Compucolour/DBI Paints: the full range

lasermonkey

I forgot to add above...

I don't want to sound stupid here (ok. I am being stupid) but what is CSF 26 Fluorescent Clear Protective actually for? 

Steve

33 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

I forgot to add above...

I don't want to sound stupid here (ok. I am being stupid) but what is CSF 26 Fluorescent Clear Protective actually for? 

Steve

It's a (presumably) UV-resistant varnish with which to cover fluorescent paint.

HTH,

Mark.

• Like 1

Ah! That makes sense.....thanks!

Next question then would be: Where can I get a good Fluorescent orange paint that brushes on reasonably ok? I tried a fluorescent orange years ago and there was no way it was going to brush on and give any sort of coverage. I'm guessing it's a tricky colour to use, but I have a 1/72 Harvard that needs fluorescent orange. Any recommendations? 

Steve

Compucolor/DBI Paints Part 4, the saga continues, this listing is from a 12 page booklet that I got either from DBI or Maintrack Models. I don't remember; and, I don't have the envelope of package in which it came. I won't re-list the paint codes and names in the ranges listed unless there is a difference, addition, and/or subtraction. I will state that the "Standard Colours" ranges(gloss, eggshell(satin), and matt) in this listing also have FS, RLM, RAL, and BS381C/4800 after a number of them. If you want me to list them; let me know and, I'll do it.

Standard Colours Matt                                                 Special Finishes                                   German Aircraft Colours 1936-45                 USA Aircraft Colours Post 1946        Swedish Aircraft Colours

CSM13 Stone(in the previous listing it is Ochre)          CPR1 Grey Etch Primer                        CG28  RLM 05 Elfenbein                               No change, but ANA colour no.       No change                                  

not listed, otherwise the same            CG29  RLM21 Weiss                                     listed for some

Standard Colours Gloss                                                British Aircraft Colours 1936-45           On the 1 sheet listing, CG28 is listed as       Finnish Aircraft Colours                    USA Aircraft Colours WW2

No change                                                                    No change                                           RLM21 Weiss; CG 29 is not listed                 No change                                        No change, but, FS no. listed for most

Standard Colours Eggshell                                           British Aircraft Colours Post 1946       German Aircraft Colours Post 1946               British Aircraft Colours 1914-35       British AFV Colours 1939-45

No change, other than stating                                     No change                                           No change                                                    No change                                        No change

eggshell rather than satin

German AFV Colours 1939-45                                     Israeli AVF Colours                              French Aircraft Colours                                  USA Modern AFV Colours

No change                                                                   No change                                          No change                                                     CAA8  FS34151 Lt. Green

CAA9  FS30099 Earth Brown

Israeli Aircraft Colours                                                                                                                                                                                    The 1 sheet list did not list CAA8; and, CAA9 was listed as FS34151 Lt. Green

No change, but, ANA no. listed for a couple

All for tonight, will continue tomorrow(I hope).  

Joe                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Compucolor/DBI paints Part 5. The rest of the 12 page listing has one range of military paints(WW2 Italian AF), and a large range of Railroad colours.

Italian Aircraft Colours                                                                            British Rail/Railways

CI1    Alluminio                                CI13  Verde Mimetico 53193          CR1    Rail Blue                                CR14  Roof Grey(Maroon Coaches)           CR26  Scot Rail Lining Blue

CI2    Grigio Mimetico                     CI14  Grigio Azzurro Chiaro 1         CR2    Rail Grey                                CR15  Roof Grey(Vans & Coaches)            CR27  Rail Freight Grey

CI3    Giallo Mimetico 1                   CI15  Verde Oliva Scuro 2               CR3    Coach Cream                         CR16  Roof Grey(Diesels)                           CR28  No colour listed, but,

CI4    Giallo Mimetico 2                   CI16  Verde Oliva Scuro 3               CR4    Coach Crimson(Carmine)       CR17 Lt. Grey(Diesel Stripes)                     the code is.

CI5    Giallo Mimetico 3                   CI17  Nocchiola Chiaro 4                CR5    Maroon                                  CR18  Yellow Green(Diesel Skirts)              CR29  Diesel Loco Green

CI6    Giallo Mimetico 4                   CI18  Bianco Avorio 5                     CR6    M. U. Green                            CR19  Sherwood Green(Diesel Stripes)

CI7    Marrone Mimetico 1              CI19  Bianco Neve 6                        CR7    Steam Loco Green                 CR20  Freight Crimson

CI8    Marrone Mimetico 2              CI20  Verde Anticorrosione             CR9    Early Bauxite                          CR21  Warning Panel Yellow

CI9    Marrone Mimetico 53193      CI21  Bruno Mimetico                     CR10  Late Bauxite                           CR22  Inter City/Scot Rail Dk. Grey

CI10  Verde Mimetico 1                                                                          CR11  Early Freight Grey                  CR23  Inter City/Scot Rail Lt. Grey

CI11  Verde Mimetico 2                                                                          CR12  Rail Red                                 CR24  Inter City/Scot Rail Lining Red

CI12  Verde Mimetico 3                                                                          CR13  Frame Brown                         CR25  Inter City/Scot Rail Lining White

That is it for tonight; many of the British Rail colours also have a BS381C/2660/2600/4800 number as well. Again, will be happy to let you know what they are. Just ask.

Joe

Edited by JPuente54
finish the range
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JPuente54 said:

That is it for tonight; many of the British Rail colours also have a BS381C/2660/2600/4800 number as well. Again, will be happy to let you know what they are. Just ask.

Joe

Joe,

Do any of the blues have BS381c 169 listed against them? Been trying to find an equivalent for Traffic Blue amongst the various railway paints available.

Thanks,

Mark.

Overton Hants, does that ring any bells

I followed the sad saga in SAM and other modelling mags at the times and had a desperate need for RAF Blue Grey for a COD Gannet I was building ( that subject has been a frequent flyer in my life it seems) and no other paint range listed it

Compucolor2 were being produced again by one of the original company owners and sold from an address in Overton

My duties with the AA at the time had me driving trucks from Brum to Basingstoke so they could be converted into Relay trucks and returning to Brum in newly converted ones to put into service

As this was a decent return trip I had a choice of where to take my break, I called Compucolor2 to see if I could pop round and pick up some RAFBG

"Yes come round we are at.."

It turned out to be a nice little det res on a nice new estate

All the paints were in cardboard boxes in the hall and the lounge

I collected my CBC18 and a complementary cuppa coffee and drove home

Still have some now and it still sprays nicely too

IMG_20180603_120856.jpg

The owner said he was going to arrange for it to be reintroduced by someone else, seems it did happen then

• Like 2

On 6/2/2018 at 4:48 AM, JPuente54 said:

I will state that the "Standard Colours" ranges(gloss, eggshell(satin), and matt) in this listing also have FS, RLM, RAL, and BS381C/4800 after a number of them. If you want me to list them; let me know and, I'll do it

22 hours ago, JPuente54 said:

Hi Joe, really appreciate you taking the time to transcribe the leaflet/booklet for us, and don't want to put you to a load more trouble adding all the standards numbers for each paint, so I was wondering if you could post scans of the pages for those interested?

I've added the DBI paints list to Scalemates to cover the later Compucolor2/DBI bottled paints, the original Compucolor tinlets are here (still works in progress pending any further info)

Mark, there is no BS381c/169 equivalent listed I'm afraid. 

Dave, I have no way to scan at this time; my ex has a printer that may(emphasize may) have that capability; but, don't know right now. Will ask her tomorrow.

Joe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here is Part 6 of the Compucolor line; these are all Railway Colours. Again, many have a BS381C/4800 listing.

Great Western Railway                  London North Eastern RR                London South Western RR        Great Eastern Railway                    General Finishes                           Transport Colours

CR31    Loco Green Post 1945       CR51    Darlington Loco Green       CR71    Adams Pea Green          CR101   Loco Blue                          CRS1    Loco Black                        CT1    London Transport Red

CR32    Loco Green Post 1928       CR52     Doncaster Loco Green       CR72    Drummond Green         CR102 Loco Blue(Undercoat)         CRS2    Lining Gold                       CT2    NBC Red

CR33    Coach Brown                     CR53    Loco Garter Blue                 CR73    Coach Salmon                                                                      CRS3    Lining Orange                   CT3    NBC Green

CR34    Coach Cream                     CR54    Freight Grey                        CR74    Coach Purple                 Pullman                                         CRS4    Lining Yellow                     CT4    NBC White

CR35    Freight Grey                       CR55    Freight Red Oxide              CR75    Purple Brown                 CR105   Pullman Cream                 CRS5    Signal Red                         CT5    Brighton, Hove & Dis. Pollen

CR36    Loco Indian Red                 CR56    Coach Teak                                                                           CR106   Pullman Umber                CRS6    Signal Yellow                     CT6    Brighton, Hove & Dis. Ayres Red

CR37    Roof White                                                                                London North Western RR                                                               CRS7    Buffer Beam Vermillion     CT7    Southdown Ivory

CR81    Chocolate Lake              South Eastern & Chatham RR        CRS8    Smoke Box Black               CT8    Southdown Lt. Green

London Midland Scotish              Southern Railway                             CR82    Coach White                  CR110   Brunswick Green               CRS9    Underframe Dirt                CT9    Southdown Dk. Green

CR41    Crimson Lake                   CR 61    Dark Olive                           CR83    Blackberry Black                                                                   CRS10   Sleeper Brown                  CT10   East Kent Grey

CR42    Maroon                            CR62     Light Olive                                                                             Somerset & Dorset Joint RR          CRS11   Track Brown                      CT11   East Kent Red

CR43    Freight Light Grey            CR63     Malachite(Pre-War)            Caledonian Railway                    CR120   Prussian Blue                    CRS12   New Sleeper Grey             CT12   East Kent Cream

CR44    Freight Dark Grey             CR64    Freight Brown                     CR91    Deep Lake                                                                             CRS13   Worn Loco Black              CT13   Tilling Red(Pre 1970, cur. W. York.)

CR45    Freight Bauxite                 CR65    Freight Stone                      CR92    Coach White                                                                                                                               CT14   Tilling Cream     "           '

CR66    Malachite(Post-War)           CR93    Loco Blue(Deep)

CR94    Loco Blue(Pale)

That is all that is on the two(2) listings. There may be other listings that have colours not on my lists still out there. Compucolor was around long enough to offer more than what is here. @lasermonkey, good luck in discovering the ones not here. Dave, here are a few more to add.

HTH

Joe

• Thanks 1

I had no idea these paints existed due to building my first kit around 1995! 😐

I did pick up a pot of the PRU Blue in a recent ebay joblot of paints/tools etc. I was getting ready to bin the glass jar of the stuff, when i thought id just prod it to see just how hard the paint had gone ;)

Turns out it was a skin..and it stirred up lovely! If i use it on my airfix spitifre PR ill report back!

PS Chaps should i thin this paint for brushing or is the consensus to brush directly from the pot?

Regards!

3 hours ago, degsye39 said:

I had no idea these paints existed due to building my first kit around 1995! 😐

I did pick up a pot of the PRU Blue in a recent ebay joblot of paints/tools etc. I was getting ready to bin the glass jar of the stuff, when i thought id just prod it to see just how hard the paint had gone ;)

Turns out it was a skin..and it stirred up lovely! If i use it on my airfix spitifre PR ill report back!

PS Chaps should i thin this paint for brushing or is the consensus to brush directly from the pot?

Regards!

I haven't thought much about it but being 'from' back in the day when these were current paints I'd add a small dab of thinner to help eke it out for brushing, on the basis of "when it's gone its gone and you'll wish it wasn't" and add decent amounts of thinners if you intend spraying with it

I wish I could pop round to my LMS and collect new supplies as and when...

😦

• Like 1

20 hours ago, perdu said:

I haven't thought much about it but being 'from' back in the day when these were current paints I'd add a small dab of thinner to help eke it out for brushing, on the basis of "when it's gone its gone and you'll wish it wasn't" and add decent amounts of thinners if you intend spraying with it

I wish I could pop round to my LMS and collect new supplies as and when...

😦

I have to say it does seem rather scarce! The proverbial rocking horse droppings come to mind.. I'm looking forward to slapping some on my brush now ;)

Cheers!

Edited by degsye39
  • Haha 1

On 6/4/2018 at 3:39 AM, JPuente54 said:

Mark, there is no BS381c/169 equivalent listed I'm afraid. 

Dave, I have no way to scan at this time; my ex has a printer that may(emphasize may) have that capability; but, don't know right now. Will ask her tomorrow.

Joe

Joe,

Thanks for having a look, guess the quest continues!

Mark.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, thanks to @lasermonkey and eBay, I now have a decent little stash of DBI paints. Lovely, lovely paints to use and I'm getting airbrush quality finishes with a hairy stick and a little thinner. Where are these paints now? We need them!

Small question however. These have been the first bottle paints I've used. After use, I make sure that the bit of cardboard is inside the lid and that the lid is firmly screwed back on, but I still can't seem to avoid the skin of paint that forms between uses. Is this normal for bottled paints, or is there something I can do to avoid it?

TIA

Steve

• Like 1

I've noticed that too. The skinning over of the paints, that is. I read somewhere that once you have screwed the lid back on (tightly, of course) if you invert the bottle for a few minutes, it helps create a better seal.

Cheers,

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...