Airfix vs Italeri Jeeps +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

OK - after a few glasses of Sainbury's finest Pinot - here are another 120 decals...

jeep193.jpg

I've reverted to spray can gloss varnish this time - they have had 2 heavy coats and they will get three more in the morning - in an attempt to 'stiffen up' the chewing gum decals.  They say in the instructions that it can make the decals brittle - but that is exactly what I think I need at this point.

We shall see - failing that I don't know what to do... :shrug:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BIG X said:

OK - after a few glasses of Sainbury's finest Pinot

yeah - that's the approach I tend to take to modelling (or indeed any other) problems 😁

• Haha 1

I usually leave the varnish on inkjet transfer film to dry overnight before using. I had a couple of failures when I first used the product because I used matt varnish and non acrylic varnish. A coat of gloss acrylic varnish first and then matt varnish on topworks fine.

• Thanks 2

UPDATE - After 6 'liberal' coats of gloss spray varnish - the decals have stopped 'shrivelling' - pour on enough gloss and they toughen up.  I tested one first - then went for it...

jeep194.jpg

...it is supposed to be a 'stencil' hence the missing bits of text.

Does anyone need 118 MILITARY POLICE decals :lol:

jeep195.jpg

...now I can get on with the weathering - phew - it's all go.

• Like 1

Nearly there now - just been weathering - some more to do - but I really want to get this finished tonight.  If it all dries OK :fingerscrossed: I will slap on a bit of matt varnish and call them done.

I may even finish off with some 'conclusions' of the 'comparison' between the Airfix and Italeri - I've learned a lot...

• Like 2

Well I  didn't 'quite' make it - but I'm 99.9% there - still need some windows and a bit of touching up... but I'm done for now...

...I've got a pontoon bridge to build...

jeep196.jpg

jeep197.jpg

jeep198.jpg

...catch you all in the Airfix GB - WHICH HAS JUST STARTED - NOW...

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great work on the jeeps Steve

Thanks Mate - Not my best work - not even fun if I'm honest - but they deserve finishing properly - so I will persevere and do some 'tidying up'...

• Like 3

OK - Final post before I call these completed.  I unmasked the Airfix windscreen and added very thin sheets of acetate to the Italeris - how I  got the measurement right I will never know.  But they all looked to 'clean'.  Now I have seen mucky windscreens with clean areas where the wipers have been going - so I  thought I'd give it a go - what could go wrong...

7mm punch and some masking tape on a bit of waste card...

jeep199.jpg

three done and then chopped in half...

jeep201.jpg

drum roll - tada...

jeep202.jpg

...a quick spray of matt varnish for the dirty bit and I'm off to do an RFI - which is now here...

Thanks as always for all the support / tips / advice and thanks for letting me waffle away like a loon - Steve

• Like 2

• BIG X changed the title to Airfix vs Italeri Jeeps +++COMPLETED+++
On 01/06/2018 at 09:08, Lawzer said:

yeah - that's the approach I tend to take to modelling (or indeed any other) problems 😁

Prefer a decent gin myself - Silent Pool is the current tipple of choice but it does seem to help solve problems, usually because once you've drank it you no longer care about whatever it was that was causing the problem!

• Haha 2

Turned out rather nicely in the end, even if you're not that happy with them.

I try to take each kit as a chance to improve my skills and I like to try and learn something new each time, even if it's fairly small.

11th Armoured are building up rather a sizeable force in your cabinet now!

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1