What are your opinions on Italeri´s Mirage Nesher/Dagger in 1:48?

Sturmovik

I´m travelling to Europe in a couple of months, and I have the opportunity to buy either Italeri´s Nesher/Dagger or Kinetic´s Mirage IIIE/O/R/RD/EE/EA. Since the Italeri one has the decals I want (and it´s cheaper), what are your opinions on that kit regarding its fit and the need to fill and sand seams (and other type of details you guys may have).

The Kinetic is, as stated, an option, but it doesn´t have the decals I want and it´s twice the price of the Italeri one.

Good night, read you tomorrow!

Good morning Sturmovik

I do not know about Kinetic kit but I built two Esci Mirage kits (Mirage III CJ and Mirage III EO) decades ago. Apparently Italeri editions are repacked Esci kit. Both kits have raised panels, cockpit interior is almost not-existent (decals for instrumental and side panels, somewhat basic ejection seat etc.) undercarriage is a bit short on details and wheel wells are a bit too shallow. I am not quite certain but I believe intakes on III E kit end with plastic wall and on III C with a hole into fuselage or vice versa (or this is the case with Esci Kfir kit?). Not surprisingly, Pitot tube is too thick. Exhaust is very basic and much too shallow. On upper surface some filling and sanding is needed on wings/fuselage seams. If I would build these kits again, I would buy a decent AM cockpit and Pitot tube, perhaps scratch break lines on undercarriage legs and in wheel wells, and hide non-existent intakes and exhaust interiors with covers. Not much, but I hope it helps. Cheers

Jure

• Thanks 1

As Jure stated, it is a bit on the basic side, but can be built into a nice model. 

Given that the price is not far from aftermarket decals, I suggest you buy it. If you like it you can build it into a nice model, if not you have spare decals for when you want to build a really nice Nesher. 

• Thanks 1

The Kinetic kit may be twice the price but is IMHO well worth the price difference.

The Italeri kit is a rebox of the old Esci kit with the addition of some new parts for the different radomes. raised panel lines on most parts and IIRC recessed on the new ones. Detail is the same as in the original Esci kit, that is basic, very basic. The new decal sheet looks nice and features some interesting subjects. I can't comment on the accuracy of the decals but as is usual with Italeri they only really supply the main stencils.

Fit is decent, the plastic is a bit flimsy so some care is needed and the wing-fuselage seam may require a bit of filler.. but really most Mirage kits suffer from this.

This is really a case of getting what you pay for, the Italeri kit is not expensive but the plastic itself is not up to what we expect today. The Kinetic kit costs more but is in a different league. If you just want a 1/48 Mirage III with the markings you like, then the Italeri kit makes sense. If you want a good Mirage III model, then you'll need a lot of work and money to bring the Italeri kit to the level of the Kinetic offering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Go for the Kinetic kit !

It is the much more modern and better kit!

There is a Latin American boxing....

Or alternativly search for the boxing from Wingman Models.... probably the best, though expensive option !

Edited by exdraken

Wingman is Kinetic kit, but with resin accessories. Too expensive in my mind, then it's better to go with a cheaper alternative as I already suggested. Best thing is you get 2 kits..... ;)