Eduard Spitfire Mk.IXc 1/48

Excellent looking Spitfire and the cockpit is a work of art!

Please feel free to remove that aerial wire at your first opportunity – from the Mk V, Spitfires had VHF radios with the aerial hidden in the antenna mast itself. So, no wire, period.

Really nice modelling, especially after that long hiatus!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Please feel free to remove that aerial wire at your first opportunity – from the Mk V, Spitfires had VHF radios with the aerial hidden in the antenna mast itself. So, no wire, period.

Wow! thanks for the advice

• Like 1

Really beautifully modelled and painted Spitfire, it does look fantastic. As Spitfire31 mentioned above, your version wouldn't have had an aerial wire but if you do model an earlier spitfire in the future, may I suggest you use something thinner, the radio wire you have added looks way too thick for this scale. 

That's a really nice build. I have a couple of those stashed away. I really should build one. 

One point, not so much a criticism as it's a common mistake. The metallic weathering on the propeller is incorrect as the Spitfire MkIX usually had wooden propellers. A compressed wood called Jablo. In fact the pink circles of the propeller markings on the model indicate they were Jablo on the original. They did have a metal sheath in the leading edge but that was in fact brass  or copper and any wear was limited.

In fact and counterintuitively it's the back of the propeller that gets the most weathering. 

Otherwise excellent work.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, noelh said:

One point, not so much a criticism as it's a common mistake. The metallic weathering on the propeller is incorrect as the Spitfire MkIX usually had wooden propellers. A compressed wood called Jablo. In fact the pink circles of the propeller markings on the model indicate they were Jablo on the original. They did have a metal sheath in the leading edge but that was in fact brass  or copper and any wear was limited.

Wow, thanks, here I found a picture that shows exactly what you are saying :)

mkxv.camberface.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...