1/48 Me-262 Mistel 4 ### Finished 29-7-2018 ###

Arniec

Hi guys,

I will be building the Dragon Me262 mistel in 1/48 scale. There are some points that will be changed in the kit. The main change will be the trolly that will be replaced and the lead aircraft will be swapped with a A2a/U2 tristar model that is in my stash. This is the one with the bomber nose.

I am teying to make one as close as possible of a test machine. I will place some pictures of the box and content later. 

Cheers

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 3

Welcome aboard Arnold, I was wondering when you would show up with this beastie....and you have some resin stuff to go with it as well!!!! :yahoo: You know how excited I get when I see resiny bits!! :D

Did the Dragon kit include two models or just the lower one? I can't remember and it's not clear in the photo.

Well good luck with this build, it'll be one to watch and I look forward to seeing her/them in the gallery.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, trickyrich said:

You know how excited I get when I see resiny bits!! :D

Don't we know it !

Arnold please be careful, only small doses of Resin for Rich otherwise his medication won't work :pilot:

Good luck with this one it looks epic !

cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3 mei 2018 at 10:26 AM, trickyrich said:

Welcome aboard Arnold, I was wondering when you would show up with this beastie....and you have some resin stuff to go with it as well!!!! :yahoo: You know how excited I get when I see resiny bits!! :D

Did the Dragon kit include two models or just the lower one? I can't remember and it's not clear in the photo.

Well good luck with this build, it'll be one to watch and I look forward to seeing her/them in the gallery.

Hi Rich,

Thanxs for welcoming me. The kit has got both models. I will mix and match the resin and normal parts. If I am not mistaken then the trolly isn't correct in the kit. So I will replace this with the resin one. this set is originaly for two Tamiya kits, but Ifound that a bit over the top to do the conversion with two expensive kits. 

Cheers,

Yeah I seem to remember reading that the trolley was wrong. The Tamiya ones are a bit pricy, though I haven't looked on evilBay for a while. I'd really like to get just the fuselage from one, then I can cut the tail off and replace mine!

• Like 1

Hi Arnold . My duties as Co-host have got me back in modelling mode . Just finishing the dam breda !!!!!! . pleased you are here and sure looks like an interesting project .

Regards

Alistair

• Like 1

Nice to see you here Alistair.My Breda was moved back in the stash.

But I have also made a start today. And it wasn't a easy one. I have started the resin cart for this project and I am still not sure if I will use it.

Here are some pictures.

The first start. I needed to drill a hole in the sides to get the side arms to fit.

IMG_4361

Then after some more cleaning up done I have got this picture.

IMG_4362

And finally I have made a picture after I did some testfitting of the wheels. The screw on the front wheel will be modified according to plans.

IMG_4363

It isn't perfect but looks to be ok.

I will also build the cart from the dragon kit to see how that goes.

Cheers,

• Like 3

the cart looks quite impressive, I'll be interested to see the Dragon one. The one in the 1/72nd Mistel 5 (He-162 w/Arado E-377a) was very basic.

Sitting on top of this when you lit the fuse would have been a scary ride!

Some more progress today. Here are some more detailed pictures. 

First the nose wheel.

IMG_4364IMG_4365

And also some details on the rest of the cart.

IMG_4366IMG_4367IMG_4368

Here are two pictures of testfitting the bomb on the cart. It still need a bit of twitching to get a good fit, but it does look good already.

IMG_4369IMG_4370

I also made the stuts for the model. These are 1 mm brass massive tubing. It came out of the conversion set.

Here are some pictures of the Dragon cart. The most noticeable difference is the rocket used. The resin one is a much bigger rocket. And the other major difference is the wheels. The resin ones look like Ju-88 wheels, where the dragon ones are fantasy?!

IMG_4371IMG_4372IMG_4373IMG_4379

And I also made the bomb. There wasn't a great fit between the wings and the fuselage. The topside had some gaps that I filled with stretched sprue and on the underside I had a big ridge, that I filled with some plastic card and putty.

IMG_4375IMG_4376IMG_4377IMG_4378

As you can also see I have closed the wheel wells. 

That is it for now.

Cheers,

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Mottlemaster said:

I looked at your filler with squinted eyes and i could see a Monet water Lily painting underneath :)

You have got great imagination. 😉

The AM resin trolley was a big improvement.  Those Trimaster/Dragon kits aren't the best though, and I still can't believe some of the reviews out there back in 2001 that were calling them uberkits, when there had been no end of kits from other manufacturers with better detail in that era, notable (and appropriately) the Tamiya 262 in 2002. :shrug: They can be kicked into shape though, as you're finding out.  Keep up the good work :)

• Like 1

I agree, that AM trolley is so much better! EEek!!! That's some nasty gaps you've had to fill! Those wheel covers don't seem to be the greatest of fits either.

You may have your hand filled with this build, but at least it'll keep you out of mischief! :D

14 hours ago, Mottlemaster said:

I looked at your filler with squinted eyes and i could see a Monet water Lily painting underneath :)

can I have some of what he's on??? :D Did you give him your "Spaceman" cookie recipe? 

• Haha 1

Hi Guys after a few days I made some progress.

The bomb is ready now. I needed some putty to get this looking ok. I also made some extra panellines and rivets for the coverplate where the wheels should be.

But first is a picture of the underside where the putty was smoothed out and looks better now. 

IMG_4380

and the cover plate.

IMG_4382

and with partially the engines placed.

IMG_4383

I also made the engine parts ready.

IMG_4381

and with the engines ready

IMG_4386IMG_4387

As you can see there is some puty needed everywhere.

And here is the model placed on the cart for a dry-fit.

IMG_4400IMG_4401IMG_4402

I also started the top model of the Me-262A-2a/U2

Here are some progress of the cockpit and bomber station.

IMG_4384IMG_4388IMG_4385IMG_4391IMG_4390

That is it for now. 

Cheers,

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I think an adult diaper would be more appropriate for being in the nose of an aircraft on top of a bomb with engines who's life is measured in minutes in some cases whilst being help launched by a rocket!!! I can imagine there was a long queue for that position!! :door:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I think an adult diaper would be more appropriate for being in the nose of an aircraft on top of a bomb with engines who's life is measured in minutes in some cases whilst being help launched by a rocket!!! I can imagine there was a long queue for that position!! :door:

No doubt Eduard do a set of 1/48 etched diapers for such an occasion 😨

4 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Not really .. Option 1. Ride the bomb with the unreliable engines ? Or Option 2. Eastern front with the infantry ? Hmmmm 🧐 im thinking at least i have a parachute which gives me a small chance ? 😉

I have finally put some paint on. Here are some pictures.

IMG_4414IMG_4421IMG_4420

And the picture of how she is now.

IMG_4419

That is it for now.

Cheers,

• Like 4