Revell 1/72 Vampire F.3 out

Seahawk

This one caught me by surprise on the shelves:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/RV3934

It's a rebox of the relatively recent Special Hobby kit and I expect the parts are unchanged.  Also present on the runners are clipped wingtips and 4 rather nice rockets on rails for the FB.5, the extended starboard intake fairing for the FB.9 and the framed canopy (but not the squared off fins) for the F.1, plus a transparent upper nose section for a variant that I'm not aware of.  Very nice Cartograph transfers for VT821 L of 601 Sq, North Weald, 1952, and VF316 A of 608 Sq, Thornaby, 1951.

I know there were expressions of disappointment about the air intake shape when Special Hobby first issued this kit.  They are perhaps a bit "squashed" vertically but they don't scream "wrong" at me when I look at the parts on the runners.  But Vampires are not my subject.  NB I am NOT saying they have been modified.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seahawk, 

l'm pretty sure / almost certain that the intakes were corrected with the release of this F.3 version. The original F.5 had the slightly off looking intakes, however the new corrected ones (in addition to the FB.9) were added to the F.3 and soon to be released  F.1 kits. 

HTH.. & Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 2

I think the F.3 has be around for several months as I have a Revell one in the stash and they have corrected the intakes. Aftermarket decals and you could build the FB5 from the box, which is one reason I bought the kit. 

Picked one of these up today in my LHS (the lovely Langleys in Norwich) - what a great little kit!

If I want to build an FB5, what are the main differences chaps?

Cheers

Simon

Clipped wing tips, seldom seen with underwing tanks, many had the extended starboard intake fairing introduced on FB9's which contained a cold air unit for use in hot and sweaty climates!  Otherwise they're the same in appearance.

Should be possible from the kit.

Edited by Wez
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly the Special Hobby/ Revell one has some fuselage and wing shape problems. The exhaust pipe is oval and not round, the wing chord at the root is too big, and dimensionally there are some differences with the real deal, but no Vampire model is perfect. For the measurements, this is the link:

Great that it has the parts for the FB.9.  Some of the more interesting schemes were worn by this mark.  I've owned the Modeldecal sheet for years awaiting this mark.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As long as you’ve got extra weight ahead of the main wheel ground contact points you should be OK.  My old Heller FB. 5 had a spherical fishing weight encased in plasticene above the gun bay doors behind the cockpit and quite happily sat on all three wheels.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2018 at 11:41 PM, Jacarre said:

Sadly the Special Hobby/ Revell one has some fuselage and wing shape problems. The exhaust pipe is oval and not round, the wing chord at the root is too big, and dimensionally there are some differences with the real deal, but no Vampire model is perfect. For the measurements, this is the link:

Interesting, I was going to ask if we'd ever managed to bottom out which was correct