1/72nd Soft Skin Collection.

I built these models around 30 years ago (when I could still see without glasses). They are a mix of 1/72nd and 1/76th. Nothing was built OOTB, and I added some stowage and some scratch built items.

First up is the Airfix M3 Half Track. As far as I can remember, this was completely OOTB with added stowage such as the camnets made from bandage soaked in dilute PVA glue and stretchers made from tissue/PVA and plastic rod. In those days, I didn't bother with drilling out the headlamps and filling them with clear plastic, just painted then silver!

653cef3c-acc4-4652-9365-295b49f7b0bd.JPG

040a357e-0b9a-4b8e-9dab-53e64cd97f1f.JPG

Another 1/76th model from Airfix is the Austin K6. Using a set of well known plans (which I can't remember the name of), I built the signals body to mount on the back. One thing that I wasn't happy with on this one was the glazing, or lack of, because there is none in these kits. I tried using MicroScale's Chrystal Kleer, with mediocre results.

ebd04f0e-b99e-4cca-91fb-e59305c76731.JPG

1bdc6128-b2ee-4861-9694-efba1711cf79.JPG

The CMP 30cwt was scratch built on a cut down Airfix chassis and wheels (I can't remember which one). Once again, this was built using plans and was a fairly easy build due to the fact that there are no curved parts apart from the front mudguards. The canvas tilt is tissue/PVA. It did win it's class at the IPMS Nationals one year, but to be fair, there was only one other entry in the class:(.

1b152995-c433-4353-8b19-2b56666c3c0d.JPG

48f930ec-2c74-4c27-9432-502792852b8c.JPG

The Deuce and a Half, is Hasegawa's offering in 1/72nd. The only things added to this one are the stowage items, rear view mirror and the tie downs on the lower edge of the canvas tilt.

3a4fddde-53a4-4c7b-a9d9-65c297522f72.JPG

74d33f8a-ea5c-44c0-9ba2-404a6c44bf01.JPG

This final one is labelled as a Zis 5. I don't know a great deal about Soviet WW2 trucks, but I built the Italeri Zis5 in 1/35th scale, and it has the squared off mudguards as opposed to the round ones on this model, similar to the Gaz trucks. Maybe someone more knowledgeable on Soviet trucks can tell me if it's correct.

Again, OOTB plus the added load and glazing.

2d82e4b0-72f8-452a-b36d-93094618c821.JPG

621eeefc-641a-40d8-a876-5051944f72da.JPG

Thanks for looking.

John.

• Like 27

Hi John. Hope you are keeping well. That is a rather fine collection of vehicles! I wish my models from 30 years ago were that good! I couldn’t put any of my old kits on here. Yours are beautifully painted and weathered. Very well done. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi John. Hope you are keeping well. That is a rather fine collection of vehicles! I wish my models from 30 years ago were that good! I couldn’t put any of my old kits on here. Yours are beautifully painted and weathered. Very well done. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Evening Stix. I'm fine, thanks for asking. I did enjoy building them at the time, but the scale is too small for my eyes today.

John.

3 hours ago, Gorby said:

I agree with Stix completely, I particularly like your CMP 30cwt - lovely job.

Thanks Gorby. Yes, that's my favourite too.

John.

2 hours ago, Kris B said:

That collection. And even after 30 years they still are in shape. 

.............and covered in dust!! Thanks Kris.

John.

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 20:39, Hairtrigger said:

Very impressive.

14 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Great collection. The only one I did was the M3, I can guarantee it wasn’t as good as yours. 

Pete

Thanks both. I appreciate the comments.

John.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Thud4444 said:

Every one of these are outstanding.  

13 hours ago, Jim Wasley said:

Great stuff John,my eyes are way older than thirty years and they are a delight for them,Cheers.

Thanks for the comments. Ever more stronger glasses is just one of the reasons that this scale is a no no for me now.

John.

15 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Thanks for the comments. Ever more stronger glasses is just one of the reasons that this scale is a no no for me now.

John.

Getting that way myself. 1/72 a thing of the past unless Specsavers do the proverbial Japanese Sniper's glasses.

Pete

• Haha 1

Great collection of models John, the only thing I have managed to retain from my modelling youth is a 1:35 Tamiya Tiger - in many ways I wish I'd lost it along with all my other efforts from those days!

Very nice models, I like small scale vehicles as it relates to my aircraft scale and model railways. They have lasted well. I appreciate that many modellers struggle with close up work due to the natural effects of ageing, but having had completely c**p eyesight all my life the ability to stay with 1/72nd is about the only compensation! 

The Austin K 6 conversion is a nice once. I think, that are the drawings from G. L., the Signals Container Truck.

Made by myself the the conversion with the Coles EMA crane.

modelldoc

13 hours ago, clive_t said:

Great collection of models John, the only thing I have managed to retain from my modelling youth is a 1:35 Tamiya Tiger - in many ways I wish I'd lost it along with all my other efforts from those days!

Thanks Clive. These are the only models from that time that I've kept. All of the aircraft went to the "Give a model a new home" sale at Telford.

John.

12 hours ago, Mr T said:

Very nice models, I like small scale vehicles as it relates to my aircraft scale and model railways. They have lasted well. I appreciate that many modellers struggle with close up work due to the natural effects of ageing, but having had completely c**p eyesight all my life the ability to stay with 1/72nd is about the only compensation! 

Thanks T. I know what you mean about eyesight problems. Recent events brought that home to me rather sharply.

John.

11 hours ago, modelldoc said:

The Austin K 6 conversion is a nice once. I think, that are the drawings from G. L., the Signals Container Truck.

Made by myself the the conversion with the Coles EMA crane.

modelldoc

Thanks Doc. I used to have a whole bunch of those drawings, but as I'm never going to build in that scale again, I passed them onto somebody who could make better use of them.

John.

3 hours ago, Hewy said:

A fine collection john, well kept for 30 yrs too, bits tend to get broken off and lost from mine after a couple of weeks 😁

Glynn 

'Morning Glynn, and thanks. They've moved house (and country) a couple of times, but for the most part, they've been in a display cabinet. There used to be a Revell Le Clerc as well at one point, but that sustained terminal battle damage. All of the aircraft have gone, but I kept photos of most of them.

John.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, glatisant said:

A magnificent little collection. Really impressive.

Many thanks. Sadly, it's never likely to be added to due to the fact that the scale is just too small for me nowadays.

John.

• 2 weeks later...