F-18 Super Hornet colour question.

According to the Navy's Mil-Std-2161C which is the latest version available on-line, it is supposed to be FS 36320 over FS 36375.  It can sometimes be difficult to differentiate between the two colors.  I recently built a YF-16A in the original gray finish using those two colors and it is hard to make out the difference between them at times.  What is weird is that those same two colors were on the original F-15 gray scheme and it was easy to tell the difference between the colors.  On the one shot of the F-16 you can see the darker gray on the wings and lerx.  Just before the rear edge of the windshield where it meets the canopy, you can see the edge of the FS 36320 rise up and become basically an anti-glare panel.

Later,

Dave

21 hours ago, e8n2 said:

According to the Navy's Mil-Std-2161C which is the latest version available on-line, it is supposed to be FS 36320 over FS 36375.  It can sometimes be difficult to differentiate between the two colors.  I recently built a YF-16A in the original gray finish using those two colors and it is hard to make out the difference between them at times.  What is weird is that those same two colors were on the original F-15 gray scheme and it was easy to tell the difference between the colors.  On the one shot of the F-16 you can see the darker gray on the wings and lerx.  Just before the rear edge of the windshield where it meets the canopy, you can see the edge of the FS 36320 rise up and become basically an anti-glare panel.

Later,

Dave

Thanks for the insight. I didn't quite get the "anti-glare panel" part but I did compare the two FS colors you mentioned and they look very much alike. However, those are the new colors. What about the bluish tone of the Hornet in the picture? That's the one I'm after. (Unless it's an illusion)

I would say that the bluish tone is probably more from the angle and the time of day, in addition there are all kinds of differentials at play dealing with the camera and types of filters being used.  On the smaller pictures it definitely looks gray.  There may very well be a new Mil-Std-2161 out there that has not been released on-line yet.  Do a search on it every so often using your favorite search engine.  Who knows what you might find!

Later,

Dave

• 9 months later...

I have a question too about the colours of the Super Hornet, to be exactly about the vertical stabilizers. What colour are they, I've seen drawings where the outside is painted like the underside (as they are bent outwards, like on the instruction sheet of the Revell 1/72-F/A-18F), and on other drawings (like in the Hasegawa-instructions), they are the same colour as the topside. It seems that there some confusion about it, and I think that it can change from airframe to airframe, as studies of many photos show no clear pattern. Could it even be that when repainting them, the rules were not applied 100% correctly?

Thanks for any hints!

Alex