Antares 1/48th Me-262 V1 (Stage I) - final update

trickyrich

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Coming along nicely - I've just noticed that the inner wing panels aren't swept, which makes the prospect of a conversion just that bit trickier :rolleyes: Nice scratching of the under-nose bit though ;)

yeah they were like that up until later in the Stage 2 part of V1's life from memory.

I was for a while going to cast a new set of wings from the Tamiya or just use and modify them (then use the leftover model with the Antares Me-262 HG II conversion kit). But these probably more work involved there than the cutting and splicing I'm planning. If I cut it in the right place you'll never notice.

I'm going to have to start thinking about painting up the cockpit very soon as well as these wings will need to go on soon.

There are no photo's of the cockpit insides of V1 so I'll probably just fit the standard Me-262 IP, all the gauges would have been there for the jets, I'm just not sure where the gauges for the Jumo would have been????

Thanks Cliff, for a while I was wondering if she'd end up in a pile of doom somewhere as I wasn't to sure how to tackle her issues! But I've nearly pasted the hump and I have plans in place so it should be a straight forward build (for me anyway) from then on. 

But gosh I'm looking forward to building a plastic model again!

Ok update time.

I sanded back the nose to shape and as luck would have it for a change I got it right first go! The profile is as close as I can get to the drawings I have, plus it looks right, which in some cases is more important. I only needed a small bit of filler, this was sanded back as well.

The results are really hard to see in these photos as The auto-focus kept tripping out. I have since added the two panel lines I lost and give this area a final touch up with filler. 

IMG_1533-L.jpg

IMG_1534-L.jpg

I’ll sand it back tomorrow and probably give it a coat of Micro Filler to see how it looks.

IMG_1535-L.jpg

You may notice I’ve added a section plastic card to the front of the new resin fuselage to remove the gap plus I’ve added a support for the wing section, I’ve done the same with the front as well.

The wing is now almost sitting perfectly.

IMG_1536-L.jpg

I’ve started marking up the wing root section I need to cut out and move. It needs to drop a wee bit more at the rear on each side, I think this may have been due to the mould issues being mostly at the rear end of the fuselage…..maybe??? Anyway I’ll cut this out on both side and fit them to the wings once they’re on, them just fill in the gaps with scrap resin and re-profile…simple!

IMG_1539-L.jpg

I really do now need to start on the cockpit and main wheel well areas……I wonder what issues I’ll find there!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mottlemaster said:

Superb workmanship . This isnt your first resin conversion is it?

:D gosh all I seem to be building these days are resin beasties! Least it's helping to reduce the stash a wee bit........ then will have room for more! :wicked:

Well I’ve made quite a bit of progress with her, even to the stage where she’s had her first coat of primer, but first.

After tiding up the new nose section, and it’s almost done now, I’ve found the final few gaps and issues so it will be finished next filling/sanding cycle.

Now the wing join….. Some careful cutting was required here, not an easy task with this resin!

Well no going back now!

IMG_1548-L.jpg

I glued the cut off section to the wings and found I needed to add the rear bulkhead as well to help keep them at the right width.

IMG_1550-L.jpg

With everything in place the wings now sit at the correct position and angle (it's just resting there at the moment), plus the wing fairings are in the right place. All I need to do is fill in the gaps…..easy huh?

IMG_1552-L.jpg

With that done (well almost) I then fitted the radiator for the engine, not quite a simple task due to the way the resin block was cast. It took quite a bit of grinding and careful filing to get it to fit nicely. I just need to add a wee bit of filler and smooth it all out.

IMG_1549-L.jpg

I’ve now gotten to the stage where I need to finish the cockpit so I can fit tht so I can fit the wings and start filling in all those gaps. So everything was given a coat of Micro Filler.

IMG_1555-L.jpg

Just sitting there she certainly looks rather odd! You sort of know what she’s meant to be but with that engine and no jet pods!

IMG_1557-L.jpg

I may slow down the pace of this build for now, I’m really happy with where I’m at. It’s now just a matter of putting it all back together, which from here is a relatively straight forward build. 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't it nice when you get to this stage and you can reasonably be sure there are no nasty surprises to come .

I think you now have the firm foundations to end up with a superb result . Good idea to  savoir its completion

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Wow it seems like forever since I last update this, or actually did anything on this build!

I haven’t not been building, just on some other non-GB projects, plus adding more aviation books to my library, somewhere around 120+!

IMG_1618.jpg

AMX-10RCR Separ, G6 Rhino, Rooikat AFV

IMG_1616.jpg

4K51 Rubezh Costal ASM wt P-15

IMG_1617.jpg

...some fun with plastic for a bit.

Right back to the main event.....

I finished off the cockpit, I needed to do time before I could fit the wings. It was really just guess work as there are no photos (that I know of) of V1’s cockpit. There must have been extra’s for the Jumo 210 but I have no idea where they would have been fitted, so I just left the cockpit as it came......more or less.

IMG_1620-L.jpg

Whilst working on that I did a few other bits......

..fitted plastic strip to replace part of the fuselage sides....

IMG_1628-L.jpg

Fitted a couple of the Jumo’s extra intakes (air and oil cooler), the air intake sat too high so I needed to remove it and adjust.....

IMG_1627-L.jpg

..broken wing tips, these were cut-out and new resin sections added.....

IMG_1629-L.jpg

...the tail surfaces were added, for some reason the rudder was a bit short, ~1-1.5mm, so I needed to cut it and add a new section...

IMG_1625-L.jpg

.......added some plastic to the fuselage/wing section joins, this will save on filler.

IMG_1631-L.jpg

Once all this was done and the cockpit completed it was all glued together.

IMG_1635-L.jpg

The fuselage/wing joins actually came out ok. Some work with the file and wet-n-dry was needed as well as a bit of filler, but this was mostly to help with the contouring. There’s a little bit more needed but it’s close to being done. I cut out the canopy as well, gosh it was as thin as tissue! I have to be very careful with that one!

I love the look of her! She’s so clean looking, they had the design right from day one. Even without the jets engines and fitted with a Jumo 213 or the hot version of the DB 603, she would have been frightening beats to come up against! There’s gotta be a Whiffy in that idea??

IMG_1634-L.jpg

IMG_1633-L.jpg

IMG_1632-L.jpg

Once I get the wing and fuselage joins done it should be a quick build from there. I then just need o have a nice smooth and clean surface for the metal finish. As far as I’ve read the finish wasn’t highly polished, more rather a finished metal/s finish with a few different “coloured” metals.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Ok after a somewhat glacial pace progress I have some progress to report….though I have to admit other projects and re-organising my work bench has distracted me....as usual!

The cockpit is finished so I was able to close it up.

The canopy as mentioned was super fragile and would collapse with any pressure on it....I hate VacForm canopies! So I had to make a boarder for it from plastic rod with which to glue to, this should give it some strength with luck.

IMG_1658-L.jpg

IMG_1659-L.jpg

Plus I have finally finished I think all the panel lines.... 

What a horrible job made worse by the original resin being so hard and brittle and the new resin tail section being quite soft. But I think I’ve gotten it right, plus I’ve polished the resin as best as I can to give me a nice smooth surface 

IMG_1660-L.jpg

IMG_1661-L.jpg

IMG_1662-L.jpg

I’ll give her a final wash/rub down with thinners and alcohol to remove all the remaining paint and panel-lines before she has her final undercoat.

The canopy has been fitted and masked...

IMG_1664-L.jpg

...and has been given a coat of Black-Green and Clear as well as the prop, the rudder has also been painted RLM02. She’s now ready for her final masking of these.

IMG_1665-L.jpg

IMG_1666-L.jpg

The last oil cooler for the engine has been fitted as well.

IMG_1667-L.jpg

She’s now been rubdown with 6000+ grit Micro Fibre pad ready for a grey undercoat, any faults will be fixed with some filler....hopefully there will be none or very few! All going well she’ll have her first coat of metallic on the weekend. I’ll be using Model Master Metalizer paints for the main coats. These are fool proof to paint and give a really nice metallic finish. The original pictures show she the finish to be of worked metal rather than a buffed finished, which is what I would have expected the finish to be. This was not a show pony but rather a working prototype straight from the factory floor with the metal panels still in their original finish.

I’m hoping...distractions aside, to have all the painting completed by the end of the weekend.

• Like 6

I give it 10 minutes after you've finished before HB bring one out :owww:  I'm just about at the paint stage with mine too, but a huge task for the server has cropped up that's taking all my awake time up :tired:

you'd be right to say that with a lot of the more unusual aircraft but for this baby I doubt we'll see another model produced unfortunately. Maybe we can hope someone will do a proper conversion kit for the them. I actually would have liked to build V1 in all three stages of her development. Stage 2 with the BWM P.3302's fitted and retaining the Jumo 210, and stage 3 with the Jumo 004's fitted and the 3 gun nose,though there is no actual record that this was ever done or it flew in this config. She was though the only Me-262 to be fitted with a working ejector seat, a test version. All the first 10 "V" series aircraft were planned to have them fitted but it never happened. Plus the stage 3 version had the inner leading edge extension that was to be common to all 262's.

mmm computers, love to hate them.....mine seem to behave themselves when I stop playing with them!

Well I’ve made better progress than I expected yesterday! 

I had planned to only finish up the panel work and get a coat of primer on her, plus maybe the final rub back/polishing of the primer. But instead she’s painted and I’ve started work on panel differentiation. 

First there was just masking of the canopy and touching up of a couple of panel lines and she was ready to prime. Again I used Alclad’s Micro Finish Primer and gave her a nice coat. Once dry she was rubbed back with micro-fibre pads up to 9000 grit. I found a couple of mistakes which were quickly fixed. Seeing how everything went so well I decided to give her a coat of paint and see what happens.

The paint is Master Models Metalizer Buffing Aluminium, I use it for everything. It did though give me some grief, as a lacquer it’s super thin but both new bottles I had appeared to have tiny flecks of something in it, so it causes some grief with the 0.2mm tip I was using.

But it actually came out pretty much ok in the end.

IMG_1670-L.jpg

Being a Buffing paint I could vary the degree of buffing to get different effects. Plus I had some “Rub-n-Buff” chrome sliver plate which I tried out as well.

IMG_1673-L.jpg

And I’m actually quite happy with the result, I got a couple of the panels mixed up and I’ll re-spray them but the overall effect is what I’m after. I want a worked metal finish, something that has been assembled and given a quick clean and that’s it, I seriously doubt that she had hours spent on her polishing her up to a perfect finish. There are very few good photos of her to see what the finish was like and pretty well no good close-up ones. So I’ll do a couple of touch-ups and some more panel work and that’s it.

IMG_1672-L.jpg

I’ll do the panel lines as well. Just to help breakup the total silver finish and that’ll be it.

IMG_1674-L.jpg

With just the piston engine she had some amazing clean lines! With a late series DB-603 or Jumo-213 I reckon she would have been right at the top of the piston engine fighter tree! I’m so tempted to buy another one and do this Whif conversion!

IMG_1675-L.jpg

• Like 3

Well I’ve completely surprised myself with this build as in the is my last update! :yahoo:

I spent all day touching up bits and fiddling with the finish and ended up at a stage I was really happy with. So rather than continuing I called it quits.

Now the only unfortunate things is all these effects are with the texture of the paint rather than different paints or tints, so pretty much most of them or rather the degree of the effects would be lost with a clear coat. I learnt this doing something similar on another build, so she will be clear coat free. This made any panel-line wash work a lot harder as it eats the paint finish (but does produce some interesting effects I may use on other projects!)!!

Well there wasn’t much left to do but add the decals. I was a bit worried how they would go on and how the backing film would show or not. I needn’t have as they went one perfectly and you can barely see the film.

So that’s it, just the U/c to finish and fit, the radio antenna plus I may have to repaint the canopy...got some “Rub-n-buff” on it and the rudder (the prop is just sitter there at the moment).

IMG_1677-L.jpg

IMG_1676-L.jpg

IMG_1679-L.jpg

...and this is her best angle I think....

IMG_1680-L.jpg

She’s a bit raw and unfinished looking but I love it, not a “Frankenstein” but rather a “Bride of Frankenstein”, a bit of a bitsa look but goddam sexy! :wub:  Ok I have weird tastes......let’s leave it at that! :whistle:

Over the next couple of days I’ll finish those final bits and that’s it, next update will be gallery time!

• Like 7

cheers Cliff, she's sitting on the shelf as I'm playing with some other builds but I'm still doing little bits and pieces. She should/could be done in the next couple of days.

• Like 1