HMS Belfast - Airfix (bit of trial and error)

Here is my second model. It isn't brilliant and has a number of pieces missing (lost in the carpet - dissolved by the glue!!). I have learnt lots doing this model: useful thngs like not painting parts where they are going to be glued as the adhesive simply dissolves the paint and it is necessary t create a bit of a sticky mess with paint and glue to get stuff to stick. I painted everything before I started construction. I've noted that others only pain what they have to before sticking things together and that this contributes to the good finishes I see on here.

So with apologies to all the experts on this forum. Here is my poor effort - lets call it a training ship (TS Belfast :-))

IMAG0078

IMAG0082

IMAG0081

IMAG0080

IMAG0079

Edited by IanJohnB
trying to upload pictures!
  • Like 7

Well it looks good to me for your second! Ships are tough and take a certain order to build. Modeling in general takes a lot of practice and learning. I've been building for 52 years and I consider my stuff mediocre. Don't be too hard on yourself, we are our own hardest critics.

I looks great!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven't got a clue about boaty things, but due to the multitude of tiny parts, I have admiration for anyone who builds one.

It looks good to me and I'm sure you've learnt enough to make the next one even better.

• Thanks 1

Not at all bad if that's only your second model - certainly a lot better than my first BELFAST which was when the kit was first released back in the 70s and indeed I would argue a fair bit better than my most recent example which was the first kit I made when I returned to modelling 13 years ago after a 25 year lay off.

Whilst you are right about not applying adhesive over paint, sometimes it is difficult to avoid with ships as it is so much easier and you generally get a much better finish to paint the decks, for example, before all of the various fittings are added.  You can mitigate the adhesive damage by using either tiny amounts of cyano-acrylate (super glue) applied with a pin or an ultra thin liquid adhesive.

But don't be hard on yourself.  BELFAST is not the easiest kit in the world and you've done a good effort.

• Thanks 1

Not a bad effort, you have learned a lot so the next build will be better, modelling is a hard task master, if your build were mine i would be pleased with it. Although i know 'nowt' about floaty things.

ATB

Jim

• Thanks 1

Don't put yourself down. You've made a cracking job of the Belfast. For only a second model, I think it's superb. If my second model had only been half as good as this, I'd have been chuffed.

• Thanks 1

Nicely done!

Im about to tackle this kit as my first attempt at a ship. It will be a training kit for me, and going to give a go at waterlining it! If it looks anything like this ill be very happy!

• Like 1

Good work!

I absolutely love the Belfast and see her everyday when I walk over London Bridge