HMAS AE2 - Submarine - Scratchbuilt

HMAS AE2 - World War One Submarine.

About a decade ago I started idly dreaming about scratchbuilding a model of the famous Australian World War One submarine AE2.

One year ago, almost to the day, a generous fellow modeller lent me a set of his plans for an E-class submarine.  11 months ago work started. Three days ago I finished the model.

After what seems like a very long time and a great deal of fun, here's the result. Please enjoy!

30u8HHO.jpg

GoaF237.jpg

iwkedug.jpg

ruug3Sy.jpg

8RkdLQR.jpg

DbPsM4e.jpg

wYn3Sfh.jpg

Those of you that have been following the WIP thread will know that the last week of this project was essentially a blinding sprint to get this thing completed in time for the Western Australian Scale Model Exposition (WASMEx). So how did I go in the competition?

Well have a look at the photo below and have a guess which one won!  Hmmmmm.... No real surprise!

nRwRbpH.jpg

Yep - My little submarine came second in the maritime scratchbuilt class.  This was what I expected all along because there's one guy here in Perth who is an absolute master of maritime scratchbuilding (lets call him GW shall we). I  figured all along that he would win  - that's his HMS Vanguard in the Perspex case! Scratchbuilt - from balsa of all things!  Well - there's nothing wrong with being beaten by a true champion! :thumbsup: Congratulations GW, a deserved win! In any case, I can't complain because it was GW that lent me the plans in the first place!

Psohf3Z.jpg

So my submarine came second, which is fine by me, especially since there was a field of nine entries in the maritime scratchbuilt category. So it looks like maritime modelling in Western Australia is in good health.

If you are interested in how this model was made please have a look at WIP log which can be found here...

And if you will allow me to indulge in a small 'plug' - why not check out my next project - a scratchbuilt, 1/32 Avro 504.  That WIP can be found here...

All comments and critiques most welcome.

Warmest Regards -

Bandsaw Steve

• Like 45
  • Thanks 2

Congratulations on a sterling effort - the final presentation is a delight.  A hugely impressive level of scratchbuilding all around - I can only agree with you about the local standard:o

Well done

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is simply superb Steve! Wonderful scratchbuilding, excellent finishing & the seascape looks real enough to dive into! 

I'm off to have a read of the wip thread & to follow your Avro build!

Brilliant work!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The model is stunning and any sort of award at a large show these days is a considerable achievement. Congratulations.

Contented of Mars

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well done Steve. Excellent model, great achievement, and an entertaining blog, to boot! Quite apart from the model itself, you’ve managed to raise awareness of early Australian submarine operations, types, and their associated sacrifices. Again, well done. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Steve, congratulations on the result of both your bit of wood-bashing and the competition. It was a truly intriguing build, and I learnt a lot from you, and you know what my next project is going to be too!

Well done, a fabulous boat.

Ray

• Thanks 1

Congratulations Steve great job and thanks for all the tips during your build will have to try some out. :book:

beefy

• Thanks 1

Well done Steve! I’ve thoroughly enjoyed following all of your builds in BM to date and thank you for sharing with us. 

This is a lovely model that, under slightly different circumstances (mainly the sinking of the Vanguard model) would have been a worthy winner!

Im off to Aircraft WIP to follow the Avro 504k...

• Thanks 1

The funny thing is that ‘GW’ has about 40 models at that scale and all built to the same standard. So even if Vanguard had sunk he just would have rolled out HMS Nelson, or Barham, or Howe, or Ark Royal, or Illustrious or Royal Oak.... you get the idea! 😕 So even sabotage wouldn’t have helped. 🙄

• Haha 6

5 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

The funny thing is that ‘GW’ has about 40 models at that scale and all built to the same standard. So even if Vanguard had sunk he just would have rolled out HMS Nelson, or Barham, or Howe, or Ark Royal, or Illustrious or Royal Oak.... you get the idea! 😕 So even sabotage wouldn’t have helped. 🙄

Maybe you should have made AE2's torpedo tubes operational. :lol:

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Standing there with a submarine wondering how to defeat a fleet like that probably isn't too dissimilar to how Doenitz felt.

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Standing there with a submarine wondering how to defeat a fleet like that probably isn't too dissimilar to how Doenitz felt.

I think Admiral Doenitz took winning his competition more seriously than I did! 😀🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Maybe you should have made AE2's torpedo tubes operational. :lol:

Good idea! AE2 had beam launching torpedo tubes too - so GW might have got a big surprise when parking his battleship alongside!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, SimonL said:

I was at WASMEx at the weekend - I’m just in awe of the work you scratchbuilders do. Congratulations!

Hi Simon, great to hear from someone who was there. In case you are interested, I was the MC at the prize giving - and might be again next year (unless I was too dreadful!) Feel free to say gidday if you make it to next year’s show. Always nice to meet a fellow Britmodeller! 👍

Biggest is not always best.  If I'd been judging I would have awarded it first based purely on the seascape - that's stunning, especially since from reading the WIP thread that was your first.

• Thanks 1