilderMN said:

making the display case

Is this relatively simple to do and is it cost effective with modern 'across the counter' stuff?

Stuart

It can't help being cost-effective when compared to across the counter cases.     You need a small hobby bandsaw to cut the acrylic sheet, but quite a simple process, if a little tedious.     One hour to cut veneer and assemble the base quadrant (wood).      One hour to cut acrylic panels, and fit them in the base  quadrant.     One hour to veneer the case edges.     One hour to make inner base and green felt base.     Then as long as it takes to polish up the woodwork.    The actual cost is the cost of the acrylic (3mm = £3 per square foot), plus 18mm base quadrant, veneer,  and green felt about £5.       I usually spread the work over four days or so.     To me, they look better than ready made cases, and are certainly a lot cheaper.     But I have been told that I come into the class of those who "know the cost of everything, and the value of nothing!"  😀      I do not take private commissions, but have worked very hard over the years to produce high-quality miniatures by my own efforts, using my own peculiar methods, and developing my own style of ship model.

Bob

Display_case.jpg

Marjory_Glen_in_case_Large.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Polystyrene sheet shaped with gas torch with flame turned down to low level.   Covered in crepape paer glued on with white wood glue.  Painted with Humbrol enamels.

Bob

• Thanks 1

I always enjoy looking at your models and these two certainly don't disappoint.

Have you ever considered doing a "how to" video of your methods of construction?

I have put a few slide shows on utube, but they have now discontinued the ability to make more. Not just to me - slide shows on U Tube have been discontinued for everyone, although the ones produced before that remain in position.   Here is one for building the steamer Politicianhttps://youtu.be/dbKlh_aa9r4

It would be too laborious to make a moving video.    

Bob

• Thanks 2

Stuart,

Thanks, I felt that I had made a very good job of that particular model, the British four-masted barqe Marion Lightbody, but it was a bit of a flop.   I sent it to the Christie's maritime auction, London  in 2004, and it sold for £150.   After deductions for commission, I got £100, but I had paid £25 transport fees, leaving me £75.    Then comes along the ever-hungry income tax and takes another £15, leaving me with £60.     Taking 57 hours to build, I got £1.05 an hour, and from that, one can deduct the cost of materials as well!        After that, I got the reputation of "knowing the cost of everying and the value of nothing," and it was all uphill after that!   😎

Bob