Me.262A-2/U2 Almost OOB 1:48

Mike

Not too bad really - a bit more work on sorting out the windscreen join, and once that's done I can reinstate the panel line & rivets in front of it.  :)

Had a bit of a per adua catastrophe this avo as I was spot priming some adjustments I'd made to the panel lines, and the thing slipped through my daft, unreliable fingers onto the workshop floor.  One half of the nose glazing went one way, the other another.  Bugger! :raincloud:  That's put another delay in the build, while I source a new part via their UK Importers, Creative Models.  On the upside, I know them well, so I know who to talk to :)

Ja know what? @Creative Models Ltd are flippin' AWESOME :inlove: I emailed them yesterday asking how to get the part I broke, and this morning I got a little box with the relevant sprue inside. :worthy:

Thanks SO much guys! :clap:We're back on track!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, trickyrich said:

That’s great service.

The best. :yes:

She's wallowing in Klear at the moment (the part, not Clair), but I made the mistake of agitating it :doh: Gotta leave it now for all those annoying bubbles to pop, then I'll remove it, mask it back up and get some painting done after a little more buffing of the touch-ups.  Still chance for me to finish, unless I get distracted by that Su-34 I reviewed the other day :owww:

• Like 2

Step away form the Su-34!! :fight:    Else I’ll probably end up reading the review and buying one of those as well. :D

I partially blame you for the purchase of the AMK MiG-31.....gosh it’s a lovely model and I so want to build it. Now I have to get rid of my Collect-Aire MiG-31, mostly for space reasons.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've been away doing other site related stuff for a couple of weeks now, and have the prospect of quite a bit more work to keep the forum on a level keel, so I've not been too attentive to this model during that period :blush: I'm hoping to get the lower painted tomorrow, as I'll be able to get the aircon on and normalise the temperature a bit, which seems to have taken a turn toward the higher side again, at around 27.5oc as I type this.  Hopefully I've not lost any parts in the meantime :unsure:

In my garden it is now 33 degrees. Luckily I have a airco in my shed. Otherwise it wouldn't be possible to paint anything. 

I hope to see her painted Mike. Are you going for a one color camo? Or what does the instructions say.I did mine in a two camo of 81 and 82, but more on the green side.If you know what I mean. 

Cheers, 

33 minutes ago, Arniec said:

Are you going for a one color camo? Or what does the instructions say.

I've just been squinting at the painting guide, and there are two options from the box.  Of those I fancy V484, as the mottle and demarkations should be easier to do without masking.  So that's RLM 82/83 over 76.  Splinter on the wings. elevators and over the cockpit area, the mottle everywhere else.  Seems easy enough - in principal! :lol:

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

After quite a hiatus from doing any modelling over the summer and a failure to complete this in time for the end of the recent GB, I've finally managed to do a bit today, and got the RLM76 on the underside of the airframe, and I even remembered to paint the gear bay covers too! :shocked:

It's Gunze Aqueous, with a few drops of white added to the remains of the cup to noodle over some colour modulation.  Nothing too extreme, as these were test aircraft and not subjected to rigours of combat.

paint1.jpg

paint2.jpg

I've yet to decide which of the kit decal options I'm going for, but as they're both the same basic colour I'll have to just work out how to fade the splinter into mottling without it looking too ugly :hmmm:

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

You can also go the Luft 46 route if none of the camouflage scheme options please you.

TBH I couldn't be bothered deviating from the norm :)

• Haha 1

Finally got round to putting on the first top colour yesterday, and finished off modulating the colour a little bit earlier.  A bit of Gunze RLM82, followed up with a lightened shade just to add a bit of tonal variety.  I'm going to have to leave it to cure a bit, for fear of lifting the still "green" green paint.  I'd better find where I'd put all the bits for the wagon, I suppose :hmmm:

paint3.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to leave the green to cure and crack on with the T-stoff tanker that's pulling the 262 in the pic I linked to earlier, and before I knew it, about a week has gone by. :blink:  That's the Tamiya Opel Blitz, converted to the tanker variant using the SBS Model conversion set for the Italeri kit, which you'll be pleased to know fits pretty well.  I've also got the DefModel wheels for the kit, and this is how it stands after a coat of dunkelgelb, a wash, filter and matt coat.  I also had to dust off my figure painting skills such as they are, and I'm glad he's going to be hidden away in the cab! :blush:

tanker2.jpg

I'm working on bringing together the rest of the chassis and body, after which I can start weathering it properly with a dust wash, chipping and such.  Then I've got to build a new towing arm, as it's supposed to be 100% tubular metal, not partially.  I'll probably bend & cut some brass for that :)

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Gorby said:

They both look good so far.

It's a shame the nazis didn't build them this slow. They would only have got two 262's operational. :giggle:

:fight:

• Haha 2

It's nice to see that all that effort of stripping the original paint off the figure and repainting it as above was a total waste of time :doh: I might as well just have painted it black! :cwl:

I got everything put together soon after the last photo, and began doing a bit of weathering, cutting some new masks to protect the windscreen wiper area, and giving it a light dust coat of Tamiya Tan, then adding bits and bobs of grot here and there.  You might have noticed that I painted one of the rear wheels panzer grey, mainly because the picture I have of this scene shows it being dark.  On the basis that these were usually grey of dark yellow, I made a wild guess as to the colour :hmmm: A lot of these get painted with tendrils of green camo across them (probably because it looks good and makes a nice firebomb if you hit it with anything explodey), but again the picture didn't show it.  Some things I'm not going to replicate from the original scene is the tarp over the canopy, the rest of the figures (there's a fireman hanging off the truck and a guy in the cockpit), and the lack of engine nacelle cowling on the port motor.  I'd have liked to get closer to the original in an ideal world, but life is too short, and if I wanted to finish this before the year is out, some compromises have to be made.

tanker3.jpg

tanker4.jpg

I've got to make the access ladder that hangs off the port side of the tanker, as this wasn't included in the conversion, and also the new towing arm, as the one I made has some flat elements that are actually tubular.  I'm going to use brass tube for strength, but I'm waiting on a new heat-proof panel to solder them on, so I can pin them in place to get a more accurate join.  I've still got to put the camo on the 262, but I might do that this evening :)

• Like 3

Finally got a bit of the darker green on the 'pyane sometime in the last few days (I forget when), so here she is looking a bit splintery :)

paint4.jpg

There's a bit more to do before I can decal, but we're getting there slowly.  I did have a tiny dropsy moment with it the other day, knocking the nose glazing off (again), but this time it didn't shatter.  It did however split the lower seam on the nose and belly, so I had to re-glue, fill, sand and paint that before I could continue, although it wasn't that traumatic TBH :)

• Like 4