1:48 Gloster Javelin FAW Mk 9, 5 Sqn, Mid 60s

After the disaster that was my previous build, the Classic AIrframes 1:48 Meteor NF 11, I decided it was time to dig out the next Gloster built aircraft that flew with 5 Sqn in the post-war period. This is part of a side-project of the long running collection I've been working on for a few years called "Aircraft my Father fixed! which you can see here:

This side project in intended to allow me to build aircraft from 5 Squadron, to which my father was attached in the latter years of WWII in India and Burma, particularly in the post war years. I've already done a Lightning Mk 6, a Tornado F3 and the aforementioned Meteor NK 11, so this build fills the gap between the Meteor and the Lightning from the late 50s to the late  60s.

Its the Airfix kit of course, but with decals from the Xtradecal set 48125, plus the Eduard cockpit PE set from which I only used the seatbelts as I found the Airifx cockpit perfectly adequate with some added dial decals from Airscale. This time I got the matt varnish right, unlike the Meteor which turned into a disaster and I'm very pleased with how it came out in the end.

DSC_0440.JPG

DSC_0441.JPG

DSC_0442.JPG

DSC_0443.JPG

DSC_0444.JPG

DSC_0445.JPG

DSC_0446.JPG

DSC_0448.JPG

DSC_0449.JPG

DSC_0452.JPG

• Like 56
  • Thanks 1

Thank you gents, it was a good build to get back into the swing of things after the disappointment of the Meteor. I seem to be in the mood for old RAF jets - Academy Hunter on the bench currently... makes a change from all that SciFi malarkey!

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, pipthepilot said:

Very nicely made and painted. The Javelin is a great subject. Is the ladder and inlet covers scratch built?

The ladder and FOD guards for intakes and exhausts are included in the Airfix kit.

• Like 1

Nice work on your Javelin - the Airscale instrument dials and Eduard seat belts really enhance the look of the cockpit - good photos too

CJP

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Kallisti said:

What stever219 said - nice additions to the kit, the ladder is excellent.

They do look really good, I have this kit in my stash but I didn't realise it had these parts.

Looks great, I really need to get around to building the three I've got!

Lovely job! I do like when people build a series of kits from a particular Squadron. I'm doing 85 Sqn, and have done the Javelin (converted to FAW.8). The Classic Airframes Meteor NF.11 (converted to NF.12) is next. 

My only minor comment is that the Javelins were gloss, so a semi-gloss varnish would have been more proto-typical, but that's a minor point in an otherwise great build. Mine fought me all the way!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello Kallisti,

Very great build... Hope that mine will look half as good as your is !

Will do the same bird with the same decal sheet... Sorry

I hope that it will not disturb ??

So I'll follow the 112th Sqdn collection most complete, 609th Sqdn, a Typhoon finished and 5th Sqdn, a Lightning done

Will look about 5th Sqdn aircrafts in CBI since I have a particular interest in that ToOp....

Congrats again.

Sincerely

CC

• Thanks 1