First Light: Geoff Wellum's Spitfire K9998 QJ*K

Evening all,

Haven't entered a GB for ages, but could not miss the RAF's 100th Anniversary. By coincidence, I have just finished reading Geoffrey Wellum's book First Light, and having seen him on the BBC's recent programme about the RAF thought it would be a perfect project. This was helped by finding a thread somewhere that gave a serial to go with his first assigned spitfire on 92 sqn, K for King in the pre-1947 phonetic alphabet (I think!). Am going to use the last of my old tool Airfix Spitfire MK1s (still a very good kit) out of the box, with codes and serials from the spares box. The obligatory sprue shots before a quick dash of Tamiya primer....

IMG_20180429_163227_1.jpg

IMG_20180429_1633061.jpgIMG_20180429_1633241.jpg

• Like 5

I did too. Although it's a bit of a cliche to do a Spitfire, it and the Battle of Britain is always going to be the critical moment in the RAF's history. I think Geoffrey Wellum must be one of the very last pilots still alive from the BoB; I think the BoBMF has P7350 painted up with his codes on the right hand side of the plane at the moment, funnily enough K for King. I think this plane got badly damaged in early September, being replaced by G for George, but not before he did some damage to the 'other side' with K. 

Cheers, P

• Like 1

Quick update! Being a simple kit, things have moved along quickly. I added the bar that runs from the back of the headrest to the main fuselage from plastic rod, and did the same for the aerial - I understand that K9998 had the earlier pole type aerial from comments online, and it would figure since she was built in the intial batch ordered. I also added a piece of clear plastic for the reflector gunsight. The plan is to do this wheels-up, in flight; and on that note, I also had a go at making my own stand. I got a fence post cap for 50p from the local hardware store, sanded it and buffed it up with beeswax. I found a piece of brass tube, and after drilling a hole in the wood I had a pretty oood stand. It also helped that the brass tube fitted the hole for the light under the fuselage perfectly. Pilot next!

IMG_20180506_205503.jpgIMG_20180506_210050.jpgIMG_20180506_210116.jpgIMG_20180506_210754.jpg

Edited by PaulR
  • Like 6