B-57G chin

Fido996

I'm currently  ( or attempting to at least ) modify this area on the 1:48 scale Airfix kit. I've got to the point where I'm mostly satisfied with the overall look now and I'm about to tackle the glazed areas. I've searched through, and exhausted, all my paper references and online is proving fruitless also, for a clear underside shot or drawing. Can anyone tell me if there's a glazed area on the underside of the chin fairing as well? Or is it front only? 

Thanks for any help, much appreciated. 👍

There are a couple of images in 'B-57 Canberra At War' by Robert G. Mikesh and published by Ian Allan in 1980.

One shows an unidentified B-57G with the forward facing panels continuing back underneath the nose fairing , with the parts underneath being maybe half the size of those facing forward.      The other is of the 'Pave Gat' test aircraft and while the underneath is mainly in shadow it seems to show the same.

I think that there was something on USAF B-57s in either a Wings Of Fame or International Air Power Review volume which I will check out and get back to you if there is anything further that might help.

Hello

The same Robert G. Mikesh's book was also published by Schiffer under ˝Marting B-57 Canberra - the complete record˝ title. In this edition the photo Des referred to is in colour. Nevertheless, there is nothing to add to his fairly accurate description of transparencies underneath plane's chin. I tried to locate it on the web, but had no luck.

There are some useful B-57 drawings here including left profile of B-57G. No plan view of lower surfaces, unfortunately.

Also, check this USAF book on B-57G operations in South-East Asia. On pages 22 and 58 there are very basic sketches of B-57G night attack equipment installation (FLR, LLLTV and FLIR). Still, the book makes an interesting reading. Cheers

Jure

I have checked 'B-57 Canberra In Vietnam' in Wings of Fame Volume 19 and that does not provide anything further however a web search shows that International Air Power Review had a two-part B-57 Variant Briefing.     Quite often these articles included line drawings so I will dig my copies out in the morning and see what might be there.

Hi, Fido996 -- these may also be of interest, concerning the nose sensor area:

2v2Js4uwjxfzdhW.jpg2v2Js4ufnxfzdhW.jpg

Note that the area between the cheek pods is NOT flat.

2v2Js4ucrxfzdhW.jpg

And lastly, the one that no one noticed -- the top of the nose is NOT perfectly round, but slightly "flattened" to allow for the fueling probe to lay beneath the pilot's general line-of-sight:

2v2Js4uY5xfzdhW.jpg

Best wishes on your build,

Ed

• Thanks 1

Thank you all very much for the input, plenty to be going on with now.

9 hours ago, Des said:

There are a couple of images in 'B-57 Canberra At War' by Robert G. Mikesh and published by Ian Allan in 1980.

One shows an unidentified B-57G with the forward facing panels continuing back underneath the nose fairing , with the parts underneath being maybe half the size of those facing forward.      The other is of the 'Pave Gat' test aircraft and while the underneath is mainly in shadow it seems to show the same.

I think that there was something on USAF B-57s in either a Wings Of Fame or International Air Power Review volume which I will check out and get back to you if there is anything further that might help.

Des, thanks for that. That title rang a bell so I went and checked the 'Library extension' ( the garage) and found it hiding there. Nice one!

However, both my WoF and IAPR have some holes in, so nothing there.

9 hours ago, canberra kid said:

Hi @Fido996

The short answer is yes it does go under the nose, take a look at my B.57G build here B.57G WIP also on my site I have a B.57G cockpit album B.57G cockpit album 

v37IaN.jpg

v37o9m.jpg

John

Canberra Kid, it was your build that inspired me to crack this kit open. So, yes, it's all your fault! 😂👍

Thanks to you all for your help with this, very much appreciated.

Edited by Fido996
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fido996 said:

Thank you all very much for the input, plenty to be going on with now.

Des, thanks for that. That title rang a bell so I went and checked the 'Library extension' ( the garage) and found it hiding there. Nice one!

Canberra Kid, it was your build that inspired me to crack this kit open. So, yes, it's all your fault! 😂👍

Thanks to you all for your help with this, very much appreciated.

Sorry about that😊 have you looked at the WIP on my site? I have more detail than in the BM one? 

John

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fido996 said:

Found them this morning - Volumes 20 and 21 of IAPR but sadly nothing showing the specific area you are interested in.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, canberra kid said:

Sorry about that😊 have you looked at the WIP on my site? I have more detail than in the BM one? 

John

John- It was seeing your B-57G build that convinced me to leave my kit in the box; can't even begin to match that little beaut! BTW- a million thanks for your recent gift; I will try to put it to good use! Which new-tool BMK 2 to buy? Decisions, decisions!

Mike

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

John- It was seeing your B-57G build that convinced me to leave my kit in the box; can't even begin to match that little beaut! BTW- a million thanks for your recent gift; I will try to put it to good use! Which new-tool BMK 2 to buy? Decisions, decisions!

Mike

Sorry again Mike, I wouldn't want to put anyone off building a model, it's not one I'd run to for a quick build that's for sure! I'm sure you'll do a grand job of the bit's I sent, as for which B.2 that's not an easy one.

John

1 hour ago, Steve McArthur said:

Dmold has released a forward fuselage correction. It's pricey, and the nose looks a little too pointy to my eye, but the chin fairing looks spot on compared to the few photos I've been able to find.

B-57G%20forward%20fuselage%20Airfix.JPG

I've been looking at getting one of the B noses for some time but they appear to be permanently out of stock? I agree about the shape of the radar nose being tapered. The pitot looks a bit short too but I guess most people would replace that with a metal one anyway. I can't see how accurate the cockpit is from these photos but nothing very G stands out It would have been nice if they had included seats for that price too. 

John  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, rossm said:

Is it me or do the photos in this post show the undernose glazing is offset to port?

Yep :nerd:

2v2Js4uY5xfzdhW.jpg&key=500b757574922e51

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Yep :nerd:

2v2Js4uY5xfzdhW.jpg&key=500b757574922e51

Not only that, Mike, but the nosecap also appears to be flatter at the top and more rounded at the bottom- never noticed that before! (Thanks again for getting me back in the fold, BTW!)

Mike

• Like 1