RAF Phantom snow camo?

RMP2

11 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

Ha! Careful though, we are in the Aircraft Cold War section... 🤔

Hah ha ha ..careful what you wish for ....is that a british tank ..reminds me of sticking all that white tape all over my fighting order and weapon....Bootneck will know lol

4 minutes ago, junglierating said:

..reminds me of sticking all that white tape all over my fighting order and weapon....Bootneck will know lol

Sticking white tape on your weapon.....is that a Navy thing.....?😉

• Haha 5

On 5/2/2018 at 9:47 PM, Graham Boak said:

Puma?  Wessex?  Sea King?  Lynx?  Gazelle?  Scout?  Chinook?

Puma, Wessex, Gazelle and Sea King all carried snow camo at one point. Want to say yes to Lynx and Scout, but not sure. Can’t recall a s now camo’d Chinook

I have been toying with a wrap round green grey Phantom...   But this takes it a stage further!

17 hours ago, junglierating said:

Where is that....is it Evenes?

Judging from the background, this id from the northern part of Norway. I could ask on another forum.

Nils

12 minutes ago, Vingtor said:

Judging from the background, this id from the northern part of Norway. I could ask on another forum.

Nils

Agreed its not Barfufoss theres no t*t mountain for one and those building arent familiar...could it be Hell....(yes that is a place people....nice hotel actually)

2 minutes ago, junglierating said:

Agreed its not Barfufoss theres no t*t mountain for one and those building arent familiar...could it be Hell....(yes that is a place people....nice hotel actually)

It appears to be Bodø, according to tree replies on the other (Norwegian) forum.

(Hell is the nearby village/town to Værnes airport/airbase, aka Trondheim airport.)

Nils

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bar side said:

Nice sea king scheme

ZF115 Sea King HC.4 Arctic NHT 070509d

Nice scheme yes, but it is a factory-finish style done for Air Days.  The white was more of a daubing for the squadrons that went north on the annual winter deployments.  I went to Norway for most winters, between 1974 and 1988; first with 848NAS and Wessex, later with 845NAS and Sea Kings and finally with 3BAS on Lynx and Gazelle. 

3bas_1987.jpg

The Wessex and Sea Kings got the usual splash of white but I can't recall the Lynx or Gazelles getting the treatment, even in wide open and very white areas.

3bas_in_1987.jpg

note the Lynx on the right has 'gloves' on the main rotor blades and a canvas frame over the tail rotors as well as the usual covering of the front glazing.

Mike

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Can’t recall a s now camo’d Chinook

Nearest I could find is this one in UN marks

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/british-chinook-helicopter-from-the-rafs-7th-squadron-based-news-photo/51990606?esource=SEO_GIS_CDN_Redirect

I have been looking through my photo collection but I've only found these snow-camo images :

This photo is of an LCU from HMS Fearless, taken from ss Canberra on 22nd May 1982 in "Bomb Alley"

lcu_from_fearless_1.jpg

If memory serves me correctly, this is a view of Foxtrot 4 (F4) taken on 24th May 1982 at Port San Carlos.  She was sunk by A4 Skyhawks 8th June 1982 with the loss of all on board. :poppy:

lcu_from_fearless_2.jpg

Mike

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The junglie strippy scheme oringinal was as bootneck says daubbed on but  the scheme that a lot of us are familar with (prev post) was post Bosnia UN WHITE WITH A BIT MORE WHITE....not sure how it oringinal came to be...guess it was a winter scheme which was kept on for recognition in the FRY former republic of Yugoslavia IFOR and SFOR days  ....there are differences between then and the last reincarnation of the scheme.Dont think any exist now ZA298 (king of the junglies.....really?)is boring green.

Anyway more dark blue hijacking sorry....back to whif tooms.I think the green and white with LAG undersides.There is a terrific aerial pic of a vulcan flying over a snowy noggy forrest and the grey looks almost white...very effective cam and consealment(put that in for you Mike).

End of pipe!

Edited by junglierating
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Scimitar said:

We had three painted up for operations in Croatia around 1995. Initially the UN markings were painted in washable black paint, but this ran up the windscreens when one of them flew into a rain on its first flight in the scheme. After that the In was removed leaving the Dark Green showing which was just as effective from a distance. After working for 12 yrs on Chinooks we never had one painted in a snow scheme for the times that I went to colder climes.

• Thanks 1

On 5/4/2018 at 3:13 PM, bootneck said:

Nice scheme yes, but it is a factory-finish style done for Air Days.  The white was more of a daubing for the squadrons that went north on the annual winter deployments.  I went to Norway for most winters, between 1974 and 1988; first with 848NAS and Wessex, later with 845NAS and Sea Kings and finally with 3BAS on Lynx and Gazelle. 

3bas_1987.jpgThe Wessex and Sea Kings got the usual splash of white but I can't recall the Lynx or Gazelles getting the treatment, even in wide open and very white areas.

3bas_in_1987.jpg

note the Lynx on the right has 'gloves' on the main rotor blades and a canvas frame over the tail rotors as well as the usual covering of the front glazing.

Mike

There were only a couple of Gazelles that I’ve been able to find photos of, one in the 70s and another in 1986 (XX450)

On 5/4/2018 at 1:25 PM, At Sea said:

I have been toying with a wrap round green grey Phantom...   But this takes it a stage further!

I am a little ahead of you. RAF RF-4E (one of the undelivered Iranian ones which we bought to supplement the Tornadoes), overall grey/green in 13 sqd markings. 

It's half decalled with no stores yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Richard E said:

Unfortunately I can't find Richard's @Gekko_1 alternative Phantom colour schemes thread but I'm fairly sure it contained a snow camouflaged example 

Yeah you can thank Photobucket for destroying most of my images here on Britmodeller. Was it this one?

Canada_8.jpg

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Gekko_1 said:

Was it this one?

When Scottish Aviation at Prestwick finished the CF-104 overhauls the CF-116s  (is that correct?) started to arrive.   Well they might have!

Lovely drawing.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Gekko_1 said:

Yeah you can thank Photobucket for destroying most of my images here on Britmodeller. Was it this one?

Canada_8.jpg

That could be the one Richard, certainly it gives a good indication of what one of Her Majesty's Phinest Phantoms could look like in its winter plumage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1