Lat 32* 05'N Long 23* 59'N Finished

image.jpg

after reading this book I picked up in January, I had to build a little dioarama depicting a scene from the raid. 

image.jpg

a map of a he ground covered to reach the objective, the SAS were to take out a radio mast, the LRDG were to hit an airfield leaving the SiG and the Commandos to head to Tobruk to free the POWs from the cages and hold the harbour for the seaborne attack.

image.jpg

the kits.

chevrolet 15cwt italeri 

LRDG Chevrolet Tamiya 

fields Of Glory plaster buildings

SAS crew Dragon

• Like 13

11 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Great idea for a project Ozzy. Looking forward to seeing this come together. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, 

im going to use a little poetic license to depict a scene from Kurfa, the LRDG's desert HQ where everybody met up prior to the raid. I've got a few more figures sets to pick up, I'm able to depict both German troops ( the SiG, German speaking allied troops) and then Commandos and LRDG troops in the same scene.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Great idea Ozzy, I'm an LRDG fan of long standing, so I'll be keen to see what you can come up with on this, it's a great subject.

Steve.

Thanks Steve,

I've been champing at the bit to start this one, I've not built any wheeled desert vehicles before. I just hope my plan comes together, if you've got any pointers I'm all ears. There are a few photos in the book, I'm not sure if there all from the raid or a collection of various operations.

7 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Oh wonderful, look forward to this one! V-P

Thanks V-P,

i thought I would stay with the western desert theme, for this GB.

• Like 1

I:m not much help re vehicle modelling, having not done any since I got back to modelling. As far as an oasis scene is concerned, photos of Kufra show far bigger & more dispersed trees than I had imagined in my youth, not much help with a dio I know & not sure how best to go about one, though the vegetation close to a water hole might be denser. I've thought it most likely must become a representation rather than a replica of a situation like a meeting.

Steve.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Well looking forward to this one! 

Thanks Valkyrie, 

good to have you along.

21 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Excellent choice 👍

Thanks Dennis,

after reading the the book it was a no brainier.

20 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I:m not much help re vehicle modelling, having not done any since I got back to modelling. As far as an oasis scene is concerned, photos of Kufra show far bigger & more dispersed trees than I had imagined in my youth, not much help with a dio I know & not sure how best to go about one, though the vegetation close to a water hole might be denser. I've thought it most likely must become a representation rather than a replica of a situation like a meeting.

Steve.

Having looked on google Earth at Kufra today it's a fairly big town/city the airstrip is still there, I found some old pictures of the fort and some sounding building. It mentions in the book that after the journey through the desert they parked up for the night, when the Commandos awoke the next morning they were covered in dates. I've got a couple of ideas for the base.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Great idea Ozzy some great kit's there too!

Thanks Steve,

cant wait till Saturday to start.

• Haha 1

Ive been looking forward to starting the italeri Cwt 15, so this morning I made a start I don't normally build wheeled vehicles. The ones I have built have been a bit wonkie, so I took my time and got everything level.

image.jpg

image.jpg

the cab reminds me of an RB 44, they were a bouncy ride. The moulding is very nice considering it's been around for a good few years and boxed by a number of manufactures.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ted said:

Those CMP suspensions aren't easy to align, nicely done.

Thanks Ted,

there was a little sanding and jiggling to get a good fit.

7 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Great project Ozzy.  :coolio:

Thanks Sarge,

it should all come together nicely, like an A-Team plan.

12 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Good start Ozzy and you're right - it does look a nicely detailed kit.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

shes flying together, all things considered the detail is very nice. I've got no complaints apart from the thickness of the tarpaulin, I plan to scratch build a suitable replacement in the coming weeks.

image.jpg

image.jpg

ive not stuck anything down yet as this will help painting, I plan to do a bit of wear on the rear deck using the hairspray method.

• Like 5

Oh, I love the look of those trucks. I've built a few and they take me at least two weeks. :blink:

Very clean build, mine also usually have much more glue visible before I paint them. What figure is in the driver's seat? It can be a tight fit for most figures.

22 minutes ago, Ted said:

Oh, I love the look of those trucks. I've built a few and they take me at least two weeks. :blink:

Very clean build, mine also usually have much more glue visible before I paint them. What figure is in the driver's seat? It can be a tight fit for most figures.

Thanks Ted,

out of all the kits this is the one I've been looking forward to, I thend to squirt a splodg of glue and then dip the bits in. The figure is a Mini art chap from the British jeep crew, I've used a number of there figure kits and have no complaints. I do find they tend to fit nicely in most makes of kits.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Thanks Ted,

out of all the kits this is the one I've been looking forward to, I thend to squirt a splodg of glue and then dip the bits in. The figure is a Mini art chap from the British jeep crew, I've used a number of there figure kits and have no complaints. I do find they tend to fit nicely in most makes of kits.

Thanks Ozzy, I have that figure set, I'll have to remember next time I build a truck.

• Like 1

Thought I would make the most of the nice weather, with a bit of airbrushing I did a base coat of Tamiya Khaki drab XF -51 and Vallejo uk light stone for the desert overcoat. Due to the weather by the time I had finished spraying the light stone, the first bits were dry, with a bit of scrubbing I got there in the end. Before i I add the steering wheel I have to work out how I'm going to display it all. I've also got to finish off the seats and various knobs in the cab, a bit of weathering and job done.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 9