1/72 Spitfire- where does adding detail end?

Antb

I think we sometimes get sucked into the 'detail, detail' thing (by the aftermarket producers). And sometimes the manufacturers don't help. The Revell 72nd scale Ju 88 is a case in point  ..50 odd parts for the cockpit/forward fuselage area in the box.  Then the etch set... All looks lovely but...

Eduard+c.jpg

the reality is this.....don't know about you, but I can't actually see much of it tbh

cc1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, FalkeEins said:

I think we sometimes get sucked into the 'detail, detail' thing (by the aftermarket producers). And sometimes the manufacturers don't help. The Revell 72nd scale Ju 88 is a case in point  ..50 odd parts for the cockpit/forward fuselage area in the box.  Then the etch set... All looks lovely but...the reality is this.....don't know about you, but I can't actually see much of it tbh

That's pretty much where I have got to.  Finn has already mentioned the Eduard 1/72 Spitfire.  I have decided that I will only buy weekend editions because at my level of modelling competence  I cannot do justice to the extra detail the Profi versions offer.  And life is too short.  But it's a lovely kit, even using the instrument panel with raised bezels.  As a proper modeller I went about colouring said bezels with pencils as per reference photos, only to discover that, once assembled into the model, the whole panel (let alone the foot pedals) is practically invisible, obscured by the gunsight and windscreen.  Wherever possible I use Eduard Steel seatbelts on my models: my feeling is that they look so gobsmackingly good that they draw the eye and no-one will bother looking at (or for) the rest of the detail, even if they can see it through the canopy.  On types with large cockpit areas I am often tempted by Yahu instrument panels as well.  Not such a fan of replacement wheels except when trying to overcome Airfix's evil "let's not bother providing any demarcation between tyres and hubs" habit.

But that's talking about a superb kit, one of the most detailed ever issued in 1/72.  It depends on the kit: I think I would still feel the need to detail plain cockpit sidewalls when visible eg the Hasegawa B-25. 

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 4

Hi guys 

thank you all for your comments, they are really helpful and some very good points are made. not to mention some great builds! 

Appreciate your input very much indeed. Food for thought indeed. 

Ive got a "few" other projects to finish off first then will have a crack at the spit. Will probably look at a seat and some more decals to make a more exciting version and see where it takes me and if I fancy adding more into it, 

thanks again chaps. 

For me it's about achieving a level of detail that is consistent throughout the model. A model with a fantastically superdetailed cockpit but with too-deep panel lines, or too-thick wing trailing edges, just looks odd. Also I only look at my models with an unassisted mark 1 eyeball when they're finished, so I don't go to a huge level of detail. For me the overall shape of the subject, and a decent finish, are more important than super-detail. Not least because if I end up doing a range of e.g. Spitfires or Mustangs, I don't want some to have significantly more detailed than the others.

Justin

• Like 3

One of the advantages of 1:72 is that you can usually get away without adding loads of detail and have the benefit of a quick build.  I think quality of construction and paint finish is more important for 1:72 than dripping them with detail.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, 3DStewart said:

One of the advantages of 1:72 is that you can usually get away without adding loads of detail and have the benefit of a quick build.  I think quality of construction and paint finish is more important for 1:72 than dripping them with detail.

Cheers 3d

Certainly will be quick with the part count.