Tiger I “131” in Tunisia* - 1/35 Dragon - update 23/07/18 - ##FINISHED##

Just read the thread, Stix, and this is splendid work. You have that knack of making superb results sound easy to achieve, and of course now I want to crack open one of my two AFV kits in the hope of emulating you. 

• Thanks 1

On 16/07/2018 at 21:30, Ozzy said:

Nice work Stix, those figures look fantastic. Have you got space for the cactus?

Cheers Ozzy - and I think I'm going to have to use the cacti somewhere - It's been included in the box!

On 16/07/2018 at 21:42, modelling minion said:

As Ozzy says those figures are superb, excellent work mate.

The finished Tiger looks awesome, this diorama is going to be so good!

Hi Craig and thank you. Not so much a diorama though - more a vignette! I've got too many builds on the go (or will have when the Eleventh hour GB gets underway tomorrow) to take too much longer on this project.

On 17/07/2018 at 07:36, amblypygid said:

Just read the thread, Stix, and this is splendid work. You have that knack of making superb results sound easy to achieve, and of course now I want to crack open one of my two AFV kits in the hope of emulating you. 

Thank you very much amblypygid - you are far too kind. Be warned though - once you've built one AFV it's hard not to want to build another....then another.......and another........... Ask me how I know!

Over the past couple of evenings I have been doing a few bits and pieces on the base.

Two areas cut away for the tracks to sit into:

43474193782_a560842486_b.jpg

43474193212_4e95ef39f2_b.jpg

Test fit with '131':

43521830781_f93f7246c7_b.jpg

And with some filler on:

43521830591_f43eaf2dd2_b.jpg

Another test fit with '131':

43521830321_f7b907678e_b.jpg

Need to get some paint on this next.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 5

On 7/16/2018 at 5:08 PM, PlaStix said:

41622630840_aee9f71320_b.jpg

They even looked good even before painting and now they look even better, even though they aren't even finished even.

Great poses, characterful faces and pretty decent hands.

Looking forward to seeing the diorama finished.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

On 20/07/2018 at 16:09, Badder said:

Looking forward to seeing the diorama finished.

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder and thank you, as always, for your very kind comments.

It is now finished - I got the base completed and the figures attached on Saturday. You can see the results in the Gallery as well as in the Armour RFI and Diorama RFI sections:

Gallery: Here

Armour RFI: Here

Diorama RFI: Here

A couple of photos here:

43504889392_3eb6f107d0_b.jpg

42646810165_e098fbcbe7_b.jpg

43567405671_d8f3174e11_b.jpg

Thank you to everyone who took the time to comment and offer advice in my thread - I thoroughly enjoyed building this 1/35 Tiger 1 so it probably won't be long before I build another!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 7

Fantastic job Stix,

The effect from your dry brushing of the base, really brings the ground to life. I like how you’ve incorporated the cacti into the scene.:goodjob:

• Thanks 1

On 7/16/2018 at 5:08 PM, PlaStix said:

Yesterday I decided to concentrate on moving this project forward. The actual Tiger 1 is now in itself complete - with added aerial - and I have done a little more weathering - although more of the latter may be added once I see how the display base turns out.

Just one photo of how it looks at present - I have taken loads but I will save them for the RFI section and Gallery:

42714768074_12cba65a25_b.jpg

I have cut out the base shape from 4mm MDF - I'm doing it in a similar fashion to the one I did for my recent Sherman:

43382834182_6b165754bf_b.jpg

....and a photo of '131' plonked on it:

29559807458_621880a1f2_b.jpg

As I usually do, I will cut the areas for the tracks into the top to make it look like the weight of the tank is settling it into the surface.

I have started painting the figures but I still need to do some of the detail work:

41622630840_aee9f71320_b.jpg

More later this week.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Great work Stix,

Those crew guys look fantastic. I envy you your figure painting skills. 

All the best Greg 😉

• Thanks 1

epic.  how did you get the paint like that without an airbrush?!?!  may sound really rivet counter-ish but i didn't think cacti grew in the Sahara?  don't get me wrong it is the best tiger dio i have ever seen.  brush painting to a new degree.  have you ever use rattle cans or do you not bother?

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all. I do apologise. Since my last post in this thread I have been busy in other GBs and neglected to look here. Thank you for taking the time to comment.

On 23/07/2018 at 13:55, Ozzy said:

Fantastic job Stix,

The effect from your dry brushing of the base, really brings the ground to life. I like how you’ve incorporated the cacti into the scene.:goodjob:

Hi Ozzy. Hope you are keeping well. Thank you for your comments including about the base. As I tend to do them quite quickly I sort of have a formula now for making them.

On 23/07/2018 at 17:40, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

:worthy: Another Great build Stix ! Looking forward to seeing your P-47 in the Paint stage. 

Hi Corsairfoxfouruncle and thank you. By the time I have got around to replying I have already finished the P-47. Sorry I took so long!

On 23/07/2018 at 20:28, GREG DESTEC said:

Great work Stix,

Those crew guys look fantastic. I envy you your figure painting skills. 

All the best Greg 😉

Hi Greg and thank you. You are very kind as always! :thumbsup:

On 23/07/2018 at 21:09, delta7 said:

really nice , well done !!

Hi delta7 and thank you for you comments.

On 23/07/2018 at 21:44, modelling minion said:

This has been yet another Stix masterclass from start to finish.

The finished vignette looks fantastic and extremely realistic, and I'm really pleased to see the cacti on there!

Hi Craig and thank you - as always you are too kind. Well Dragon provided the cacti so it would have been rude not to use them - on the other hand, the way Dragon release their kits, I still have a couple hundred spare parts for the spares box with this kit - so the cacti could have been used for another project!

On 25/07/2018 at 07:41, CliffB said:

Another beauty, Stix.  Congratulations!

Thank you very much Cliff! :thumbsup:

On 26/07/2018 at 17:15, Ted said:

Really great groundwork, and the figures are perfect for the scene.

Thank you Ted - that is very kind of you to say.

On 27/07/2018 at 08:19, SA80A2AR said:

epic.  how did you get the paint like that without an airbrush?!?!  may sound really rivet counter-ish but i didn't think cacti grew in the Sahara?  don't get me wrong it is the best tiger dio i have ever seen.  brush painting to a new degree.  have you ever use rattle cans or do you not bother?

Hi SA80A2AR and thank you for your comments and questions. With regards my painting - I basically learnt to paint the way I do simply because I don't have an airbrush and wanted to be able to create some effects similar to models I saw on places like Britmodeller. I spent quite a bit of time watching painting tutorial videos on YouTube and practicing until I got a way of working that works for me. It's a bit of a mix of ideas but if you check out my painting video (link in my signature at the bottom of my posts) you can see how I get the finish I do with flat brushes.

With regards the cacti - I think it's actually supposed to be a 'prickly pear' and, according to online sources, it was/is very common in Tunisia. I'm not claiming I know for sure they were anywhere near where '131' was knocked out but Dragon provided them so I thought I would use them.

I do use Humbrol's rattlecan matt varnish on all my aircraft builds (like my current P-47 build) but these days I have to spray when the weather is good - the shed where I used to spray my varnish is full of 'stuff'! - don't ask! In the past I have used Humbrol spray can paints - once on a large build - AFV's Centurion and for a Blitzbuild project where I hadn't got time to paint the way I usually do. I'm never very happy using spray cans as I have messed up finished models in the past using them.

On 27/07/2018 at 20:23, Ted said:

This shot looks like an album cover.

Good point - it certainly could be! Now we just need a name for the band!

On 25/09/2018 at 22:33, J.P. said:

For the life of me I can NOT believe that's brush painted...fess up, you're just leaving the 'air' word off when you say you've brush painted it. I think we need a video tutorial from you sir. 🙂

Hi J.P. and thank you very much for your comments - your email did make me smile. As it happens, I do get asked a lot how I paint the way I do so I did actually make a video. It can be found by clicking on the link at the bottom of my signature at the bottom of my posts. If you are on certain mobile devices then the signature may not be visible - if you cannot see it drop me a PM and I will reply with the link.

Thank you all again for taking the time to comment and I do apologise for taking so long to reply.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 2