1/72nd Ju 52/3m, `Libyan Clipper',....450 Sqn RAAF Western Desert,...FINISHED!!

Hiya Folks,

I`ll probably be bashing a few kits out for this GB,...... as the MTO subject really gets my creative juices flowing,...... but I`ll probably start off with the 1/72nd scale Italeri Ju52/3m kit built as the aircraft captured by 450 Sqn RAAF and operated as a squadron transport/hack named `Libyan Clipper'. I`ve wanted to make a model of this one for years, with its odd titles on either side of the fuselage and now that it has appeared on a recent Xtradecal sheet,....I finally can! According to ADF Serials website; " This Luftwaffe’s transport aircraft Junkers Ju 52/3m was captured intact by the Australian forces at Ain-El Gazala, Libya, repainted with the Royal Australian Air Force’s roundels and nicknamed "Libyan Clipper". The aircraft was used by 450 Squadron RAAF to transport mail, food supplies and small items from Cairo and back to the front line, doing two or three trips each week. Lord Casey, Governor General of Australia, came in this aircraft to see the men of the squadron. 1943. "

Here is the real aeroplane,..photos from my own collection and also thanks to the excellent ADF Serials website;

27943596468_0f203318df_b.jpgjunkers_ju52-3m_hk919 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

40004472090_8266033846_z.jpgJunkers_Ju_52_RAAF_Libyan_Clipper_1943 (1) by Tony OToole, on Flickr

40913107645_dbaae1a993_z.jpgJunkers_Ju_52_Libyan_Clipper_unloaded_1943 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41811882571_84d89d759f_b.jpgju 52 libyan clipper 450 sqn raaf-2 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

26944179787_6e92ee29b0_h.jpgju 52 captured by Tony OToole, on Flickr

This is the decal sheet,... which has for some reason missed the yellow outer ring from the fuselage roundel!;

40913108115_f970ec4205_b.jpg01_fs by Tony OToole, on Flickr

And here are my two Italeri Ju52/3m kits to choose from;

40004472180_3d0ded4cde.jpgItaleri-Italaerei-172-Junkers-Ju-52-Ju52-3M-G5-G9 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

40913107495_78a0e8258c_z.jpgs-l640 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

The Allies utilised a large number of captured enemy aircraft in the Western Desert and it is nice to be able to re create one of these,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 22

Oh why did I sell my Italeri kit a short while back for a measly profit!! I’ll be honest, I had no idea that 450 Sqd operated this Ju52 and that this subject now appears on that new decal sheet. This will be one to watch and another one of those virtual models to build in that ‘one day I’ll do that’ category. 

I’m watching Mr. O’T and have reserved the whole front row to myself. Now I’m only moving if someone wants to part ways with their unwanted Italeri Ju.52!! 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2

8 hours ago, modelling minion said:

A great choice Tony, strangely enough I thought you would build this as soon as I saw it on the Xtradecal sheet.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this classic.

You know me too well,...haha!! My quirky tastes are contagious!! 

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'm going to need another ju 52 kit now, two probably, I want to do one from Stalingrad too & my current one is destined to become the one from "Where Eagles Dare"

Steve.

I love the Ju52 from Where Eagles Dare tooSteve,...... it once flew over my house and took ages,..... it was so slow,....but I was not complaining in the slightest! 

9 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Love the Ju 52 Tony, built the civil version a year or two back a pretty flawless kit despite it's age.

Good to hear Steve,.... I last built one over 20 yrs ago and there was glue everywhere,..... not one of my finest moments!

23 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nice choice Tony, I've not seen a Ju52 in those colours before.

Cheers Ozzy,.... yes I like the odd schemes,..... especially on captured aircraft.

On 5/1/2018 at 12:02 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Oh why did I sell my Italeri kit a short while back for a measly profit!! I’ll be honest, I had no idea that 450 Sqd operated this Ju52 and that this subject now appears on that new decal sheet. This will be one to watch and another one of those virtual models to build in that ‘one day I’ll do that’ category. 

I’m watching Mr. O’T and have reserved the whole front row to myself. Now I’m only moving if someone wants to part ways with their unwanted Italeri Ju.52!! 

Cheers.. Dave

Isn`t it always the way Dave,.... we`ve all done it,..... me recently with a Canadair water bomber,.....having seen them on Ice Pilots I then want to build the kit that I had sold! 

Well no pressure then folks,.... gulp,.... roll on start day!

Cheers

Tony   

• Like 6

14 hours ago, tonyot said:

I love the Ju52 from Where Eagles Dare tooSteve,...... it once flew over my house and took ages,..... it was so slow,....but I was not complaining in the slightest! 

I can beat that, I flew in it in Switzerland in 1988 on a visit to Dubendorf for an airshow.

I believe that JuAir still fly trips in there 3 Tante Ju's from there and I would really like to go back and do it again.

• Like 2

On 5/3/2018 at 9:42 AM, modelling minion said:

I can beat that, I flew in it in Switzerland in 1988 on a visit to Dubendorf for an airshow.

I believe that JuAir still fly trips in there 3 Tante Ju's from there and I would really like to go back and do it again.

Wow,.... you lucky devil,..... were you running the music score in your head too? I`ll have to get to Switzerland some day,....paid for my lad to go a year ago but never myself!

Right,.... my missus dug the kit out for me;

40996124035_72040e90a6_k.jpgDSCF3207 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Here are the parts,.... showing the excellent detail on these rather old parts now,....including the wiggly tin effect skinning;

41177864274_9460bc4f0c_k.jpgDSCF3204 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41177862774_3775310f4a_k.jpgDSCF3206_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr 

And here are some of the `Ambulance version' parts;

40996125405_9ad422c464_k.jpgDSCF3205 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

• Like 5

..a collector's item from Mr O'Toole and a new one on me, thanks as usual Tony for the inspiration! 

talking of Ju-Air  - HB-HOS photographed from HB-HOT out of Dubendorf taken by my friend Jan Forsgren who recently published a Ju 52 history for Fonthill. The Swiss Ju 52s have 'original' BMW engines with twin-bladed props unlike the well-known Lufthansa D-AQUI which has P&W engines with three-bladed props 

JanForsgrenJu52inflightsmall.jpg

JanForsgrenJu52inflight.jpg

• Like 4

Cheers Fella`s,....... well it is the 5th,..... so off we go!!!

I was up early this morning,...... so I decided to pre paint the interior of the model using rattle can Humbrol Tank Grey for the interior and Matt Black for the engines;

40996123115_048b5f4878_k.jpgDSCF3209 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

The joy of acrylic rattle can paint is that it dries so quickly,.... so the parts were next dry brushed using silver and the interior was assembled;

41177860334_664e45dcba_k.jpgDSCF3210 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

The rear window on the right side was opened up and the gun window inserted, while a rectangular window was cut out on the other side,... as per the original aeroplane. Soon the fuselage halves were joined;

27037365067_34610e69c9_k.jpgDSCF3222 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41006782005_6f532ce0fc_k.jpgDSCF3221_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

The wings and engines were also quickly assembled tpp;

27037366097_0f6943dca2_k.jpgDSCF3220_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

And last of all..... the wings and tailplanes were added and the model has been set aside for the glue to dry;

27037363927_b66da6b525_k.jpgDSCF3223_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers for now,

Tony

• Like 13

Tony, what you have achieved in one day mate would likely take me more than one month!! This will be at the paint stage quicker than you can spell the word J-u-n-k-e-r-s. ... And let’s not forget you’ve still got a few B-25’s on the go! At this rate, you’d even manage to make speed dating look slow.

Like others here, we are all watching on and shaking our heads in disbelief. It’s honesty great to watch though. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, tonyot said:

Wow,.... you lucky devil,..... were you running the music score in your head too? I`ll have to get to Switzerland some day,....paid for my lad to go a year ago but never myself!

Yes I was, unashamedly so!! I loved every minute of the flight and really want to do it again, and re-visit Switzerland as it is a truly beautiful country.

This must be the fastest kit off the blocks ever! Even for you this is quick work, and good too. I look forward to seeing the finished article tomorrow 😉.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Grandboof said:

Great start I shall try not to blink or it will be all over   

Martin H

I know what you mean Martin, I'd be still agonising how I was going to mask those grooves in the skin let alone glue anything. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I know what you mean Martin, I'd be still agonising how I was going to mask those grooves in the skin let alone glue anything. :)

Steve.

Haha,..... thats the beauty of brush painting,..... no need to mask off a camouflage scheme!! 

14 hours ago, modelling minion said:

This must be the fastest kit off the blocks ever! Even for you this is quick work, and good too. I look forward to seeing the finished article tomorrow 😉.

1 hour ago, Grandboof said:

Great start I shall try not to blink or it will be all over   

Martin H

Haha,.. not exactly,...... especially using enamels too,...... which are still drying!

I`ve left the roof off for now in order to make fitting the glazing easier,..... but last night I`ve added the first coat of Middle Stone using Humbrol enamel;

41924149411_a90eb34eab_k.jpgDSCF3228 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

I`ve also blasted some rattle can white under the wing tips and then masked them off.

Cheers for now,

Tony

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Haha,..... thats the beauty of brush painting,..... no need to mask off a camouflage scheme!

I'd still spend the next week touching  up runs in all those grooves I reckon. I'm looking forward to seeing how you cope with this.

Steve.

• Like 1