Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

tonyot

1/72nd Ju 52/3m, `Libyan Clipper',....450 Sqn RAAF Western Desert,...FINISHED!!

Recommended Posts

That is quick work, Tony! I'm still fiddling about with the conversion parts to turn my Tante Ju into a Spanish Civil War bomber. Of course, now I need another Ju-52 for my Eastern Front collection. Best of luck with your model!

 

Regards,

 

Jason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once this thing is built, I reckon you'll help move a few more Italeri 52's and Xtradecal sheets. Once again this is the best form of advertising and if I were part of a modelling company (big or small) I'd try to solicit your services in order to move more product. At this pace however, your'e likely to out strip the new product schedule. It'll be interesting to know how many Airfix B-25's have sold in the last 2-3 weeks. I can happily vouch for one! 

 

Cheers.. Dave (who is keen to see that 342 Sqd Mitchell III finished - no rush Tony!!). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Tony

Lovely work, are you using a bought canopy mask, cos if you have made your own and achieved all this, it's even more impressive !

:worthy:

cheers Pat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hiya Folks,....... well got the first coat of Dark Earth camouflage on today;

27083498617_a3def9fea9_k.jpgDSCF3230 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

 

Here are the Xtradecal decals,..... as you can see,.... the roundels are incorrect, being just red white and blue without a yellow ring, th underside roundel should be much larger,.... and the camouflage pattern hasn`t been very well researched either,....

27083498107_19aa9c76c0_k.jpgDSCF3232 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

 

So while the paint is drying it is time to raid the decal spares box! 

 

Cheers

          Tony

Edited by tonyot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neat..

 

and what Dave says.. just picked up the last Ju 52 Xtradecal sheet at one online retailer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, tonyot said:

Here are the Xtradecal decals,..... as you can see,.... the roundels are incorrect, being just red white and blue without a yellow ring, th underside roundel should be much larger,.... and the camouflage pattern hasn`t been very well researched either,....

So not one that you helped research I take it Tony? Thanks for pointing this out and it will be good to see how you accura-rise (is that a word?) this kit to something closer to your period photographs. 

 

Cheers... Dave 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2018 at 3:22 PM, tonyot said:

 

Here are the Xtradecal decals,..... as you can see,.... the roundels are incorrect, being just red white and blue without a yellow ring, th underside roundel should be much larger,.... and the camouflage pattern hasn`t been very well researched either,....

So other than the words "Libyan Clipper" what exactly did Xtradecal get right? Assuming of course they got that right.

This doesn't say much for their research at all, especially regarding the yellow surround on the roundel as it is clearly visible in all of the pictures of it I have seen, very sloppy indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it amazing this aircraft didn't get shot down by our own side, after all who was going to wait long enough to see the markings before opening up on something with 3 engines ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hiya Folks,...... well I`ve been busy trying to find some suitable decals,..... the fuselage roundel is especially hard to find as it is a rare style,..... something which needn`t have to be found,.... but hey!

I`ve also added the second coat of Dark Earth while the undersides have received a coat of RLM 76 Lichtblau from Aeromaster. I`m not convinced that this Ju 52/3m was finished in a desert scheme by the German`s and the undersides look to be the lighter colour;

27113356697_ced2783646_k.jpgDSCF3239 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

40175631160_18157375d9_k.jpgDSCF3240 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

 

I`ve added some gloss varnish to the upper surfaces too,... ready for the decals,

 

Cheers

         Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is looking just beautiful Tony and that desert scheme really suits this three engined monster. 

I've been taking a closer look at the reference photos that you always kindly provide and suspect that the aircrafts underwing code letters were also overpainted in some shade of RAF paint. Do we have any idea what these letters / numbers were prior to its capture and repaint? The xtradecal instructions appear to show a possible 'R' but this is my guess only. The colour of the underwing roundel is also a tough one to pick. The use of (can't think of the word at the moment) 'special' film has got me stumped. I assume it's red white and blue but it looks like it could just be two colours only? I'll take another look after I stop typing. 

 

Cheers.. Dave . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

This is looking just beautiful Tony and that desert scheme really suits this three engined monster. 

I've been taking a closer look at the reference photos that you always kindly provide and suspect that the aircrafts underwing code letters were also overpainted in some shade of RAF paint. Do we have any idea what these letters / numbers were prior to its capture and repaint? The xtradecal instructions appear to show a possible 'R' but this is my guess only. The colour of the underwing roundel is also a tough one to pick. The use of (can't think of the word at the moment) 'special' film has got me stumped. I assume it's red white and blue but it looks like it could just be two colours only? I'll take another look after I stop typing. 

 

Cheers.. Dave . 

Thanks Dave,..... there is a photo taken from the front right which is said to be the same aircraft and it has a smaller roundel under the right wing,... compared to the huge roundel under the left wing,..... but I cannot confirm whether it is the same aircraft,...... so do I add a pair of huge under wing roundels or add a smaller one under the right wing? 

As for the painted out letters under the wings,...... the one on the white tip section looks like an `M' to me,..... but it could be anything!! I`m pretty sure that I can see painted out letters inboard too?

The film you are thinking of,.... is it Orthochromatic? Yes it turns yellow and red  black and blue looks lighter,..... and the Xtradecal artist has fallen for the trick of replicating the blue as a lighter colour!

 

Cheers,

          Tony 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hiya Folks,

                Well I got a bit more done,...... undercarriage on, windows in place, roof on, canopy on, engines on and gloss added for the decals;

27132127987_c6b2166957_k.jpgDSCF3253 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

40194194240_77e02c3c2f_k.jpgDSCF3254 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

 

Unfortunately I`ve lost quite a few of the brackets holding the wing flaps and ailerons in position as they have snapped off while handling the model!

 

Cheers

          Tony 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coming along very nicely indeed Tony.

A real pity Xtradecal didn't get the decals right as it would be making your job a lot easier.

I will see if I can find any info on the original codes of the Ju-52.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gosh, I only popped out to the shop and you built and painted  a whole kit.null Seriously great work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Coming along very nicely indeed Tony.

A real pity Xtradecal didn't get the decals right as it would be making your job a lot easier.

I will see if I can find any info on the original codes of the Ju-52.

Cheers MM,..... any info would be greatly appreciated!

 

4 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

Gosh, I only popped out to the shop and you built and painted  a whole kit.null Seriously great work!

Haha,..... cheers Andy!

 

Well,......decal time,........ having replaced all but two of the decals from the Xtradecal sheet,.....leaving just the names `Libyan Clipper',..... I applied these and wow,..... the one on the left side was far too big and the letters were not exactly the right style either,...... thus pushing the roundel further towards the tailt;

41961362362_a2c3345d01_k.jpgDSCF3257 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

 

Now this would not do,...... so I removed the decal and cut it into sections to make the letters narrower where possible,.. to match the originals as well as possible;

42005596901_51ecedcb7e_k.jpgDSCF3261 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

 

By moving the roundels around they split too,...... and when bedding in the decals with a coat of gloss varnish some of them lifted,...... so this is what I was left with,.....not ideal but the best I could do under the circumstances,....... if anybody wants to model this particular aircraft,..... don`t bother with the Xtradecal sheet!

 

Cheers

          Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From all of us, thanks for trail-blazing this scheme Tony. Looks as if sourcing some other white letters and national insignia might be the go with this captured Ju. Did it ever inherit a serial at all? Either way, it’s still looking the goods and I’m sure once finished it will look even better. It certainly will be a conversation piece at best. 

 

 Cheers.. Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent and rapid progress Tony she'slooking superb!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Cheers Fella`s!

10 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

From all of us, thanks for trail-blazing this scheme Tony. Looks as if sourcing some other white letters and national insignia might be the go with this captured Ju. Did it ever inherit a serial at all? Either way, it’s still looking the goods and I’m sure once finished it will look even better. It certainly will be a conversation piece at best. 

 

 Cheers.. Dave

Yup,.... very disappointing mate! As far as I know it never had a serial,..... but apart from its service with 450 Sqn I know nothing about it. Glad you like it,..... here is how it is looking while I wait for the varnish to dry,...... I modified some of the camouflage to conform to the position of the roundels etc;

28140900618_9ee2ec8f2f_k.jpgDSCF3263 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41293875574_b7a1979a39_k.jpgDSCF3265 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

27144150607_a4eb8ec24a_k.jpgDSCF3272 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

27943596468_0f203318df_b.jpgjunkers_ju52-3m_hk919 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41293875224_a05482504c_k.jpgDSCF3270 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41811882571_84d89d759f_b.jpgju 52 libyan clipper 450 sqn raaf-2 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41293874854_260166b557_k.jpgDSCF3271 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

40913107645_dbaae1a993_z.jpgJunkers_Ju_52_Libyan_Clipper_unloaded_1943 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

 

I went with the same sized roundel for the undersides,... and used a set left over from an Airfix Valiant. The upper wing B Type came from an Airfix Blenheim.

 

Cheers for now,

                      Tony

 

Edit,..... I meant to say,.... while building this model I keep subconsciously humming the tunes to the opening titles of the films `Battle of Britain' and Where Eagles Dare' as I look at the model,.... both iconic films with iconic title music and scenes featuring Ju 52`s! 

Edited by tonyot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great way to present this replica Tony (the word model just doesn’t sound right in this case). I love the way you have carefully photographed your kit at the same angle as the B&W shots - it really shows the attention to detail in your modelling which is always a treat to view. It also takes out the guesswork that I would certainly have had if trying to interpret these images myself. 

 

Another for the top shelf my friend. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rabbit Leader said:

Great way to present this replica Tony (the word model just doesn’t sound right in this case). I love the way you have carefully photographed your kit at the same angle as the B&W shots - it really shows the attention to detail in your modelling which is always a treat to view. It also takes out the guesswork that I would certainly have had if trying to interpret these images myself. 

 

Another for the top shelf my friend. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

Cheers Buddy,....... I`m looking forward to getting on with the matt coat, weathering and then final assembly with all of the bits that will keep snapping off! Adding the wing flaps will be fun with so many location lugs broken off,..... I`ve managed to recover some,...but not all of them!

 

All the best mate,

                         Tony 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

its been great following this build Tony. I never knew 450SQN operated a Ju-52. Might have to hunt down a kit and see what I can do for decals from the spares

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice one Tony, in spite of the frustrations with the decals it is a totally worthy representation of the beast to my mind. :)

Steve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

its been great following this build Tony. I never knew 450SQN operated a Ju-52. Might have to hunt down a kit and see what I can do for decals from the spares

Cheers Ray,.... there were quite a few captured Ju52`s and the SAAF operated the type too,.....  here are some captured ones;

42014055541_69981cad54_k.jpg2009.278.220_1 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

28141359138_2b472b651e_b.jpg6133519533_3f7883907d_b by Tony OToole, on Flickr

 

And the SAAF,..... most had 3 bladed props, Wasp engines and spats in place; 

40206960120_2e79dc2273_b.jpgJU 52 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

42014055081_dc87e83086_b.jpgJU52 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

 

Cheers

         Tony 

 

7 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Nice one Tony, in spite of the frustrations with the decals it is a totally worthy representation of the beast to my mind. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve,..... as always I really value your opinion mate,

Cheers

        Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice save on the markings. The end result is a worthy addition to any collection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tony she looks excellent.

I'm amazed how many pictures of her you have found, I have looked through my Ju-52 info but cannot find a serial/werk number or anything that would give us the original Luftwaffe unit, sorry.

You have done really well in getting her to look just like the real aircraft, despite Xtradecals best efforts.

Well done mate.

 

Craig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×