OOB Airfix 262 +++Finished+++

Ozzy

welcome aboard, and I think this maybe one of the popular choices for this build as well.

Have you got any particular scheme in mind or are you going for an OBB build?

Good luck with the build, hope it's an enjoyable one, look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

• Like 2

All reviews iv seen of this new 262 sing its praises and to quote the Hyperscale review "  The engineering on this kit is simply awesome and will result in a near effortless build"

Sounds relaxing with no Effort . Just dont fall asleep with the glue bottle in your hand :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mottlemaster said:

All reviews iv seen of this new 262 sing its praises and to quote the Hyperscale review "  The engineering on this kit is simply awesome and will result in a near effortless build"

Sounds relaxing with no Effort . Just dont fall asleep with the glue bottle in your hand :)

Thanks Alistair,

good to hear from you to.

she he looks a really nice build, I built the matchbox kit during that GB. This kits got a few more bits than that one, I'm currently building in @vppelt68 MTO GB. Not sure when I will start this one, hopefully I won't drop off.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Oh no, no, no, it'a a Britmodeller MTO GB - for modellers, by modellers - not in any way mine or any person at all! V-P

My apologies V-P,

it was more that if you hadn't put forward the idea, we may have never done the first one let alone a second.

thanks again for suggesting the MTO GB.

regards

Oz

• Thanks 1

On 01/05/2018 at 20:38, Ozzy said:

im hoping to get some tips off others building the Airfix kit.

Be very carefull with the nacelle fit.  I just couldn't gett mine to fit properly.  With my current builds I am removing the plastic section on the lower wing above the nacelle in the hope that will improve the fit.  The lower wing part then becomes three: a centre section and two outer wing sections.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Be very carefull with the nacelle fit.  I just couldn't gett mine to fit properly.  With my current builds I am removing the plastic section on the lower wing above the nacelle in the hope that will improve the fit.  The lower wing part then becomes three: a centre section and two outer wing sections.

Thanks for the heads up Enzo, I think I've seen a WIP in the aircraft section that mentioned the same problem. 

• 4 weeks later...

As im waiting for a base before continuing with my MTO build, thought I would make a start on my 262. I made a start on the cockpit, using the kits transfers for the instrument panel. The kit is literally flying together, however I have come up against the ill filling necelle problem Enzo had warned about. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

To get the engines to fit I cut the lower wing section with the green colour, they fitted a lot better after a little surgery.

image.jpg

Looks very nice once together.

image.jpg

Close up of the cockpit.

image.jpg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, trickyrich said:

the cockpit looks great, looks you sorted out the nacelle issues as well.

Thanks Rich,

i started my own blitz build, I've got the pilot to put in I'm going to have an open canopy for this one. The nacelles was an idea from @Enzo Matrix which worked out well, without hacking away at the engines. The way the upper an lower wing are designed there's no real need for the bit I cut off.

Looking good Ozzy

Hard to believe from looking at the cockpit that this is 1/72  . Top tip about how to get the engine nacelles to fit . If i get the two 262's i'm building done i may try one Airfixes newest .

Cheers

Alistair

• Like 1

On 9 June 2018 at 10:02, Mottlemaster said:

Looking good Ozzy

Hard to believe from looking at the cockpit that this is 1/72  . Top tip about how to get the engine nacelles to fit . If i get the two 262's i'm building done i may try one Airfixes newest .

Cheers

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,

its a cracking little kit, I was pleasantly surprised with the detail in the cockpit. Having built the Matchbox kit before Christmas, the engines fit on nicely with that bit removed. Even if you don't get your 2 projects completed, can you ever have to many 262's in a collection?

some pictures upper and lower, I found a picture on the net for the colour scheme. I used an AK set of paints RLM 70,71 upper and RLM 76

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5

19 hours ago, trickyrich said:

she looks great in her colours, well done o the paint job.

Thanks Rich,

im really happy with the coverage, it's a really good set of paint early years through to the end.

5 hours ago, Mottlemaster said:

Ozzy ,what are the two holes just behind the rear gear wells ? Doesnt the Airfix stand use a slot ?

Hi Alistair,

its says in the instructions it's for a stand, as you said I thought Airfix stands were slotted. I know @PhantomBigStu cut a slot in his kit, I keep meaning to ask in the model shop in town about them.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/28/2018 at 5:48 PM, Ozzy said:

To get the engines to fit I cut the lower wing section with the green colour, they fitted a lot better after a little surgery.

image.jpg

Looks very nice once together.

image.jpg

Close up of the cockpit.

image.jpg

Wish I'd seen this before I'd glued the engines on mine

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, neil5208 said:

Wish I'd seen this before I'd glued the engines on mine

I would have suffered the same fate if @Enzo Matrix hadn’t of tipped me off. It’s always an excuse to build another.

• Like 1

On 13 July 2018 at 12:49, neil5208 said:

I have filed a fair bit off and got a better fit but still needs filler

The wing moulding seems a common practice, I built the Matchbox kit last year fortunately the engines fitted well with no surgery.

im going to call this one finished.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Airfix and Matchbox kit together.

image.jpg

imageproxy.php?img=&key=8771052a4e1e8d84

imageproxy.php?img=&key=8771052a4e1e8d84

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

Nicely done, colours are good, neat build good job sir 

Thank Valkyrie,