Galaxy C5-A

Linus

38 minutes ago, Linus said:

Hi folks,

can anyone tell me the external differences between the C5-A and C5-B.

Cheers Linus

I think nothing that would be visible externally; I have read that the B had uprated engines and avionics, strengthened wings, and improved undercart. Somebody who knows transports better can confirm or illuminate.

Mike

The main external difference between the A, B, and C model C-5 is the radio antenna under the nose of the aircraft.  The A model antenna looked like a shark fin.  I have one in my family room that was removed from an aircraft that we were doing the Avionics Modernization Program (AMP) mod on.  The B models had a rectangular antenna which was about the same height as the antenna on the A model, it just looked like a rectangle.  This antenna was replaced during AMP with a newer version on all A, B, and C models with one that looks like a square with a rod pointing out on each end.  It is about half the height of the old antennas.  The two C models, being modified from As, had the shark fin antenna prior to the AMP mod.  My avatar is from the Fuselage Station 506 disconnect from when we were doing the mod. 

Later,

Dave

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Linus said:

Hi guys,

a heartfelt thanks to all those who answered me, in particular to e8n2 for the meticulous technical information about the two variants.

Linus

You are most welcome!  You hang around the things long enough, you pick up stuff.  Never really liked working on the things when I was still on active duty, but made a lot of money doing mods on them after I retired.  I had two different stints with Lockheed Martin doing mods on them covering a bit over 6 1/2 years, and F.S. 506 (NOT an FS number for paint) was my home away from home for nearly all of it.  Now if they would just come up with another mod I would be right there again!

Later,

Dave

On 5/2/2018 at 7:28 AM, e8n2 said:

You are most welcome!  You hang around the things long enough, you pick up stuff.  Never really liked working on the things when I was still on active duty, but made a lot of money doing mods on them after I retired.  I had two different stints with Lockheed Martin doing mods on them covering a bit over 6 1/2 years, and F.S. 506 (NOT an FS number for paint) was my home away from home for nearly all of it.  Now if they would just come up with another mod I would be right there again!

Later,

Dave

Hi Dave,

what were your duties when you were in service, on what basis? I live near AB Aviano and I am part of the AAFG group. you can see our AAFG.IT website.

Thank you again for all, and if for you it is ok keep in touch.

Regards

Linus

I started out as a cop, Security, not Law Enforcement.  Security made sure nobody walked off with the bombs or the planes.  Then I went into radar ops including 3 years in northern Germany in a mobile radar unit.  At one time or another we tracked SR-71s and MiG 25Rs.  Later I went into aircraft maintenance and worked on SR-71s for a bit, in addition to KC-135s, U-2s, C-141s and C-5s.  Liked working on the Deuces (U-2s), KCs and C-141s the best.  I spent a total of 6 years overseas, 2 at the twin base complex of RAFs Bentwaters and Woodbridge, then later 3 years in Germany stationed on an Army post which no longer exists, and later a year in the Philippines.  Stateside I was at Beale and Travis, both in California, Offutt in Nebraska, Luke in Arizona, and Tyndall in Florida.

Later,

Dave

• Like 2

On 5/9/2018 at 4:59 AM, e8n2 said:

I started out as a cop, Security, not Law Enforcement.  Security made sure nobody walked off with the bombs or the planes.  Then I went into radar ops including 3 years in northern Germany in a mobile radar unit.  At one time or another we tracked SR-71s and MiG 25Rs.  Later I went into aircraft maintenance and worked on SR-71s for a bit, in addition to KC-135s, U-2s, C-141s and C-5s.  Liked working on the Deuces (U-2s), KCs and C-141s the best.  I spent a total of 6 years overseas, 2 at the twin base complex of RAFs Bentwaters and Woodbridge, then later 3 years in Germany stationed on an Army post which no longer exists, and later a year in the Philippines.  Stateside I was at Beale and Travis, both in California, Offutt in Nebraska, Luke in Arizona, and Tyndall in Florida.

Later,

Dave

Hi my friend,

Well you had an interesting career,I wanted to serve in aeronautics A.F., but my region was hit by an earthquake (6 may 1976), so I ventured into the fire department, to help the people of my region (1 year), then I went back to work and I volunteered as a volunteer in the reservists (6 year), where you get the sniper qualification, then I was out with the years to become part of the air force, so I went back to modeling......and shooting instructor in a polygon. But the passion for the planes is in me!!!

Cheers

Linus

7 hours ago, Linus said:

Hi my friend,

Well you had an interesting career,I wanted to serve in aeronautics A.F., but my region was hit by an earthquake (6 may 1976), so I ventured into the fire department, to help the people of my region (1 year), then I went back to work and I volunteered as a volunteer in the reservists (6 year), where you get the sniper qualification, then I was out with the years to become part of the air force, so I went back to modeling......and shooting instructor in a polygon. But the passion for the planes is in me!!!

Cheers

Linus

Sounds like you also have an interest in sticks that go bang and shoot out pieces of metal ;).  I own a number of weapons as well as a large stash of model kits.  I have a Springfield 1863 rifle that is actually over 150 years old.  When the bayonet (a.k.a. pig sticker) is attached it is about six feet, or just under two meters long.  And the thing still works!  Black powder and lead bullet slugs that you ram down the barrel but it sure is fun.  I have an M1 carbine that was manufactured in December 1944 and in about two weeks I should also have an M1 Garand rifle, the standard infantry rifle for U.S. forces during WW II.  Once I can get a look at it I should know how old it is.  Darn California and the 10 day waiting period!

Later,

Dave

P.S.  All of my firearms are locked in safes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, e8n2 said:

Sounds like you also have an interest in sticks that go bang and shoot out pieces of metal ;).  I own a number of weapons as well as a large stash of model kits.  I have a Springfield 1863 rifle that is actually over 150 years old.  When the bayonet (a.k.a. pig sticker) is attached it is about six feet, or just under two meters long.  And the thing still works!  Black powder and lead bullet slugs that you ram down the barrel but it sure is fun.  I have an M1 carbine that was manufactured in December 1944 and in about two weeks I should also have an M1 Garand rifle, the standard infantry rifle for U.S. forces during WW II.  Once I can get a look at it I should know how old it is.  Darn California and the 10 day waiting period!

Later,

Dave

P.S.  All of my firearms are locked in safes.

Wow, Dave one Springfield 1863, excelent, also my wife have M1 carbine general motor 1943 or 44, M1 garand we have in poligon for the fire contest, these are ex italian army in cal.7,62 nato, are perfects, I'm sorry for the great distance that divides us. Also I have a great number of model kits (to be assembled) can you send me your email address? My address email is : [email protected] my next project will be the C-5 in 1/144 Roden, with caracal decals

All the best

Linus

P.S. Also ours firearms are locked in safes.