A sea base question for the nautical types.

Hi all, 'numpty' question.

I've got the idea of doing a sea base for my vessels. I've watched a number of videos on making sea bases but I've found nothing that helps me with a particular situation. The situation is of a moored ship at sea being held by one anchor. My question is, how would you model the sea in relation to the ship when on one anchor? What is the effect of swell, sea state, tide 'cos I don't know?

Stuart

Apart from the ship pointing in the waves direction I don't think there'd be any. If you want to make it a little 'rough' It'd look like the vessel was moving only without a wake or pronounced bow wave. If you made your sea really, really rough waves would still break over the bows (although the ship's captain might decide not to anchor in those conditions and just steam very slowly into the waves).

Tom

• Like 1

If you want to make the sea dynamic you need to add a a swell, possibly with the Light Ship riding up it. I use a putty based material to form the wave.

The key thing to remember is the wavelength between the peaks of the waves and the height of the waves are related. If you want high waves caused by a stiff breeze for instance you are looking at a wave height of around 4m with a wavelength of around 75m, with occasional white horses forming. In the shallow North Sea the wavelength would be shorter but it would still be measured in 10s of metres.

I hope this helps.

• Like 4

Cheers Paul, interesting stuff, looks like a relationship between wave height and wavelength to me? The location...Goodwin Sands.

Cheers Tom, love the painting and would love to do thatscene but I think as a first seascape, it might be a little advanced.

I think I need to do a little practice bases.

Stuart

• 3 months later...

Back to thinking about a base for my boat build.

I'm thinking of going along with something like this.

The floating platforms look easy enough to scratch as will the tall vertical risers that the platforms are attached to. Can anybody tell me how these platforms are attached to the riser to stop them from floating off?

Stuart

Not looking at the picture but if it is basically a metal loop, attached to the platform, but free to move on the the riser, this would allow vertical movement but not horizontal movement..

• Thanks 1