Tiger I “131” in Tunisia* - 1/35 Dragon - update 23/07/18 - ##FINISHED##

Really looking forward to this GB and the chance to build my first 1/35 Tiger I. And I figured, because this is my first 1/35 Tiger I, I ought to build the famous '131' Tiger I that was captured in North Africa. 

More details can be found here on Wikipedia, but here is a brief introduction from that page:

It was shipped to Tunisia between 12 March and 16 April 1943. The tank was assigned to No. 3 Platoon in No. 1 Company of the 504th Schwere Heerespanzerabteilung during the North African Campaign. It was given the turret number 131 by which it Is now very well known and is now at The Tank Museum in Bovington. It is currently the only operational Tiger I in existence.

The Germans were aware that the Allies were preparing a major push towards Tunis and so set up an attack on the night of 20th April 1943. Four points were attacked simultaneously, including a pass on the north side of a hill called Djebel Djaffa*. Two Tigers and several other Panzers advanced through this pass before dawn, and were gradually driven back during the day. Tiger 131 was hit by three shots from British Churchill tanks of A Squadron, 4 Troop of the 48th Royal Tank Regiment. A solid shot hit the Tiger's gun barrel and ricocheted into its turret ring, jamming its traverse, wounding the driver and front gunner and destroying the radio. A second shot hit the turret lifting lug, disabling the gun's elevation device. The third shot hit the loader's hatch, deflecting fragments into the turret. The German crew bailed out, taking their wounded with them and leaving the knocked-out (but still drivable and largely intact) tank behind. Their identity and fate are unknown. The tank was secured by the British as they captured Djebel Djaffa hill. *

Photo after 131 had been captured:

41809465001_06b561576e_b.jpg

The photo is from http://ww2live.com/en/content/world-war-2-28-stunning-images-german-tanks-knocked-out-abandoned-and-captured-tunisa. I can remove this photo if there are any problems with having it here.

The kit I'm going to use:

40873876885_b1102337cf_b.jpg

Some details from the back of the box:

40873876435_12d0e02b6f_b.jpg

I'm hoping to make a start over the Bank Holiday weekend but I also need to finish the Hurricane I'm building in the Hawker Siddeley GB.

I've also got some figures to go with it so a small vignette might be a possibility. Can't wait to get started.

Kind regards,

Stix

* Edit 11/07/18 - Djebel Djaffa hill - this location may now not be accurate  More information can be found here: 

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 18

On 30/04/2018 at 21:09, modelling minion said:

Should be another good build to watch Stix, mind if I tag along?

Not at all! Thank you. Hope it doesn't disappoint!

On 30/04/2018 at 21:11, Ozzy said:

Nice one Stix, I've been wanting to see how the Tunisian Tiger builds. :popcorn::popcorn:

I think that this is the kit the David Byrden helped with so it should be fairly accurate. I have his tiger1.info webpage on hand already and it suggests only a couple of minor alterations.

On 30/04/2018 at 21:50, vppelt68 said:

Can't get anything heavier in this GB Stix, this is The Heaviest one! Welcome and enjoy the build like we all do :popcorn:V-P

Absolutely and thank you!

On 30/04/2018 at 23:06, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

:popcorn: Yep a PlaStix build im in. 

Thank you! I can't wait to get started.

On 02/05/2018 at 09:48, stevej60 said:

Can't beat the tiger for brutal good look's Stix,I'll pop along to check progress.

Yeah it was a bit of a beast. Cheers Steve.

I'll get the sprues washed in warm soapy water in the morning and hopefully make a start over the weekend. 

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 2

Been spending my modelling time this weekend getting my Hurricane build closer to the finish line. I did, however, wash the sprues this morning and took a few photos.

There are a lot of parts in this one!!:

41923771241_e65d1c0e12_b.jpg

Not all of them get used though as can be seen by the number of blue (not used) parts in the parts diagram in the instructions:

41923784381_5877dc62df_b.jpg

The detail on the parts looks nice:

41879399542_04dc3c86e7_b.jpg

40116340740_4f5cc49395_b.jpg

Even the DS tracks look well detailed and have hollow guide horns:

40116339210_6d9d5456c3_b.jpg

The box includes some clear parts:

41923772361_281d2f3b91_b.jpg

Some photoetch:

41879394392_aa3acb60d9_b.jpg

Decals:

41879397902_b5fcbefa54_b.jpg

.....and some cacti made in DS!:

41879396202_3b75be1425_b.jpg

Hope to get started soon.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 6

With that amount of parts it will keep you out of mischief for a while, I've not laid them all out before like that. It's only when you do that your realise how many bits you get. 

• Thanks 1

On 06/05/2018 at 15:48, Ozzy said:

With that amount of parts it will keep you out of mischief for a while, I've not laid them all out before like that. It's only when you do that your realise how many bits you get. 

Yeah there is a lot - and I'm finding there's a lot to sort through when looking for a specific sprue!! 

On 06/05/2018 at 21:25, modelling minion said:

An excellent looking kit Stix, lots of great details.

The cacti are my favourite and I look forward to seeing them on your diorama.

It does seem to be nicely done kit and mostly accurate out of the box, which is nice. And I agree - there's got to be a bit of a diorama to make sure the cacti get used!

I did make a start over the weekend. First jobs were removing bits and drilling holes in the rear part of the hull - before:

41059492855_d654371712_b.jpg

After:

40151841850_89006d0174_b.jpg

It wasn't long before I was gluing the main parts for the hull together:

40151860590_38e535fe28_b.jpg

41059520005_8ab632207b_b.jpg

Including tidying up and gluing in place all the torsion bars which will never be seen!:

40151858420_000e6cb664_b.jpg

It does look to be a very nicely detailed kit - a lot of this detail will hardly be visible - which is a shame:

28087473918_960bf417a1_b.jpg

40151883950_1555c30dbf_b.jpg

As I brush paint I don't tend to glue anything on to the hulls of tanks which will get in the way of me painting and doing the intial weathering effects.

I didn't get as much done on this project as I thought I would as I am still finishing off my Hurricane build.

More next weekend.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 8

13 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Yeah there is a lot - and I'm finding there's a lot to sort through when looking for a specific sprue!! 

I've never had to deal with that many sprues, but I found it a chore having to find parts on half that amount. Might I suggest a tip which proved handy for me, and that is to stick some labels on the sprues, or dab a spot of paint on each and colour code them all??

BTW, those tracks look smart!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

Do you mind if I watch this please Mr Plastix,this is one tank I know when I see one.

My good friend Miggers has a great RC one that I've seen him driving,I'n not sure that it's your one here,but it is

painted in desert colours and looks brilliant when he drives it in his garden.

• Thanks 1

Having had the pleasure of seeing the real beast up close when she was being refurbished, and again more recently, I'm looking forward to seeing how this comes together. I had planned a '131'  build myself, but wisely decided to go smaller! 

Looking good so far 👍

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Badder said:

I've never had to deal with that many sprues, but I found it a chore having to find parts on half that amount. Might I suggest a tip which proved handy for me, and that is to stick some labels on the sprues, or dab a spot of paint on each and colour code them all??

BTW, those tracks look smart!

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder. That's a good idea. I will get some masking tape out at the weekend and put some bigger sprue letters on. It doesn't help that Dragon re-use sprues from other kits so there are sometimes two different 'C' sprues, etc. I find a sprue with the letter I'm looking for but the part I want isn't there! Then I remember to check the parts diagram and have to look for the other C sprue! The tracks do look okay. My only concern is how they will look around the sprocket and idler - there won't be that seperate link look.

I was also pleased to see that you are thinking of taking part in this GB too. Which kit are you thinking of using for your Tiger 1? We can can have our own Tiger 1 buddy build within the GB!

17 hours ago, Kenny Stevens said:

Do you mind if I watch this please Mr Plastix,this is one tank I know when I see one.

My good friend Miggers has a great RC one that I've seen him driving,I'n not sure that it's your one here,but it is

painted in desert colours and looks brilliant when he drives it in his garden.

Hi Kenny. Don't mind at all - the more the merrier. You are correct - this is a pretty famous tank.

How is Miggers? Hope he is keeping well. He was very helpful with a 1:48 Revell (ICM Molds) Spitfire Mk.XVI build I did a few years back and other builds. Please pass on my regards when you see him next.

15 hours ago, NotDaMama said:

Having had the pleasure of seeing the real beast up close when she was being refurbished, and again more recently, I'm looking forward to seeing how this comes together. I had planned a '131'  build myself, but wisely decided to go smaller! 

Looking good so far 👍

Hi NotDaMama - I am very envious! As yet I haven't been to Bovington but hope to go one day. And to see it while it was being refurbished must have benn fascinating. I have made a 1/48 version of 131 but picked up this Dragon kit a while back and thought it would be a good project for this GB. Are you going to build your 131 here in this GB or elsewhere? I will watch out for when you start. It would be good to see it in this GB.

Kind regards,

Stix 

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Kenny. Don't mind at all - the more the merrier. You are correct - this is a pretty famous tank.

How is Miggers? Hope he is keeping well. He was very helpful with a 1:48 Revell (ICM Molds) Spitfire Mk.XVI build I did a few years back and other builds. Please pass on my regards when you see him next.

Kind regards,

Stix 

Thanks Stix.

I sure will pass on your regards,he was certainly ok at the weekend when he asked me to ask one of you guys on here(Fritag)about

RAF Jaguars(he reckons Fritag used to fly them)and yes,he certainly knows his spitfires.

Could you link me to that one that he helped you with please,I'd like a look at it.

Cheers,Ken.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Kenny Stevens said:

Thanks Stix.

I sure will pass on your regards,he was certainly ok at the weekend when he asked me to ask one of you guys on here(Fritag)about

RAF Jaguars(he reckons Fritag used to fly them)and yes,he certainly knows his spitfires.

Could you link me to that one that he helped you with please,I'd like a look at it.

Cheers,Ken.

Hi Ken. No problem - the WIP can be found here:

The final result can be found here:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234969553-another-148-revell-icm-mkxvi-spitfire-diorama-bw-photos-added/

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1

Thanks for that Stix.

That really is one super Spitfire,having seen some of Miggers planes,I can tell you that is something exactly like he does.

It sounds from reading through your build log,he really helped you and the other guy along a lot with all his information and links,typical Miggers.

When you ask him for help with something he knows about he goes to town and really looks after you.

When I get a chance,I'll message you about how I know Miggers and his family background(a lot of "military" and aviation).

If your current tank build up will end up like that plane then it'll be super too.

Cheers,Ken.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Kenny Stevens said:

Thanks for that Stix.

That really is one super Spitfire,having seen some of Miggers planes,I can tell you that is something exactly like he does.

It sounds from reading through your build log,he really helped you and the other guy along a lot with all his information and links,typical Miggers.

When you ask him for help with something he knows about he goes to town and really looks after you.

When I get a chance,I'll message you about how I know Miggers and his family background(a lot of "military" and aviation).

If your current tank build up will end up like that plane then it'll be super too.

Cheers,Ken.

No problem Kenny. I doubt Dreamcatcher's build nor mine would have turned out as well as they did without Miggers' help, information and support. He was a crucial part of what was a most enjoyable modelling experience. Thank you for your reply.

Hope you have a good evening.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

I would love to build a Tiger, on the list, and like watching your work. I always get the Tiger Tank theme tune from Kelly’s Heroes or Inglorious Bstrds movies in my head when I open these threads....

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Badder. That's a good idea. I will get some masking tape out at the weekend and put some bigger sprue letters on. It doesn't help that Dragon re-use sprues from other kits so there are sometimes two different 'C' sprues, etc. I find a sprue with the letter I'm looking for but the part I want isn't there! Then I remember to check the parts diagram and have to look for the other C sprue! The tracks do look okay. My only concern is how they will look around the sprocket and idler - there won't be that seperate link look.

I was also pleased to see that you are thinking of taking part in this GB too. Which kit are you thinking of using for your Tiger 1? We can can have our own Tiger 1 buddy build within the GB!

Hi Stix,

I came across Dragon's 'Different sprues with the same letter-designation problem' when I built that StuG III in winter camo. Not only did it have 2 different sprues labelled 'C' and t 2 different sprues labelled  'D', but there were some little areas on some sprues which had their own letters. To clarifty, a srue marked 'E' had a little corner with parts marked 'F'. For a long while I thought the kit was missing a whole sprue!

As for your Dragon tracks, they look a lot better than the Tamiya ones!

And talking of my Tiger I, initial, I 've hit a snag. The kit depicts the Tiger in 4 options... 2 for the Russian front, 1 for the European theatre and 1 for North Africa... and... you guessed it... tank number 131.

I suppose I could research and bodge a different tank number, but the thing I came to realise is that these North African Tigers were the least detailed/interesting/equiped, of all the Tigers, in terms of parts, camo, markings, equipment etc and are in fact a bit plain and dare I say, boring?

Taking that all into account I decided to drop the Tiger idea, save it for a cold winter's day on the Russian front, and have a look through my stash and see what I could do instead.

I have the 8 tonne semitrack and 88 gun which would be viable, only I bought them separately and the figures which came with each are not suitable for North Africa. Potty. And actually, with the amount of parts involved there's no way I could finish them all in a year let alone a few months. So no go with that either.

I do have a Universal Carrier that would do.... it comes with 2 N.Africa figures, but they aren't particularly inspiring.....oh hang on... I think the other UC I built also ahd N.Africa figures as an option. They may or may not be different. I could see if I can chop them up and make something better....

If not, I may have to fork out on a LRDG chevy....

Rearguards,

Badder

So, I

• Like 2

21 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi NotDaMama - I am very envious! As yet I haven't been to Bovington but hope to go one day. And to see it while it was being refurbished must have benn fascinating. I have made a 1/48 version of 131 but picked up this Dragon kit a while back and thought it would be a good project for this GB. Are you going to build your 131 here in this GB or elsewhere? I will watch out for when you start. It would be good to see it in this GB.

It's definitely an experience seeing 131 run, video doesn't do it justice! Seeing her disassembled you got a real feeling for just how solid a vehicle they created. Unfortunately it was before digital, so no photos :doh:

I had the chance to pick up this Dragon kit but funds led to me getting the Tamiya early instead, so I'm watching with interest how this goes together. I plan to build my Tiger for this GB only if I get the Panzer III H done first. Lovely Dragon kit, lots of detail, far fewer wheels!! I'll have the build thread up when my lad finally permits me to use my own PC...

19 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Stix,

I came across Dragon's 'Different sprues with the same letter-designation problem' when I built that StuG III in winter camo. Not only did it have 2 different sprues labelled 'C' and t 2 different sprues labelled  'D', but there were some little areas on some sprues which had their own letters. To clarifty, a srue marked 'E' had a little corner with parts marked 'F'. For a long while I thought the kit was missing a whole sprue!

As for your Dragon tracks, they look a lot better than the Tamiya ones!

And talking of my Tiger I, initial, I 've hit a snag. The kit depicts the Tiger in 4 options... 2 for the Russian front, 1 for the European theatre and 1 for North Africa... and... you guessed it... tank number 131.

I suppose I could research and bodge a different tank number, but the thing I came to realise is that these North African Tigers were the least detailed/interesting/equiped, of all the Tigers, in terms of parts, camo, markings, equipment etc and are in fact a bit plain and dare I say, boring?

Taking that all into account I decided to drop the Tiger idea, save it for a cold winter's day on the Russian front, and have a look through my stash and see what I could do instead.

I have the 8 tonne semitrack and 88 gun which would be viable, only I bought them separately and the figures which came with each are not suitable for North Africa. Potty. And actually, with the amount of parts involved there's no way I could finish them all in a year let alone a few months. So no go with that either.

I do have a Universal Carrier that would do.... it comes with 2 N.Africa figures, but they aren't particularly inspiring.....oh hang on... I think the other UC I built also ahd N.Africa figures as an option. They may or may not be different. I could see if I can chop them up and make something better....

If not, I may have to fork out on a LRDG chevy....

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder. Glad it's not just me that has difficulties with their sprues! I don't think it would matter if there were more than one 131, but I do understand what you mean. There are not as many opportunities for your super detailing skills with Tigers at that point in their history. Whatever you decide to build I will be interested to see it in progress. 

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

I would love to build a Tiger, on the list, and like watching your work. I always get the Tiger Tank theme tune from Kelly’s Heroes or Inglorious Bstrds movies in my head when I open these threads....

Hi Valkyrie. You must have a go at a Tiger kit at some point! They were/are great tanks and make interesting subjects for kit builds. I can recommend any of the 1/48/Tamiya Tiger 1s as a starting kit if you want to dip your toe in the water. They are well detailed kits and very straight forward to make. I will watch out for your possible Tiger build in future........possibly later in this GB?

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

35 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Valkyrie. You must have a go at a Tiger kit at some point! They were/are great tanks and make interesting subjects for kit builds. I can recommend any of the 1/48/Tamiya Tiger 1s as a starting kit if you want to dip your toe in the water. They are well detailed kits and very straight forward to make. I will watch out for your possible Tiger build in future........possibly later in this GB?

Kind regards,

Stix

Valkyrie,

below maybe a perfect excuse for a Tiger build, me and Stix are hosting a build next year.

• Like 3