Corsair's Me. 262 Schwalbe

Corsairfoxfouruncle

Nice progress, but I am not sure if the bomb racks are appropriate for this aircraft.

Yes I would go with the 74/75 scheme as there are several colour pictures of this aircraft.

lrg1731.jpg

the splinter scheme looks close enough, and soft edges are the way to go. There are several colour (ized?) pictures of this aircraft on the web, so google is your friend. They will also help with the mottling.

Cheers, Peter

• Thanks 1

that looks fine. Don't get too hung up on RLM76as there are literally thousands of post on the subject and as with most RLM colours plenty of debate. Even the paint manufactures can't agree. Add in the different colour setups with computer monitors.......(it looks different between my 3 monitor, only one of which is correctly calibrated)

If it looks good in the flesh then stick with it, the top colours and the mottle will change how it looks as well.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Peter @Basilisk ... Yeah I agree they probably aren't but i had them glued on before i figured that out. So im just going to fudge it and leave them on. Besides a Nightfighter would probably want as much loiter time as possible im thinking. 

Dennis

8 minutes ago, Basilisk said:

Nice progress, but I am not sure if the bomb racks are appropriate for this aircraft.

Yes I would go with the 74/75 scheme as there are several colour pictures of this aircraft.

the splinter scheme looks close enough, and soft edges are the way to go. There are several colour (ized?) pictures of this aircraft on the web, so google is your friend. They will also help with the mottling.

Cheers, Peter

:D I've just been looking at one of the same photo's in that series as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thanks Peter @Basilisk ... Yeah I agree they probably aren't but i had them glued on before i figured that out. So im just going to fudge it and leave them on. Besides a Nightfighter would probably want as much loiter time as possible im thinking. 

Dennis

I found this information on another Forum:

"According Dan O'Connells Me262 - The Production Log, it is a Me 262 A-1a, Werknummer 170056, with Stammkennzeichen KL+WJ, built at Leipheim, where it was before 12. July 1944.  Used as the second V2 Testbed after it's loss. In late August Oberammergau delivered ETC 504 racks for installation on V056."

Not sure if this information is correct, but if so, this aircraft did had the bomb racks fitted prior conversion for night fighter tests. so as you suggested, they maybe did fit them again to carry drop tanks ;)

Cheers, Peter

• Thanks 1

Hello Everyone ... So i finished painting the 262 earlier today. Im stunned at how close the RLM 74/75 are to each other ? I promise you there are two paints on this. 

5Q0oqvY.jpg

Its almost impossible to see the two unless you hold the model a certain way. Im not happy the way the mottles turned out either .. to much spatter ?PYeFBiD.jpg

YWpbF1r.jpg

n6oXGc0.jpg

Its been almost 20 years since ive done this with an airbrush. I will live with it and learn from the experience. Its a matter of dropping the pressure and still being able to suck paint up ? Add to that the right distance from the model so you dont get spiders. I plan on a number of Luftwaffe builds over the next year or two so im sure to get practice. 

Next up are the Decals but that might have to wait several days. Unfortunately I have had some unexpected things come up. These need to be taken care of this week and cant be postponed. Thanks for looking and as usual comments ? questions ? or jokes ? 

Dennis 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 4

The airbrushing looks very good, but I am not so sure about the tones of the colours as they look very green to me. What brand of paint did you use?

The picture below is of a Bf 109G and the aircraft is still in the original German colours 74/75

Bf_109G_6.sized.jpg

The contrast between 74 and 75 is indeed not much. You can see the difference between 74/75 on the upper fuselage after the Balkenkreuz)

Cheers, Peter

• Thanks 1

Hi Dennis, the paint job is not too bad at all but I have to agree with Peter that the colours do look a bit off.

A RLM 74/75 colour scheme should be a mix of Greys, Dark Grey 74 & Grey 75, the colours you used look to be closer to RLM 82/83 (Light Green & Dark Green) and with even less differences than that. I'd be interested to know the paint you used as well as it just doesn't look right.

The trick with airbrushing is to keep the paint as thin as possible, 50/50 or greater thinners to paint and lower pressure is the trick. Don't worry if it appears to be too thin, just another light coat or two and it'll be fine. That way you can get a really nice finish and still keep all the detail.

Here's a chart that shows even the experts have trouble with the correct tones for RLM paints.

Luftwaffe Colours

now to start getting technical..

RLM Colours

these guy's are my go to for RLM colours, I'm not sure if they're 100% correct but they help make this sometimes puzzling subject not so puzzling.

IPMS Stockholm German colour reference chart

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Basilisk said:

The airbrushing looks very good, but I am not so sure about the tones of the colours as they look very green to me. What brand of paint did you use?

10 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Hi Dennis, the paint job is not too bad at all but I have to agree with Peter that the colours do look a bit off

Hello ... Rich & Peter. Thanks for the comments actually the greenish cast is my fault. In an effort to show the splinter pattern, i played around with the photos in my Iphone edit package. I will repost the same photos and you will see they are very much grey. As for what paint brand they're Vallejo colors. One is grey-violet the other dark grey blue. The paint chips i have for them have an ok  yet not perfect contrast ? Nothing this close or dark ? 

Peter thanks for showing that photo. I dont even come close to that little bit of contrast. Its almost as if the two paints are one shade off. 

Rich I actually have the 1st & 3rd charts you recommended. They're bookmarked and screen captured in my photos. I will add the other to my listings. 

Hello @trickyrich & @Basilisk ... here are the unedited photos. pnBwrz7.jpg

Jst7lID.jpg

lQLd47f.jpg

KShxqS2.jpg

Dark aren't they ? These are completely unedited, yet the 3rd & 4th photo’s still look a touch green ? If you look at the 3rd photo from the top you can barely make out the splinter. As you can see not a whole lot of contrast between the two greys. But on the photo of the Bf. 109 that Peter shows, the contrast is quite visible and lighter ? I suppose i can repaint it, however im rather limited in the lighter grey dept. ? I could just leave it  as lesson learned & could buy another grey for the next time ? I could just say 🤬 it and shelve the kit ? Opinions ? Ideas ? 

Dennis

Why don't you try some other colours on scrap/old model, try to find a good 74/75 that you like the look of, then redo this. It would be a shame to abandon ship when all it needs is a good paint job.

Edited by Mike
Removing extraneous photo quote
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello everybody & @Parabat ... So I dug thru my paints and found the best option i had to repaint the color with. I used Tamiya Neutral grey and its definitely more visible and closer to the 109 photo Basilisk posted. Its not perfect but it is definitely better than what it was. dNMBfOG.jpg

From the sides ..

BGOiEQH.jpg

aUPGUIJ.jpg

iP8CG7w.jpg

Well thats it till at least thursday. Opinions anyone is it better or worse ? 

Dennis

• Like 2

I think thats a better option if your limited with the paint you have.

I've got both of those Vallejo colours you mentioned, I'll try a do a test spray to see how they come out, just looking at the RLM75 I have in the bottle and it's quite light when compared to the RLM74.

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone ... I managed a little time on the 262 yesterday. I was able to add the bare metal to the forward nacelles & painted the landing gear bays. QMuGKCn.jpg

HWW5sBF.jpg

0RztPkn.jpg

dN5kzwm.jpg

I will finish painting my stuka tomorrow. I can then decal this over the weekend. Have a good day and as usual questions ? comments ? or jokes ? 

Dennis

PS - I was able to paint the whiskers for the Radar just now.

QX6zA6D.jpg

• Like 2

Definitely on the home stretch now Dennis.  I've never tried using metal foil - it must have been a challenge on those compound curves!

Cliff

• Thanks 1

Hello @CliffB ... Yes ive done 5 complete planes in foil. Yet those intakes being so small and oddly shaped were the hardest yet. There are a lot of wrinkles in the leading edge of the inlet areas & a few other spots. The wrinkles in the main field of bare metal actually look ok. With all of the photos I've seen of the real article, the metal looks pretty banged up on them. If you ever decide to try foil ? Rob lyttle & myself do them quite often. So please ask if you need help or tips.  

Dennis

• Like 1

nice work Dennis, I too like the foil work.

Sorry I wasn't able to do the test work on the paint samples as I was away with work all week, will have a try tomorrow.

Hello @trickyrich ... Ive already had a bit of confirmation up in the Aviation WIP area. Oberleutnant is doing a 109G6 and used the same Vallejo’s and encountered the same problem i had. If you still want to do a test that would be interesting to see if yours are different from ours. Im thinking the paints got mislabelled at some point ?  

ok I just did the test spray and my results are as I would have expected.

RLM74%20RLM%2075.jpg

forget about the finish I was in a hurry and the paints about 2 years old and a wee bit think. The RLM 75 is as I expected, quite pale a grey in colour, the RLM 74 for me maybe a bit too dark, but a dark grey. It may settle down once it's dried completely. From your original photos, and forgetting about any colour cast from the lights/camera, then I'd have the say the RLM75 was the problem paint, way too dark for what it should have been. It may have been a bad batch of paint or a miss labelling of the bottle.

Despite how everyone raves sometimes about Vallejo paints, I'm not a big fan. I find they can be a bit difficult to work with and the finish is quite fragile. Their colours maybe quite accurate but once you throw in what cameras & computer monitors do to these colours accuracy sort of goes out the window in photos. I much rather stick with the bulletproof stuff from Tamiya & Mr Hobby, they are perfect for the job and are generally less likely to give issues......but that's just my opinion.

• Thanks 1

Sorry taking a delay for a few days. I pulled a stupid and put an X-Acto through my airbrush finger. It fell and i went to catch it just as it landed on my desk. Result ... X-Acto bounced up just as my hand came down. Sliced through my index finger on my right hand. 

Dennis