1/72nd Ju 52/3m, `Libyan Clipper',....450 Sqn RAAF Western Desert,...FINISHED!!

35 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Tony she looks excellent.

I'm amazed how many pictures of her you have found, I have looked through my Ju-52 info but cannot find a serial/werk number or anything that would give us the original Luftwaffe unit, sorry.

You have done really well in getting her to look just like the real aircraft, despite Xtradecals best efforts.

Well done mate.

Craig.

Haha,.... cheers for looking Craig!

• Like 1

Cheers Fellas,.... well I`m calling this one done!

I got some weathering done,.... a matt coat and then added all of the very fragile flaps, ailerons, elavators etc,..... plus I had to fabricate quite a few hinges from scrap sprue after they had snapped away and been lost,.... the plastic is very fragile too.

41372289104_a910982fe8_k.jpgDSCF3299_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41191184595_6235ac2ae2_k.jpgDSCF3297_NEW_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

28218647728_e1a5859e34_k.jpgDSCF3298_NEW_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41191181675_9b93130ec1_k.jpgDSCF3303_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41191182565_f6f9ca7c2c_k.jpgDSCF3300_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

42046689272_c6c660b562_k.jpgDSCF3302_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

27221922927_8f6e45e26c_k.jpgDSCF3304_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

28218649488_4c8a5dfdb3_k.jpgDSCF3286_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Thanks for your comments and encouragement along the way everybody,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 16

Tony, thankfully I managed to replace my previously sold kit for quite a steal today, so am not kicking myself as much as I once was. This is yet another inspirational and eye catching build and although I admit it will be a challenge to emulate this masterpiece, it should provide a few long hours of modelling entertainment. 

Now do I buy that decal sheet just for the ‘Libyan Clipper’ letters or try to source something generic? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Tony, thankfully I managed to replace my previously sold kit for quite a steal today, so am not kicking myself as much as I once was. This is yet another inspirational and eye catching build and although I admit it will be a challenge to emulate this masterpiece, it should provide a few long hours of modelling entertainment. 

Now do I buy that decal sheet just for the ‘Libyan Clipper’ letters or try to source something generic? 

Cheers.. Dave 

Well done Dave,...... personally I wouldn`t bother with the sheet,...... the only part of it that I used was the Libyan Clipper titles and only the one above the windows went on unmodified,....... the one on the left side was too big, the wrong style and doesn`t fit the area that it should and the letters needed to be cut in half to narrow them down as best I could! Probably better to hand paint the titles or get them custom made from the available photos. Remember that there were other captured Ju 52`s too and the SAAF had a squadron of them plying between the Union and N.Africa. 

Good luck,... whatever you decide mate,

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I really like your build. I built the Ju 52 years ago. Took me ten years to complete, two paint schemes and two kits before it was finished. You did well to get those decals on

Particularly as you had to adjust them. I took the easy way out and did the simple Crete scheme in the end. I wasn't brave enough to mask it at the time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sea said:

I really like your build. I built the Ju 52 years ago. Took me ten years to complete, two paint schemes and two kits before it was finished. You did well to get those decals on

Particularly as you had to adjust them. I took the easy way out and did the simple Crete scheme in the end. I wasn't brave enough to mask it at the time.

Thanks mate,.... yes it is a fiddly kit mind you, it bet yours looks great in the Crete scheme.

Cheers

Tony