Me 262 A-1a from III./JG 7 flown by Major Rudolf Sinner

4 hours ago, CJP said:

Hi Peter - I found my way to this build from you Hawker Seahawk build in Carrier GB - nice attention to detail again - interesting to see the Aires resin compared to the Airfix kit parts - they are very nice but the kit parts don't look too bad either but would need a lot more work - I like your tool kit and I'm going to have to get one of those panel scribers - I now have a fine punch/die  set after seeing your work on the Sea Hawk build.

CJP

Nice of you dropping by here. The comparison of the Aires part is with the Tamiya kit as the Airfix kit is a wee bit smaller :winkgrin:

Congratulation on your punch/die set. Which one did you buy? I am sure you will discover many uses for it. My experience with panel scribers is that there is not one which fits all the jobs. I use four for different tasks, but surprisingly found the one made by Trumpeter a good all-rounder to get started.

On the other hand, when purchasing a riveter, I would go for a quality tool as the cheep one's (like Trumpeter) are a pain to use.

Cheers, Peter

3 minutes ago, Basilisk said:

Nice of you dropping by here. The comparison of the Aires part is with the Tamiya kit as the Airfix kit is a wee bit smaller :winkgrin:

Congratulation on your punch/die set. Which one did you buy? I am sure you will discover many uses for it. My experience with panel scribers is that there is not one which fits all the jobs. I use four for different tasks, but surprisingly found the one made by Trumpeter a good all-rounder to get started.

On the other hand, when purchasing a riveter, I would go for a quality tool as the cheep one's (like Trumpeter) are a pain to use.

Cheers, Peter

Thanks for that info Peter - I got the RP Toolz punch & die set which is a bit pricy but good quality I think - have not had a chance to try it out yet - I've never been into riveting models but am interested in seeing what you do with the ME262 & Sea Hawk so who knows?

Chris

• Like 1

On 5/29/2018 at 10:58 PM, CJP said:

Thanks for that info Peter - I got the RP Toolz punch & die set which is a bit pricy but good quality I think - have not had a chance to try it out yet - I've never been into riveting models but am interested in seeing what you do with the ME262 & Sea Hawk so who knows?

Chris

The RP Tools punch & die set is very nice. They are also great to punch out decals like the dials on the IP. I am sure you will discover many uses for it.

Worked on the Tamiya wings this week. I totally forgot to prepare the lower wing to accommodate the Aires parts for the slats. So some more scraping was in order. :wall:

Tamiya-262-33.jpg

The outer undercarriage bays and the inner base for the slats in place.

Tamiya-262-36.jpg

And the outer bases for the slats.

Tamiya-262-35.jpg

Tamiya-262-34.jpg

As you can see, some rails for the slats are missing. No I didn't brake them, I received the parts with them broken. Fortunately they still where in the bag so that I can repair it later.

The fitted parts of the undercarriage bay are a bit of an enhancement over the Tamiya rendition.

Tamiya-262-31.jpg

Tamiya-262-32.jpg

The upper wing needed to be modified to accommodate the resin part. First the Tamiya representation of the undercarriage bay had to be removed.

Tamiya-262-29.jpg

Then some more grinding was needed to make the wing fit without any interference.

Tamiya-262-30.jpg

Looks ok now.

Tamiya-262-37.jpg

But there are some gaps on the outer slat bases next to the engine mount which needs to be corrected before I glue the wings together.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

Sorry to say, but I failed again in this GB :( But I did made some progress over the last two weeks.

I riveted the engine pods and glued them to the wing.

Tamiya-262-39.jpg

Tamiya-262-38.jpg

I attached them before gluing the wings together as it was easier this way to align them properly.

Before fitting the upper wing parts, some gaps needed to be closed due to the slats modification.

Tamiya-262-40.jpg

Tamiya-262-41.jpg

And here with the upper wings in place.

Tamiya-262-42.jpg

Looks ok underneath, but the upper part needs some more work around the slats as the resin parts don't fit too well.

Tamiya-262-43.jpg

And it didn't help that I managed to brake and loose one of the flat rails :wall:

At least the fit of the engine pods looks good and doesn't need any filler at all. :)

Tamiya-262-44.jpg

Even though not finished, I am at least a bit closer in finishing a Me 262 :winkgrin:

Cheers, Peter

• Like 3