Antares 1/48th Me-262 V1 (Stage I) - final update

trickyrich

thanks guys.. I have just to fit and paint or visa versa the tail wheel covers and she's done. Was just about to take some photos and i noticed I'd missed that bit! :doh:

That picture Cliff certainly captures her wing lines perfectly, with her initial wing shape she was very Swallow like in looks. Pity though that was the cause of her initial instability which they found in early testing. Buy stage III of her development (and for models V2 up) she had the normal wing shape we all know. Least it'll make a Whiffy version a bit easier to do....though I do really like the old wing shape. My Whiffy though will have to be a tail dragger as there would be no room in the nose for nose gear and a whopping big DB-603! :hmmm:

• Like 1

...and she’s done! I could have finished her a bit sooner but I got distracted again.

As usual with all builds the last few bits took the most time and effort. I didn’t get too bothered about the wheel wells as the interiors were way undersized and missing lots of detail.

The canopy was frightening to touch-up, as mentioned it was/is almost paper thin and the rear half bends with the slightest touch (I got it to bend slightly with a paint brush!).  The NMF could have been better but it’s my first real attempt (as mentioned many times, NMF’s scary the  :poop: out of me!) and being NMF it probably could have done with rivets, but that was not an option with the original resin being so hard and brittle.

But all said and done I love her!! :wub: She is such a beautiful looking aircraft without the jets (she’s also awesome with them), I’m so glad I built her. As mentioned she may become the inspiration for a Whiffy build, even in this finished stage I may use her to re-cast the nose.

Thanks for following this build, photo’s will be in the gallery and RFI sections.

IMG_1699-XL.jpg

IMG_1693-XL.jpg

IMG_1689-XL.jpg

• Like 2

• trickyrich changed the title to Antares 1/48th Me-262 V1 (Stage I) - final update
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dermo245 said:

Wow.

This was modelling :worthy:

I just stick bits of plastic together!

Fantastic.

thanks, but trust me that is much easier and less stressful...or should I say tying!! :D

• Haha 2

• 2 years later...
On 13/07/2018 at 15:18, Mike said:

I give it 10 minutes after you've finished before HB bring one out :owww:  I'm just about at the paint stage with mine too, but a huge task for the server has cropped up that's taking all my awake time up :tired:

Well that was disappointing 😭 3 years and they still haven't released one :( Sorry to revive the thread and force you to relive your old trauma, but I'm reading the new Valiant Wings Me.262 book and salivating over all the oddities they considered :tasty:

• Haha 1

On 5/1/2021 at 10:56 PM, Mike said:

Well that was disappointing 😭 3 years and they still haven't released one :( Sorry to revive the thread and force you to relive your old trauma, but I'm reading the new Valiant Wings Me.262 book and salivating over all the oddities they considered :tasty:

I'm actually just going over this old thread again. I agree there are some REALLY interesting subjects.

Plus Antares has re-released The V-1 version again, I'm seriously tempted to get another one and fit the jets as she had in later trials..... or get the V-3jet only version!

@trickyrich the only thing is, it’s shame about the high price, if you end up throwing some of it in the bin :hmmm:I had a look and couldn’t justify it, as much as I’d love  one. You know me and my 262s :blush: 

@Mike you're not wrong about the price....but there again I have a very bad habit of spending way too much on AMA stuff for my builds, so it's not tooo bad!!  :whistle:

• Haha 1