Tamiya 1/48 BF-109G question

Andrewvft

Hi all,

Has anyone built this kit yet?

I'm currently building it myself and I noticed this small triangular hole on the tail assembly, just under the front of the elevators. Does anyone know if that is supposed to be there? I don't see it on any other pictures and its really only noticeable when you view it directly side on and see the light from the other side.

Hello @Andrewvft ... I know there was a build by Reini78 you might want to check his WIP out. https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235033490-airwar-over-austria148-messerschmitt-bf109g-6-jg27/

Or this one

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235034068-bf-109g-6/

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

48 minutes ago, Andrewvft said:

Hi all,

Has anyone built this kit yet?

I'm currently building it myself and I noticed this small triangular hole on the tail assembly, just under the front of the elevators. Does anyone know if that is supposed to be there? I don't see it on any other pictures and its really only noticeable when you view it directly side on and see the light from the other side.

165227.05.jpg

note daylight visible just above elevator, there is a rod than runs through the tailplane, I presume that what you mean?

pic from here,  which is a rather useful walkround

http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/walkaround/165227/165227.htm

also tall tail

610937.jpg

again from the 109 lair

http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/index1024.htm

HTH

• Like 2

Is it possible that the tailplane is trimmed ( the entire stab moved, no movable tabs on the elevator) in full up or down exposing the opening normally covered by the stab fairings? Look at this photo of the 109 in Bankstown  with no fairings on the stab...

Also you may be looking at the opening for the elevator torque tube carry through.

UaloofN.jpg

Edited by pat d

Andrewvft,

The Bf-109 had an adjustable incidence  tailplane that was moved up or down by means of a jackscrew that was controlled from the cockpit, according to William Green's Warplanes of the Third Reich. The jackscrew was attached to the nose of the tailplane to raise or lower it at the leading edge. The opening described is for clearance for the elevator torque tube, as described by pat d

Mike

5 hours ago, Andrewvft said:

Thanks for the responses guys,

but here's what i'm talking about on the model

27928960858_dfab618e83_z.jpg

Should I fill it? Or is it supposed to be like that?

Don't fill it- as pat d said, it's the opening that the elevator torque tube passes through.

Mike

• Like 1

Here you go. You can see the light shining through the cut-out for the elevator torque tube. In the second photo the trimable stab at leading edge down ( nose up) trim setting,  uncovering the base blue paint colour. Tamiya got it right, and Mike is correct. HTH,

Pat D

uIoRpcB.jpgEB8dd6U.jpg

Edited by pat d
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Andrewvft said:

Thanks very much for the info guys! I thought maybe something was wrong with Tamiya as other kits don't feature it. I'm really amazed Tamiya would notice something like that.

They're actually pretty good about doing research and looking for original aircraft to measure and photograph. I remember an incident related to me by one of the Museum of Naval Aviation staff at Pensacola a while back when a group from Tamiya descended upon their F4U-1 Corsair and were all over it....guess what 1/48 and 1/32 kits appeared not long after that were the class of the field in those scales?

Mike

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

They're actually pretty good about doing research and looking for original aircraft to measure and photograph. I remember an incident related to me by one of the Museum of Naval Aviation staff at Pensacola a while back when a group from Tamiya descended upon their F4U-1 Corsair and were all over it....guess what 1/48 and 1/32 kits appeared not long after that were the class of the field in those scales?

Mike

Their 1/72 Corsair isn't too shabby either

2 hours ago, Chuck1945 said:

Their 1/72 Corsair isn't too shabby either

Tell me about it! Why they don't go ahead and do the rest of the versions in 1/72 and 148 is beyond me...they wouldn't be able to mold them fast enough to meet demand!

At least in 1/72, we are still waiting for a decent F4U-4/5/7, and AU-1! I've got two of each of their 1/72 Corsair releases.

• Like 1