Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Recommended Posts

Sabrejet probably has dozens of better photos on the RF Sabres, but I don't, and I was pretty stoked when I found these while looking for Navy China Lake QF-86's. Not many photos on the RF-86F, at least in my small collection, so I thought some of you would like seeing these. I do have one Kodachrome of a JASDF RF-86F taken in '53-54 by my late father when he was with the 8th FBG at Itazuke AB- will have to dig it out with what I think was an SB-17G photo- also in Japanese markings.

Mike

 

http://yocumusa.com/sweetrose/duncan/rf86f.htm

Edited by 72modeler
corrected run-together text

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My old website!

 

These are showing a JASDF 'Haymaker' RF-86F; not converted to this spec until 61/62, so @72modeler your 53/54 photo would be a 67th TRW RF-86A (early 53) or Ashtray/Honeybucket RF-86F from 67th TRW. Any chance of a look???? :)

 

At last count there were:

1 Honeybucket RF-86A - crashed

6 Ashtray RF-86A - all crashed/scrapped

4 Ashtray RF-86F - all crashed/scrapped

 24 USAF Haymaker RF-86F (possibly a couple more) - some to ROCAF and ROKAF

18 JASDF Haymaker RF-86F - survivors to US Navy for spares use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

My old website!

 

These are showing a JASDF 'Haymaker' RF-86F; not converted to this spec until 61/62, so @72modeler your 53/54 photo would be a 67th TRW RF-86A (early 53) or Ashtray/Honeybucket RF-86F from 67th TRW. Any chance of a look???? :)

 

At last count there were:

1 Honeybucket RF-86A - crashed

6 Ashtray RF-86A - all crashed/scrapped

4 Ashtray RF-86F - all crashed/scrapped

 24 USAF Haymaker RF-86F (possibly a couple more) - some to ROCAF and ROKAF

18 JASDF Haymaker RF-86F - survivors to US Navy for spares use.

I will try to find the photo, SJ. IIRC, it might have had a checkerboard band on the fin and the standard hinomarus; I think there was a 3-digit number on it as well. I am still sorting through the hundreds of slides my late father took with his Canon SV4 35mm since 1954 until 2004.

 

Might I also assume you have the photos from the site below or have seen them? I seem to recall my Dad's Sabre photos, which also included USAF Sabres being overhauled or having major maintenance done (Fuselage sections detached- J-47's removed) might have been taken at a depot or maintenance base...Johnson?)

Mike

 

http://nabe3saviation.web.fc2.com/pjieitaie.html

 

Edited by 72modeler
added link to website

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Might I also assume you have the photos from the site below or have seen them? (...) http://nabe3saviation.web.fc2.com/pjieitaie.html

 

Nice site! I was aware of JASDF RF-4E's in both the Light Gull Gray over White scheme with the blue / yellow tail markings, and the tan / green ones with the woodpecker, but this is the first time I've ever seen the LGG / woodpecker combo. 

 

Cheers,

 

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very useful stuff for me being an avid Sabre fan. I have a number of Fujimi RF-86F kits in the stash and hopefully I'll be able to find out more to also build a RF-86A.

 

Stuart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All,

 

I thought I'd bump this to the top as an RF-86F will be my next Sabre build. I will be using the Fujimi 1/72 kit and will essentially building OOB unless their is something really wrong. At some stage, other Recon Sabres will be done but I was just wondering what the differences were between the various -F variants as I have recently read that the JASDF had the longer wing and different 'blisters' to that of the US?

 

Stuart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Courageous said:

Hi All,

 

I thought I'd bump this to the top as an RF-86F will be my next Sabre build. I will be using the Fujimi 1/72 kit and will essentially building OOB unless their is something really wrong. At some stage, other Recon Sabres will be done but I was just wondering what the differences were between the various -F variants as I have recently read that the JASDF had the longer wing and different 'blisters' to that of the US?

 

Stuart

In short:

 

Ashtray; all USAF - short-span slatted wing. Camera fit K-22 nose oblique camera with 36-inch cone and a K-22 vertical camera with 24-inch cone, but installed horizontally, aft of the nose-wheel bay. The ‘vertical’ camera would shoot through a 45-degree mirror, mounted on the camera itself to reduce the movement and blurred images seen on the early F-86A Ashtray configuration. Ashtray RF-86Fs would have the vertical camera window on the right-hand side lower fuselage and the lens of the nose-oblique would be covered by a pair of hydraulically-actuated clamshell doors when not in use. No side bulges were fitted but lower-fuselage fairings similar to JASDF RF-86F; the LH fairing covering the magazine-end of the camera and the RH end (as stated) housing the mirror/lens etc.

 

Ashtray RF-86Fs carried a 4-machine gun armament (upper pair each side), but blast panel configuration varied; some had all six muzzles while others had the lower pair blanked off. 

 

Ashtray 52-4357 below with nose oblique doors open (intake lip) and lower fuselage bulges. Note six-aperture gun blast panel.

 

11

 

Ashtray RF-86A (Ashtray RF-86F similar) schematic:

 

RF-86

 

The Haymaker USAF (later to RoKAF and RoCAF) and JASDF aircraft were slightly different between types. More of which later.

Edited by Sabrejet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why the strange nick names?

Interesting to see the JASDF RFs with the pianted on gun ports!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Why the strange nick names?

Interesting to see the JASDF RFs with the pianted on gun ports!

Different reasons: the first RF conversion of an F-86A was named 'Honeybucket No.1', and later just 'Honeybucket'. This was the individual aircraft name and later used on FEAMCOM paperwork to identify it. Honeybucket wasn't a project name.

 

However the two AMC-sanctioned RF Sabre conversions were given Project names - Ashtray to indicate the F-86As and F-86Fs equipped as shown above; and Haymaker to indicate the later aircraft with cheek bulges and similar to the JASDF RF-86Fs. Contrary to what I've seen written elsewhere, all RF-86 conversions (A and F) were carried out in the Far East - initially by USAF FEAMCOM (Tsuiki REMCO etc) and later, for the JASDF machines, in Japan.

 

The painted-on muzzles first appeared on the USAF Haymakers.

 

111

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks John, I think nicknames was misleading on my part, seems to be codenames for various RF fits wondered about their origins?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks Sabrejet for the explanation, comedy timing with posts there.

Those are very convincing painted on gun ports!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Duncan, nicely explained.

Is @canberra kid post of 'HONEYBUCKET' an RF-86A as I can see camera window in the nose but no fairings in lower fuselage?

 

Stuart

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Courageous said:

Thanks Duncan, nicely explained.

Is @canberra kid post of 'HONEYBUCKET' an RF-86A as I can see camera window in the nose but no fairings in lower fuselage?

 

Stuart

 

Yes - OP was looking for RF-86F suff so that one has confused things a bit. I may do a dedicated RF post to get things in one place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

I may do a dedicated RF post to get things in one place.

I think it was my 'bump' that started off about -F again but has morphed like a lot of things, so suggestion is an excellent idea.

 

Stuart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...