Lat 32* 05'N Long 23* 59'N Finished

15 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Wow! You are really motoring on with this one! Looks great. Weathering works very well.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

i would like to get both vehicles started as Ive got two ideas for a diorama, with them both built I can workout the size of the base required. I will of course keep you all posted on both ideas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beppe said:

looks awesome !

Have you heard about operation Salam led by Lazlo Almassy ?

Thanks beppe,

ive just been reading about it on the net, the operation is mentioned in the book. Looks like the route was almost the same but in reverse.

I started on the second Chevrolet last night, I thought the CWT 15 fell together quickly. This ones going together just as easily, the wheels aren't glued down yet as I'm going to paint the hubs first.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Ozzy. You certainly are building these up quickly! Looks like another good looking vehicle in the making! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ozzy. You certainly are building these up quickly! Looks like another good looking vehicle in the making! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

they certainly are, I've not built anything with just wheels for a good few years now. They do say a change is good a a rest, the other reason for my speediness there are a few GB's I've signed up for running through the summer months.

• Like 1

Thought I would make a start on my buildings, they are made by fields of glory models. They are plaster kits, which got me thinking I didn't need a complete building. So took my saw and will be able to make 2 out of 1 kit, this is the taller of the pair.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Good idea about getting more from the building kit. Looking forward to seeing this come together.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stixs,

the he idea was two fold, one to save a bit of cash and the second was to reduce the ground space. Once I get the building constructed I can work on the display options, hopefully get a bit more done tomorrow. I should get around to my 262, before the Airfix GB starts.

3 hours ago, Ted said:

Have you been planning this diorama for a long time? Sure is fun to watch it develop.

thanks Ted,

having know this GB was coming up, as if buy magic the book on page 1 was on display what looked like whole book shop. As I thumbed the pages I thought I could produce an intresting diorama, as I looked for suitable kits Tamyia re-released the LRDG Chevrolet, then how was I going to display my work. I found this picture on the net and thought it was a good place to start, then I thought of the book mentioning about the commandos sleeping under trees. and waking up with dates and other thing that fell down over night. Which is me freestyling with buildings on one side a roadway with trees and bushes on the other side of the road with a bit of water lapping up fro the oasis.

image.jpg

once I've got the buildings together I will have a better idea on which one will display everything nicely.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Looking forward to seeing what you decide on. Those buildings look the part. 

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

me too, I will do some measurements for a base size tomorrow. I'm in a bit of a dilemma as I really like both ideas, I'm not limited by base size as Declan from Salisbury Model Center can get MDF base cut to order. i'm really happy with the buildings, looking at pictures of Kurfa the buildings weren't white washed they o'natural. So they will have more of a brown colour

image.jpg

so they will look somthing like this, in colour anyway.

• Like 1

I think I'm going for this display, the paint brushes are acting as trees for this picture. I like the depth the scene has and with the leaves will give nice cover to the track below. The base will measure 20cmx37cm.

image.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

There are some really good ideas here Ozzy.

The buildings look great and it is a great idea to make more from what you have.

This is going to look fantastic.

Thanks Craig,

these North African sets come as a complete building, so unless you've got the space for thing it's well worth taking a saw to them. I've found some very nice looking palm trees which look exactly what I'm looking for, just got to decide which ones to get.

• Like 1

The idea of looking at the scene through the trees sounds like it could be interesting. What trees are you thinking of using?

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

The idea of looking at the scene through the trees sounds like it could be interesting. What trees are you thinking of using?

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

i had a think about option 1 and thought I would be recreating someone else's build, so had a brain wave to use paint brushes to capture my vision. It's a bit late to change my mind I've ordered the base today, I found a chap in Bristol who makes a number of different sizes of palm tree. I will be using a number of trees and maybe a bit of water lapping up at the trees from the oasis? I'm also thinking about having the radio mast extended with one of the LRDG communicating back to Cairo.

• Like 1

I'll be interested to see the trees - I have used some Woodlands Scenics Palm trees before and they’re okay but not great. One problem is a big seam down the trunk and the palms themselves are fairly chunky plastic.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

I'll be interested to see the trees - I have used some Woodlands Scenics Palm trees before and they’re okay but not great. One problem is a big seam down the trunk and the palms themselves are fairly chunky plastic.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks for the heads up Stix, I've popped a link to the trees.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_productid=1231939714&rt=nc&_pmc=true&sl_ready=true&LH_ItemCondition=3&LH_BIN=1&_fosrp=1

• Like 2

I got a bit of colour on the buildings to see what they look like, I also took the opportunity to add some life to the proceedings. I used some figures out of the SAS set and I also found Dragons 8th army set, my plan for the 3 ton truck is to have the Commandos painting their truck with German recognition symbols, with the LRDG truck a briefing between Commandos, LRDG and the SiG. Just a couple more figure sets to get.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

The he first of my palm trees have turned up, I've also positioned my 8th Army figures to look as though they are busy on the truck. I've got a couple of LRDG chaps built to, just waiting for my base to turn up.

image.jpg

this is the effect I'm trying to get with the trees, a few days of sunshine and rain and I've got a jungle.

image.jpg

Photos wrong way around.

• Like 8

I like the way it's set up so we look through the screen of palm trees to see the diorama. Cool idea.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ted said:

I like the way it's set up so we look through the screen of palm trees to see the diorama. Cool idea.

Thanks Ted,

thats the idea ( hopefully it will workout that way), the chap who does the trees makes different size ones. This should give leafs at different heights, I also picked up some AK jungle leafs today at the Salisbury show for around the base of the trees.