Ebbro Tyrrell 1/20

Thanks for the replies 😊 .  Pc, I'll try and get a few more when the sun returns...😊  This is one of the build pics that I really like in the meantime

2017-09-14_09-11-07

Edited by KonaDawg
Adding a pic
  • Like 2

Superb build! I built one of the first large size Tamiya versions back in the day! After seeing Jackie at Silverstone testing when I was marshalling there. In the later years we got together, where I worked then on the airfield, in a circuit safety team! 

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments gents 😊. Pat, that's really interesting.  I'm a big fan of F1. Really enjoying this year's racing.  I met David Coulthard once and bought a few signed McLaren models. Hopefully tamiya, ebbro or aoshima will get some license to reproduce a few other cars. Would love a 2018 Williams 😊

Yes KonaDawg I think the followers of F1 will all like to see many more F1 car models, but it's all down to how many they think will buy them. Plus the model company's actively advertising that they exist , perhaps in Motor Racing magazines like Autosport, Motor Sport and the F1 magazine!

Nice job :like:. I made the 003 last year which is very similar - keep meaning to take some pics and post in the RFI section. Those number decals on the sides gave me nightmares! I learned a lot whilst making it too - hoping to put it into practice when I make the next Ebbro in the stash... I too wish there were more decent F1 models on the market, though I'm more interested in the classic F1 cars than the current crop of cars. The MFH models look stunning, if only I could afford one :)

How did you find making the kit?

• Like 1

Hi monsjmse,

I found it either fell together or fought hard 😊.  There where some really well fitting parts but a few areas (front steering and suspension) that took some effort.  Be good to see some of your build pics.  If the McLaren/Honda hadn't been such a dog I'd have bought it as I'm a bit of an Alonso fan.  Yeah, the MFH kits look superb but they are indeed pricey.  Worth it though given the quality.  Cheers.

I will get round to putting up some pics eventually. I found the same - some parts were fine, but a lot seemed as though they were never designed to fit together. Especially where there were holes that locating pins were supposed to fit into, the hole invariably required widening. The front part where the radiator connects to the axle assembly I was sure was going to snap as I fought to get it into position. It was only my second model back after a long break and I had pre-painted a lot of the parts before finding they didn't fit together, so it took some extra time to fix the damaged paintwork after handling everything so much. That said, I'd still make another Ebbro kit as I love the classic subjects, but will take heed of the learnings from the first one!

I'm with you re. the Ebrro McLarens. That colour scheme and lack of sponsor logos doesn't do anything for me either. If Ebbro have an affinity with modern Honda F1, I wonder if we'll see a 2018 Torro Rosso model. That might be worth a look as the blue/silver scheme is at least attractive.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2018 at 12:04 AM, monsjmse said:

I will get round to putting up some pics eventually. I found the same - some parts were fine, but a lot seemed as though they were never designed to fit together. Especially where there were holes that locating pins were supposed to fit into, the hole invariably required widening. The front part where the radiator connects to the axle assembly I was sure was going to snap as I fought to get it into position. It was only my second model back after a long break and I had pre-painted a lot of the parts before finding they didn't fit together, so it took some extra time to fix the damaged paintwork after handling everything so much. That said, I'd still make another Ebbro kit as I love the classic subjects, but will take heed of the learnings from the first one!

I'm with you re. the Ebrro McLarens. That colour scheme and lack of sponsor logos doesn't do anything for me either. If Ebbro have an affinity with modern Honda F1, I wonder if we'll see a 2018 Torro Rosso model. That might be worth a look as the blue/silver scheme is at least attractive.

I agree with your conclusions 😊. Worst part for me was the fit of the chrome exhaust. Just couldn't get it lined up. Torro Rosso would be nice subject.  

• 4 weeks later...