Corsair's Me. 262 Schwalbe

Corsairfoxfouruncle

Hello Everybody ... So Im almost done over in the Carrier group build with my F-18 Hornet. Time to set this one up. For this build im going to use Hobbyboss’s easy build Me.262 A1a. Im not sure if i will usegcv2xbR.jpg

the kits markings options though. Im thinking a bit outside the box for this build. Im thinking of something like these two profiles might be the direction i go. ETV4FmU.jpg

AE6vgKG.jpg

Again i may or may not go with kit markings or profiles. I have a bit of time to think on it.

I will also try to add a little to the cockpit to help the lack of detail for that. If im brave enough i will have a go at cutting the canopy, as its a single unit currently. I will take some photo’s of the sprue’s and box contents as the week progresses.  I will post them before the start of the build. Any comments ? questions ? Or jokes ? 

Dennis

• Like 7

I love Hobby Boss kits. I don't have this one. I'm working on an  HB F-84 between breaks on my Wildcat. Hopefully the 262 will be a trouble free build. 

Edited by Thud4444
  • Thanks 1

welcome aboard Dennis, an interesting model you've chosen. 

I was worried for a bit that it was one of those really easy builds, which are a no no, but there is a bit to her, plus the scheme you've chosen, that could be a challenge.

Good luck with the build and the scheme, look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

• Thanks 1

Tricky scheme indeed, all the best. This GB needs diverse schemes. I used to think this was Commando fiction when I was a wee boy. Can't wait for this GB   AND never thought I'd ever make one. Can't wait to see this painted up 

• Thanks 1

Ok so I got my start on this today. I had some spare side panels from an eduard 190 that i grafted into the 262 cockpit. Then i gave it a coat of RLM-66. 4K9mFcC.jpg

Im not sure if you can tell from this photo. CNQOgNp.jpg

But the port side of the instrument panel is slightly raised on a 262. I added a slight shim of plastic to simulate this. I will add the decal for the panel next. Then i can work on rest of the pit (belts, pedals, paint). I hollowed out the barrels for the guns as well. Im still undecided about the final scheme. Plenty of time to decide yet. 

Dennis

• Like 3

Hello so i added pedals to the pit & still need the decal. 

AXIwcXj.jpg

UYrLnyu.jpg

Scored the fan blades into the turbine face. H/boss gives you a blank piece of plastic. I also drilled the tips out like this photo. mPEjZcG.jpg

Thats it for now as SWMBO needs help. 

Dennis

• Like 6

Hello everyone ... So ive done a little work on this today. I added weight in anticipation of closing the fuselage. I added the decal and glued the pit to the lower fuselage.  JqxCN8L.jpg

I them finished painting the turbine faces. Next i painted the intakes and rear pieces of the turbine. 

c8DpyK9.jpg

I will finish painting the exhaust area and start to build up the nacelles next. 

Dennis

• Like 2

Thanks @trickyrich .. the only inaccuracy so far is the flat panel for the I.P. I think its to far forward in the pit. But since the kit is designed to be buttoned up H.B. Didnt really care. I could have moved it back. However the cockpit opening is so small im not bothering. Im still debating about sawing the only canopy into 3 pieces but im leaning that direction. It will be overly thick but at least you would be able to see the office. 

Dennis

Ok so i buttoned up the fuselage today and gave it a rough sand. I then started adding a little filler to the seams. I also have read the skin of a 262 was similar to a P-51 wing. All the seams were puttied over except for inspection/maintenance hatches. So i started filling H/bosses trenches along the fuselage. Will do the same to the wings. 

DNt0Pq2.jpg

BlzduOk.jpg

Im actually pretty happy with this simplified 262 will be building more 262’s in the future. Probably try Airfix’s next. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 4

Hello everyone ... Been away from models this week getting ready for my disability hearing. Needed a bit of stress relief yesterday and today. Along with my Stuka in the MTO 2 gb. I did a little here as well. I have been filling in the panel lines on fuselage and wings when i can squeeze in a few minutes here and there. I have also gotten the nacelles built up and closed.

g6freRA.jpg

I mocked up the 262 with the nacelles in place.

v3Yc2om.jpg

Rc7GvyW.jpg

g6MOLv9.jpg

fd84FC9.jpg

Pretty good fit except at the forward upper wing connection.  

DVqu91F.jpg

Shouldnt be to hard to fix. I’ll post more later time for a break.

Dennis

• Like 5

Hello everybody ... So im done with my disabilty interview. I can get on with this and my Stuka over in the MTO 2 build. I started sanding the filler down on the 262. And have mounted the nacelles. I will add photo’s tomorrow but figured id put a quick post up. Im stuck on the scheme though. Im probably going to do the prototype 262 night-fighter. However V-056 had two paint schemes. The early scheme had the RLM-74/75 over 76, this had green mottle and carried an all black RLM-22 Tail with tufts of yarn. The later scheme was when V-056 was transferred to NJG 11 Commando Welter. She carried the Two late Greens over RLM-76. Im kind of angling for the early scheme. But would like verification of the RLM-74/75/76 scheme on an Me. 262 ? If anyone can answer thst would be great. 

Dennis

• Like 2

Hello everybody well the horizontal tail and the drop tank racks are added. Everything is sanded with the exception of these. BsowSmq.jpg

MLMgVfR.jpg

To be honest this is a decent little kit. The rudder is actually sharp, & its thin enough that light is visible through it. Im also surprised at how strong the darn pitot is ? That thing has hooked on stuff more than once and hasn't even bent. 

sgUDarm.jpg

Enough for now more later today or tomorrow. Thanks for stopping by and as usual questions ? comments ? Or jokes ? 

Dennis

• Like 4

On 5/17/2018 at 12:52 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello everybody ... So im done with my disabilty interview. I can get on with this and my Stuka over in the MTO 2 build. I started sanding the filler down on the 262. And have mounted the nacelles. I will add photo’s tomorrow but figured id put a quick post up. Im stuck on the scheme though. Im probably going to do the prototype 262 night-fighter. However V-056 had two paint schemes. The early scheme had the RLM-74/75 over 76, this had green mottle and carried an all black RLM-22 Tail with tufts of yarn. The later scheme was when V-056 was transferred to NJG 11 Commando Welter. She carried the Two late Greens over RLM-76. Im kind of angling for the early scheme. But would like verification of the RLM-74/75/76 scheme on an Me. 262 ? If anyone can answer thst would be great. 

Dennis

Hi Dennis, sorry I didn't see this one first, I replied to you in the chat section.

Gee she is looking nice, hard to believe she was a "Quick-Build" model.

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone ... Not much to report on here. Ive been concentrating on my Stuka build over in the MTO 2 build. Now that thats finally ready for paint. I can paint the RLM 76 on the belly of the 262 as well. Then the fun begins Ive never done a splinter scheme in the mid war greys? So it should be interesting. Ive got a # of photos to work from as far as the mottling goes and then theres still the question of standard camouflage on the tail, or the all black tail with the white streamers ? Im thinking to make life a bit easier i will stick to the standard camouflage ? Oh well enough said as usual questions ? comments ? or jokes ? 

Dennis

• Like 2

Hello everybody ... quick update for today. I was able to spray a homemade mix of RLM 76. It seems ok to my eyes but im not an expert. Im ising a comparison to a couple of charts and chips to base the mix on. kIrylzx.jpg

ttJCemI.jpg

z27UhbZ.jpg

I have tape on the front of the nacelles as i plan on doing foil for the leading edge of the intakes. I went fairly high up the sides of the fuselage as i need to b able to cover some of that up with the upper colors of RLM 74/75. This is the splinter Im planning on using as the base paint scheme before adding the distemper mottling. 

xtcS97o.jpg

If this is incorrect please let me know ? I plan on doing it with a soft edge though not a hard one. Have a good day andcas usual questions ? comments ? or jokes ? 

Dennis

• Like 4