Lat 32* 05'N Long 23* 59'N Finished

Hi Ozzy. I really like the way you are staging your scene and - you are right - those trees do look impressive. Thank you for the link.:thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ozzy. I really like the way you are staging your scene and - you are right - those trees do look impressive. Thank you for the link.:thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

I found he does more than trees, hes got some nice Building  also. I'm looking forward to getting the base so I can start working on the ground work, I ordered a few more trees over the weekend to fill the front row. I may do some water lapping around to give the effect of being at the edge of the oasis.

• Like 1

Just a quick update, I've decided to turn the LRDG Chevrolet facing the other way to show off the radio. As I've made a standing figure tuning it in, I've also got some tubing for the masts. Looking at the kit part there are 2 masts approximately 15cm in height, so I'm having one at the rear and the other between the bumper at the front to form a dipole antenna. As if they are comunicating back to Cairo, my remaining trees should be waiting for me at work along with some hornet heads for the Commandos. Hopefully my base will be here this week to allow me to start sticking it all down.

• Like 3

A picture paints 1000 words, paint brushes away my trees have arived. This is the effect I'm trying to achieve, this is the first draft of my vision. I've got a couple left over so I may incorporate them next to the buildings? To make an archway effect.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Ozzy. That is looking good although I'm a bit concerned that too much of the scene is obscured by the lower trees. I realise the idea is to have it as though the viewer is looking in through the trees but, too me, a lot of your lovely work is going to be obscured somewhat.........just my :2c:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Now I've looked at this on a bigger screen, I was on my phone last night, I can see that Stix has a point, maybe some stunted shrub kind of things, there was probably not much underbrush, goats would have seen to that I'd guess.

Steve.

• Like 2

On 12 June 2018 at 20:22, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Ozzy .. Possible idea maybe a soldier with a pair of Binoculars on top of the taller building looking through the palm trees into the distance ? 

Thanks Dennis,

I'm may look at putting thing on the roofs as the locals would have used them for drying food etc as Kurfa was a fairly safe area a sentry would look out of place.

On 12 June 2018 at 20:34, stevehnz said:

Looking good, it sure works for me/ :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve,

On 12 June 2018 at 21:32, PlaStix said:

Hi Ozzy. That is looking good although I'm a bit concerned that too much of the scene is obscured by the lower trees. I realise the idea is to have it as though the viewer is looking in through the trees but, too me, a lot of your lovely work is going to be obscured somewhat.........just my :2c:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

i will test and adjust once I get the base, I can see what you mean about obscuring the main effort. I may be more random on my next go?

On 13 June 2018 at 04:56, stevehnz said:

Now I've looked at this on a bigger screen, I was on my phone last night, I can see that Stix has a point, maybe some stunted shrub kind of things, there was probably not much underbrush, goats would have seen to that I'd guess.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, it's a brave goat to go eating those leafs.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

here are my references, the two with the pause symbol are from a documentary on the SAS, the location is Egypt somewhere but gives you two aspects the third picture is from the book and allegally it's heading out of Kurfa. I think somthing in between all three is what I'm after.

• Like 3

I like the idea because you have to look long, hard and properly to see what's going on which makes the appreciation more. Plus it's like spying too, a moment in the conflict 

it's a brilliant idea and great work

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

I like the idea because you have to look long, hard and properly to see what's going on which makes the appreciation more. Plus it's like spying too, a moment in the conflict 

it's a brilliant idea and great work

Thanks Valkyrie,

youve hit the nail on the head, that's the effect I'm trying to achieve, I will need to work on my picture taking skills to get the most effective shots.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2018 at 5:59 AM, Ozzy said:

Thanks Steve, it's a brave goat to go eating those leafs.

Fair point, to be honest when I saw those photos I couldn't see that low growth being palatable to anything, even goats, so feel free to ignore me, I still like what I see. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Fair point, to be honest when I saw those photos I couldn't see that low growth being palatable to anything, even goats, so feel free to ignore me, I still like what I see. :)

Steve.

No worries Steve, my comment about a brave goat was more about the deadly creepy crawlys that hide in the undergrowth.🐐🕷️

• Like 2

My base turned up today, I've laid it all out and fits nicely. I got some pictures of the sort of shots I'm after, hopefully I can start on the ground work over the weekend.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Ozzy. I am pleased your base has turned up and I can see what you mean about what you are trying to achieve. I'm not totally convinced yet - to me, the trees still seem to obscure the view of your great models a bit too much but I will reserve judgement until it's further developed. The buildings certainly look good in those photos. Hope you have a great weekend! :thumbsup:
Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ozzy. I am pleased your base has turned up and I can see what you mean about what you are trying to achieve. I'm not totally convinced yet - to me, the trees still seem to obscure the view of your great models a bit too much but I will reserve judgement until it's further developed. The buildings certainly look good in those photos. Hope you have a great weekend! :thumbsup:
Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

once i get it on a turntable I will be able to get some pictures from other aspects, once I'm content with the vehicles weathered I will take some separate pictures away from the dioarama. I'm really pleased with the buildings, they don't look to bad in a mud colouring rather than whitewashed. I've got the grass to cut and hopefully some modelling time this weekend. Hope you and Mrs Stix have a good weekend too.

• Like 1

Ŵith the garden tended to, 

image.jpg

It's time to get the air drying clay out, I rolled a pack out folded the front over to give a bit of depth. Then took the spare tyres our and wheeled then up and down, these are to give a bit of interest to the track and would have been left at a soggier time of year. Insted of covering with sand I'm going to paint the base to give a more representative effect of desert tracks, I've left it bigger than I need to allow for shrinkage. It's currently sat outside drying with a book over the top to minimise warping.

image.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Nice work on the tyre tracks Ozzy! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

i hope i don't get to much shrinkage.

• Like 1

with the nice weather aiding drying times, I've started building up the ground work. I didn't get any shrinkage on my clay. I initially coloured the base Tamiya desert yellow XF 59 but found it a little dark, I then found a bottle of Vallejo Iraqui sand which gives a more realistic compacted sand colour. Having looked at some of my photos of desert roads I found them to have lose sand in areas. I have added some real Iraqui sand to the areas that aren't well trodden, I will paint these area later and then weather. Once I'm content with the track, I will add the remaining palms and a bit more sand.

image.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Ozzy. That looks brilliant. You really have captured the look of the groundwork and it ties in beautifully with the buildings and trees. Awesome work!

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ozzy. That looks brilliant. You really have captured the look of the groundwork and it ties in beautifully with the buildings and trees. Awesome work!

Kind regards,

Stix 

Thanks Stix,

im happy with the look, I airbrushed some Mig North African pigments over the trees and the track to blend it all together. I will make a start on weathering the vehicles tomorrow.

• Like 1

Ive done bits this week, weathered the trucks, sorted out the comunications for the LRDG truck and stated to gather figures to form a briefing party around a makeshift table.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5

That really is coming together well Ozzy. The vehicles, figures and your base and buildings look they are going to make for a very atmospheric dio. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

That really is coming together well Ozzy. The vehicles, figures and your base and buildings look they are going to make for a very atmospheric dio. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

yes it's coming together like an A-team plan, i should have my final figure set turn up next week ( My German chap).Then I will have the makings of a good joke.

• Like 1